#15 - Blindfold Test (Discussions)

marcoliv

So who is playing that Burrellish guitar line? And the strings??

The liner notes identify the guitar player as Gene Bertoncini.

String section: Gloria Agostini, harp, Christopher Williams, Gene Orloff, violins, Alfred W. Brown, viola, Harry Lookofsky, tenor violin, George Ricci, cello.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

but this set up is a bit to out there with all the goings on. A Peter Sellers garden party or Carl Stallings for a pack of closeted tea totalers.

since when is such a mad hatter party "too out there" for you?! Are you in love or something? All of a sudden salivating over the Loussier and declining the gathering behind the Kaempfert residence as too weird for comfort.

but this set up is a bit to out there with all the goings on.  A Peter Sellers garden party or Carl Stallings for a pack of closeted tea totalers.

since when is such a mad hatter party "too out there" for you?! Are you in love or something? All of a sudden salivating over the Loussier and declining the gathering behind the Kaempfert residence as too weird for comfort.

:g

I wasn't really salivating was I. And the only "Kaempferts" I've heard were from Blazing Saddles.

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

If you are into Satie, try to get to listen to Aldo Ciccolini's albums. A world apart!

I am aware you may not agree but as we say over here 'Vive la difference!'

Mais bien sur ;)

never heard about Aldo Ciccolini. will try to find some stuff from him

Merci bcp!

the Marquis de Sade album is my favorite on the VEE series and i started to pay attention to Lalo's work after this one. the mixing of different musical genres is typical on a Creed Taylor production and the quality of Lalo's compositions are remarkable.

i went to Buenos Aires this year and burned copies for some friends there and none of them have enjoyed it even Lalo being from Argentina.

my father also does not understand why i´m so passionated about this album. my only negative remark is that it's too short.

anyone is familiar with the album "Return of the Marquis de Sade"? i still don't have this one but it's on my wish list.

Marcus

.....Awaiting Bluto Blutarski to give that greensleeving minstral one over the head and then the thing grooves into some Silver-esque vamp like Horace walked into the Globe Theatre on the wrong cue.

Opening credits sequence on 'Blackadder Series 2' maybe? :g

Edited by sidewinder

i was listening to track14 a few moments ago trying to identify Maiden Voyage there. never thought about it but it's true.

i love this song from Sting and what really surprised me is when Eric starts his improvisation and quotes Ravel's Bolero.

there is a fantastic jazzy version of this song on Sting's DVD All This Time with Jacques Morelembaum on cello and Christian McBride on bass plus other musicians of course.

i was not familiar with Eric´s work and decided to get this CD because Englishman was there. pure curiosity first, pure joyness after

Marcus

2.- The tenor shows a very wide melodic creativity while soloing, in the way Sonny Rollins and at some extent Dexter Gordon did (I´ve been listening to some Dex lately)

i agree with you Eke.

Dexter is in the house when i listen to this song.

by the way, on the album it says that is an original composition of the leader but i was sure someone would identify other songs on it. anyway, it is a lovely composition.

if this song was recorded several times it coulda become a standard. i´m always humming this song when i´m walking by myself...

Marcus

BFT 15 NOTES

I have to admit to following the discussion on this one before submitting my guesses. I don’t know any of these, and my curiosity got the best of me. On the one hand, it’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who hasn’t a clue about most of these (or all, in my case). OTOH, I am scared shitless as to what I’m gonna put on my BFT: you guys’ll have me figured out before a week goes by!

So without further ado and without having looked at anyone’s links, I offer cluelessness on display:

1. I like the electric piano on this one. In fact, I wish I could find more electric piano playing like this.

2. Sounds like Joe Henderson, Milestone era. (Like I would know what THAT sounds like, but it was the first thing that came to mind). That sounded like an electric piano backing the sax, but then it was an acoustic during the solo. Maybe I just wanted it to be an electric piano! I know this, though: I’ve been whistling the theme all day!

3. This and track 4 just kinda segued into each other when I wasn’t paying attention. Listening to this again, sounds sorta like Cannonball to me; but the drums make it sound more recent than ’75, so once again, HAFC™.

4. Well, I can see how people think this is Dolphy. I like the arrangement. Is this arrangement by Dolphy, and if so, is this typical?

5. Nice, but no clue.

6. Another nice one. Again, no clue.

7. Ehhhh, it’s okay. Sounds too smooth to me. Not a big fan of that fretless sound.

8. Very nice. Sounds like it could fit right in with Nefertiti-era Miles. That sax player needs to tone it down, though!!! :g

9. Nice piano trio stuff. Could be anybody. Goes on a bit too long, IMHO.

10. Nice idea, but again a bit too long. The drummer sounds like he has a few extra arms!

Now, I have been trying to comment on tracks 11-14 for the last three hours. In fact, in that time, I’ve just been letting those four songs keep re-playing themselves, in hopes that I could find some spare minutes to write something down. What I’ve discovered is that, individually, I can’t tell them apart; but taken together, whoo man, talk about a nice set of songs! :tup Marcus, you are a programming genius. I couldn’t’ve asked for a more relaxing soothing suite of songs to get me through the last three hours of mayhem here at the office! Great job, once again! Can’t wait to find out the answers to these four!

And now for track 15. Jim R is gonna kill me for this, but this track was absolute TORTURE! My first reaction, on hearing the first few words was to just jot something like “Vocals, me no likey” switch it off, and move on. Then I started reading people’s comments on this song and discovered that it’s a vocal version of one of my favorite Jobim songs. And after reading Jim R’s moving description (assuming, of course, he was moving when he wrote it. I know that when he and I write to each other, I’m generally moved to hysterics), knowing that when the Guru Bossa-rishi (that’s Jim, of course) gives his grand pronouncement on a song, I know that he knows that I know that I’m gonna trust what he says. So I go and listen to it. Honestly, I’ve had root canals that felt quicker than this. Whole songs have gone by in the time it took for this lady to get through one word!

So yeah, I didn’t particularly care for this version. Of course, it could’ve been worse: she coulda been singing “Two Kites.” Eh, bossa?

As I said in the sign-up thread, with the exception of the last song, for the most part, this is some staggeringly beautiful music. The kind I’d listen to on a relaxing Sunday afternoon! Thanks again, Marcus!

Al, I am NOT going to kill you. That would be insane. You just reacted differently to this singer than I did, and that's perfectly understandable. Analyzing singers and their impact on us is one of the most subjective aspects of being a music lover. There's not telling HOW any of us is going to react to a vocal performance on a BFT. I can't expect you to like everything I like, SILLY! So, no worries, old pal!! :)

Oh, I almost forgot... I'm blocking your e-mail address, so no need to write to me EVER again. Anybody know if there's an "ignore" function here yet?

(Al knows I'm probably kidding, but for the rest of you... :g:g:g:g:g )

Al, I am NOT going to kill you. That would be insane. You just reacted differently to this singer than I did, and that's perfectly understandable. Analyzing singers and their impact on us is one of the most subjective aspects of being a music lover. There's not telling HOW any of us is going to react to a vocal performance on a BFT. I can't expect you to like everything I like, SILLY! So, no worries, old pal!! :)

Oh, I almost forgot... I'm blocking your e-mail address, so no need to write to me EVER again. Anybody know if there's an "ignore" function here yet?

(Al knows I'm probably kidding, but for the rest of you... :g:g:g:g:g )

:lol: PTF! :lol: PTF! :lol:

(For those of you who participate in the BFT but don't HAFC what PTF means, and even for those of you who DKDC because it's NYCOT but are looking for an answer PDQ, I'll get up offa my DMZ and yell you that PTF is short for "pounding the floor," as in, Jack Benny used to laugh so hard he would pound the floor. Jim R makes me laugh so hard, I pound the floor. I used to pound the feline, but he's no longer with us)

Bravo Marcus!

Nice compilations without any single filler.

As usual, liked a lot guessed a bit, but I am sure track 11 is from Satie: Gymnopedies Gnossiennes album by Jacues Loussier Trio:

allmusic.com

Loussier is well-known for his Bach arrangements.

Unfortunately at present time he is at Telarc label and all his recording are all digital(DDD), that's why percussions sound like made of tin.

I highly recommend two Japanese releases:

The Newest Play Bach (KIJC 8022)

Play Bach/Concert for Lovers(TOCJ-561)

14 Tune is Sting's Englishman in New-York, no idea who's playing.

I wonder where is Airto Moreira?

Andrew