#15 - Blindfold Test (Discussions)

marcoliv

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here we go!

1. Right from the start you can tell this BFT came from Brazil. :) I love the rhodes, so this is an easy sell for me. The vocal harmonizing is nice. Good soprano sax tone. Good solo. Great start to the test!

2. I don't recognize the tenor. Nice melody. Pleasant track. I can't tell if this is a younger cat or an older guy. I am thinking older as the tenor solo progresses. I liked it, but not too memorable for me.

3. 3 Saxes in a row! Alto this time. What's next, Bari? :) Again, a nice solo. No clue on the players. Phil Woods, maybe?

4. Now this tune I know! I was just listening to a different version on a recent RVG (TRACK 5). I haven't heard this version before. They must have recorded it in Mammoth Cave! Great track. The alto sax player sounds a bit like Dolphy! Just great.

5. Nice post-bop. I like the trumpet and sax interplay. Simple, yet catchy. Sounds like something that might be on the Criss-Cross label.

6. Love those doorbells! The theme is familiar, but again, maybe not.

7. Nice piano intro, but then it falls into smoothie territory for me. The piano work saves it, but I don't care for the drumming or fretless bass. Interesting. I may have to give it another chance.

8. Ahhh. That's better. I prefer this kind of groove much more. Excellent. Great ensemble playing. Great solos. I'll have to find this.

9. The Duke! No idea on the musicians. Must have been recorded in the 80's. That bass sound is unmistakable.

10. Great duet. William Parker? Love the groove. Another add to the must get list!

11. Nice contemplative piece.Impressionistic. Satie-like in some ways. Beautiful.

12. Great segue. This has a classical feel to it too. Even before those violins jumped in! Guitar? Voice? Wow, this one kept me thinking throughout! Very cool.

13. Another outstanding track! Superb. I like the simple conga groove. Mesmerizing.

14. Almost like the intro to Maiden Voyage. I think I recognize the melody here. It's slowed down from the version I know. Is this a Chick Corea tune? Cool and mysterious. I liked it a lot. I have the feeling this is a pop tune.

15. ...and a nice vocal tune to end the set. I'm not big on vocalists, but this is nice.

Thanks Marcus for a great BFT. I'm going to do a lot of listening to this one.

i have been playing this one over and over in my car.

and #11 & 12 WOW!!1 :tup

Evan, some good news arrives by mail right? ;)

if you have some trouble later to get track12 i´ll be glad to burn you a copy

Marcus

Marcus,

this was the one downer for me out of your excellent compilation.

But I must say I was not impressed by that nr. 11. I guess this must be track 7 ofthis one:

http://www.telarc.com/gscripts/title.asp?g...9DWQBUEKG3H145E

I have not heard the record. I'm no fan of the pianist. And listening to it gives me good reasons (hope my guess is correct and not making a fool of myself ;)

Give me Aldo Ciccolini any time! He knew how to play that music!

Will post more - and more positive opinions - later.

Going to keep your BFT (except for track 11) for future enjoyment. Really a nice one!

Edited by brownie

Hi Marcus - an excellent compilation. I've just got time to post my thoughts on the first dozen:

1. Like it a lot ! Don't recognise the track or the players, obviously Brazilian, not my forte. I'm looking forward to finding out what this one is. Sounds as if it is from the late 70s/early 80s.

2. 'End of a Love Afair'. The tenor player sort of reminded me of Junior Cook but not sure. Sound of the session sounds like something Steeplechase might have put out. Dunno !

3. Variations on 'What is this thing called love'? Konitz perhaps on alto? Lovely track, superbly played.

4. Recognised the alto player immediately but the track looks like a real obscurity. Recorded in Rudy Van Gelder's washroom, perhaps on Benedetti's tape recorder? :g Sounds like Horace's tune and Dolphy on alto but not sure on the trumpet or the trombonist. Don Ellis?

5. Lovely track - first impression is that the trumpeter is Kenny Dorham but not sure what session this might be, certainly have never heard it before. Early 1960s?

Like this one lots..

6. 'Four Brothers' - not sure of the Lestorian tenor player. Vibist sort of reminded me of Mike Manieri. Pleasant but didn't grab me.

7. Another good track. Patittuci-like bass and the pianist sort of reminds me of Corea but it definitely isn't. Other than that, haven't a clue I'm afraid.

8. Not a clue on this one I'm afraid. Eric Alexanderish ... no...Ralph Bowen-ish tenor.

9. 'It Don't Mean A Thing'. Sort of reminded me of the 'Great Jazz Trio' in terms of style.

10. Excellent virtuoso bass playing but haven't a clue who it is. Nice !

11. Definite Slavic influence to this one. Bojan Z? I've heard him play something very similar live.

12. Aha - this one was not too difficult ! From the ebayer's favourite lucrative CD (well, it used to be at least ;) ). Track 4 from This One... This session gets quita a bashing at times but I personally like the vibe on it and RVG's recording does no harm either..

Thanks again Marcus ! :rsmile:

Edited by sidewinder

I posted with a negative view of track 11 earlier.

Now let's talk about all the goodies included in the BFT15. Lot of new jazz for me. And very enjoyable! I am sure I will be happy to look for a number of the discs when Marcus reveals all.

1- it had to start on a Brazilian mood and I enjoyed the Wayne Shorter like soprano but failed to identify these musicians,

2- took me some time to recognize the Love Affair tune played by a talented tenor saxophonist I would say is from the new generation,

3- enjoyed the variations on What Is This Thing Called Love by another talented alto saxophonist,

4- I recognised the tune (and the sax player) but not the version. With good reason because the vinyl original I have from the date has two orchestras playing the variatons on the theme at the same time 9a Tom Wilson monstrodity!)

So it is track 3 on the second album from that link:

http://www.outward-bound.de/html/records-06-eric-dolphy.html

Love the musicians on this session and will have to get the reissue which Marcus obviously used for his BFT. The sound on the original is just an awful gimmick!

5- Viva Brazil! once more. or am I wrong? (again!)

6- the Giuffre tune was no problem but who was playing that one?

7- could not pin this track. Sounds like Ahmad Jamal but I could not recognize the tune or the album,

8- a Coltrane quartet reconstruction. Was that McCoy on piano? Sounded a bit like him. Nice!!

9- a version which did not mean a thing, sorry .. no identification on this but another enjoyable interpretation,

10- both rhythm men sound familiar. I know I'll pursue this one. Loved it!

11- I have already said what I thought about this on my earlier post.

12- could not find a direct link to this discontinued album.

Closest I came to - but it does not list the album- is:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/artist.aspx...rs=prd&aid=2844

13, 14 - pianos all over. And both pleasant trios. I know the tune to 14

15- liked that final track very much. One more album I will have to explore.

More compliments to Marcus! Very well thought out grouping. As far as I am concerned I am hearing a lot of new and interesting music here...

Edited by brownie

Here are my guesses and/or comments:

1.- Nice Brazilian groove and vocals. The electric piano is not my cup of tea by any means, but on the other hand I liked the tone of the soprano sax, and the solo is also interesting. I´d place this recording somewhere in the middle of the 70´s.

2.- Great track! In my first listening I was sure I could recognize this tune, but no name came to my mind. Loved the way they state the melody. The tenor shows a very wide melodic creativity while soloing, in the way Sonny Rollins and at some extent Dexter Gordon did (I´ve been listening to some Dex lately), but can´t bring a name and don´t find anything to recognize him by his tone.

****1/2

3.- What is this thing called love (variations). Fantastic alto playing! I usually get annoyed when there are quite long breaks with drum solos, but this time it didn´t matter to me. One I´ll be looking for when the truth is revealed!

****1/2

4.- The alto reminds me to some "early" Dolphy, but I have no idea about this record. The tune should be any bebop treasure.

***1/2

5.- More Brazilian groove, I guess. No idea.

6.- I´m not good at recognizing vibists (am I good at anything? ;) ). Nice sax, kinda Lesterian on tone and phrasing, I dare say. The tune is remotely familiar???

***1/2

7.- Good pianism, but I really hate that bass sound and the drums don´t appeal to me either. It must be quite recent, maybe 80´s?. This tune had better turned into a piano solo... ;)

8.- Some Tyner group? No idea on tenor (I guess it´s not Trane though you can find some Coltrane-ish licks) or trumpet, though.

***1/2

9.- "It don´t mean a thing...". One of my (many) favorite Ellington tunes. He composed it as early as 1932, though in the 30´s it wasn´t one of their warhorses, with only two 30´s recordings. It became very habitual in the mid-40´s, though. I´d say I have this trio version, the piano intro sounds terribly familiar to me.... maybe here´s my mikeweil´s rule nº1 track? :)

****1/2

10.- Drums and bass duo. Not one of my favorite types of ensemble. Bass or drums solos bore me to death. Notwithstanding, this is a good track, and both players are true virtuosos.

11.- Not sure if I like it a lot. Nice but somehow repetitive? It´s too long. Classical influence, no doubt.

12.- Not my favorite classical/jazz fussion. This is a mixed bag, too mixed IMHO: instruments, influences... but don´t pay me any attention, I´m one of those who hates the Louissier-Bach discs.

13.- I don´t understand the use of the conga here. The classical piano trio alone would have worked much better. I always hate the use of "exotical" percussion when the feeling of the track and/or the groove don´t fit.

**1/2

14.- As I posted before...

This tune came to me like a sting ;) . It´s track 8 from this disc:

http://www.vervemusicgroup.com/product.asp...c=list&pid=9579

Liked it!

***1/2

15.- "Someone to light up my life". Her soulful voice sounds familiar (Nancy Wilson?). Just OK.

Thanks again, Marcus. I´ve enjoyed a very nice and pleasant compilation.

without further ado, here goes:

Track 1. This is the kind of stuff I used to like once upon a long ago; still dig the voices, but could do without the piano sound and the overall production. Sounds a lot like the Chick Corea recordings of the time. The soprano is too smooth and not to my liking either.

The best thing about this track are the voices and the finale, although the latter is marred by an overproduced sound. Not that this puts me in a bad mood, not at all, just that it doesn't enliven it either.

Track 2. The tenor rings a distant bell for sure. Starts off like some old master lazily doing a familiar track and moves into overdrive halfway through. Either it's an old master or it's Eric Alexander.

Track 3. after soprano comes tenor comes alto... very dry sound on this one and someone who can play too. My guess would be someone like Herb Geller or who have we.

Track 4. ah, it's him! and if that trombone is who I think it is, this is from that record that needs to see a reissue one of these days soon. Never heard this before.

Track 5. cool tune! very nice playing too. Sounds like a Brazilian group and that makes the guessing rather useless in my case. Overall this is somewhat reminiscent of a BN date, but with much more of a Brazillian bite of course.

Track 6. vibes sound like Hamp, but I doubt it is him. Tune sounds very familiar. I like this, though it wouldn't get me out of bed in the middle of the night.

Track 7. yuck! :g don't like the bass sound at all. the piano is pretty cool, though I could do with another sound on that too. this threatens to drift off into smooth territories when the bassist gets a go at it. the pianist seems drawn into the maelstrom and only hardly stays above the waters.

Track 8. Piano sounds like Tyner. The trumpet tenor frontline sound familiar somehow, sorta BN-ish. The tenor has this Shorter/Rivers blend thing going with lots of Trane too. The trumpet only seems to be there for support. Overall a nice track!

Track 9. Well you needn't have that Swing. wassup with the drums? they sound like they were recorded in the closet. This is straight ahead fun that doesn't inspire any guesses though.

Track 10. this one gets few comments as was dancing instead of typing. kech kech swoosh babumdabumdabumbum kech...

Track 11. oo boy, this is a let down after the fireworks. My guess it's this guy doing some more of his signature jazzy classical stuff. Satie?

Track 12. LOVE this stuff. Some serendipity brought me to that long titled OOP Verve disk I never heard, track 4 the samples at mp3.com tell me. The piano starts off like a regular Horace Silver to suprise us with some classically oriented solo that would make Körössy flip over. The strings are very beautifully used here; the voices kick MAJOR ass. Damn, I need to track this one down.

Track 13. the percussionist (mike would tell me off if I got the instrument wrong so I'd rather keep it general...) sounds as if he was not there at the recording, but just dabbling along elsewhere and added later. Tune sounds familiar. Nicely relaxed.

Track 14. Somewhat reminiscent of Maiden Voyage at the start, this develops into a bit of a corny rendering of a Sting toon, this scores awfully high on the Claydermann scale in my ears. Luckily it steers back to wilder waters later on.

Track 15. My guess is this tune is titled "Someone to Light up my Life," no idea on who performs here, but this is very nice and a worthy closer.

thank you marcus for a fine BFT

(edited for Splelnig)

Edited by couw

As usual the sign-up threads seem to be hotter than the discussions. :wacko:

Give it up for Marcus for tossing a bunch of discs around the globe rather than oogling what's down by the sea (oh wait it's the middle of winter so he's just taking a snow shoveling break). :tup

Stumped all along!!!

1.) Knew this would start with a bit of Bahian rhythms. Is that what he's saying? A bit too in the new for me as far as the wonderful production goes. I usually draw a line at the elctric piano so I'm not going in for this one right off the bat.

2.) No clue here. Beautifully recorded and engineered piece, but the sound alone has me. Not sure if this would be up my alley for long, but very nice.

3.) Clueless, again.

4.) No points for me for having no idea what this Parker tune is. I like this though. Sonically the opposite of #2.

5.) Now were back to somethin' with a Brazilian attitude! I do like this cut best so far Seems to go nicely with the heat of the day. Thinking it's not someone from the homeland there but a stateside date. Has a bit of that fast Silver Henderson root.

6.) Didn't feel this coming next. What a bouncer. Has that later Milt on Pablo feeling to me. But can't be that after hearing the horn come in again. Gotta be the saxist's date as that piano is too far (don't stay outside, c'mon in) away for a Pablo.

7.) Out on a limb but sounds a bit like Fritz from Pittsburgh. Again sonically beautiful in the way of the DDD stuff that he was all over in the later eighties. Has so much that Crosby bass. Should know this tune from Digital Works or Rossiter Road era.

8.) Man I should know this one... this one will be nailed fast and I will wait it out.

9.) "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that electric bass a wah-wah-ing".

10.) Huge TUNE! This is my favorite on this test now bar none. Some garage band duo with a great set up just showing off so beautifully! This has got that swingg!!! :tup :tup

11.) SMCOT ... "sonata my cup of tea". No, really, absolutely, pristinely beautiful.

12.) Awaiting Bluto Blutarski to give that greensleeving minstral one over the head and then the thing grooves into some Silver-esque vamp like Horace walked into the Globe Theatre on the wrong cue. Is this from some Brazilan cartoon? Wacky!!! :wacko:

13.) Another big ol' bass. This is nice!!! Goes well with #5 and something cool to drink.

14.) Sort of caps this test with a very signature sound that has been going on all along. Eager to hear who all we've been listening to. Gotta be a theme here in the bass, no?

15.) No clue... figuring Marcus would leave us with this bit of Brazil... not white enough for Chris Connor and not Nancy, or Carmen Lundy or Shirley Horn, and not Braziliany enough for a funky Tania Maria or Lani Hall? stumped again as for most of this one!

Thanks Marcus for all! The first time through not much grabbed me as I was put off a bit by the very subtle "electric" sound of it all. I'm feeling much better after another go round as there is some really, really fine music here that was thoughtfully and lovingly put together. Will look forward to reading all the postings as the days roll on. :)

Marcus,

thanks for the BFT. I was away in family matters for a while and could only listen to it these past two days. I enjoy it very much and am glad the cover fits the music.

No guesses at this moment. I'm way too busy to type anything longer than two sentences which don't concern Count Basie. As there's no Basie on here, I have to pass. ;)

All I can say is that I enjoyed this disc very much, as was to be expected.

My faves so far are tracks 2, 3, 4 (nice mute), 5, 9 (well, it's Ellington), 10 and 12 (that's from that verve Elite disc, isn't it?).

Cheers!

Jeez, lots of posts already and I'm nowhere near figuring anything out so far. Haven't read any comments yet. I know some tunes but getting the titles is not so easy. 4. and 6. are very familiar and I'm sure I've heard 2. before. 9. is It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing and the bass player is Ron Carter I'm quite sure - if it isn't, I give up! But the track that was a real ear opener for me was 10. - no idea who but what a full sound for the line-up! 2. I thought about Javon Jackson or maybe Pat LaBarbera but these are just wild guesses. 1. is my least favorite track - could it be Dave Liebman on sop sax?

Will listen some and post more thoughts before reading others comments. All music I like - lots of interest. Well done, Marcus.

Hi Marcus....

I must say a lot if not all of the tunes sound very familiar to me

#1 my guess would go for an early Eumir Deodato ... just a wild guess I know

#2 the Tune should be M.D.'s Solar at least it sounds similar and the Tenor is also know but I cannot recall right now

#4 have heard that lately....(heard it on a Horace Silver compilation but it sounded different there...)

#5 no clue, but I know that tune

#6 an early Tjader maybe ?

#7 sounds like a early 90's Chick Corea Electric Band to me

#8 I believe thats Tyner or at least some one who exactly knows how he plays

#9 It has that swing... modern version but still great.

#10 a bass&drum... could thatbe from the Album Duets by Rob Wasserman ?

#11 had some touch of Chopin, not my taste... the weakest one for me (at 1:10 there are some notes I know from some other tune..

#12 no clue .. starts like spanish baroque musique and goes on like some mid sixties film music...

#13 ...no clue right now

#14 Hancocks Maiden Voyage,

#15...singers are not mine ;)

Cheers, Tjobbe

i´m feeling kinda sick the last few days so today i´m at home. the good thing is that i can browse the board the whole day!

Mike, some informations about Ed Motta.

first of all he is the nephew of Tim Maia, the godfather of brazilian soul and one of the greatest artists that i ever seen in my life.

his first 3 discs " Conexão Japeri","Um Contrato Com Deus" & "Ao Vivo (Live) are deeply on the funk/r&b vein and are still my favorites so far. í attended the live gig in 1990 so i love this one. i don't think you're gonna like them.

then in 1990 he released his 4th album "Entre e Ouça", radically different from the previous ones, with a lot of instrumentals, meaningless lyrics on his own language known as "Edmotês" and it sold absolutely nothing. the record company fired him after this one but it's an underrated gem. maybe you'll find something for you here.

he then moved to New York and caught the brazilian music virus and decided that it was time to return to his own land.

in 1997 & 2000 he decided that was time to earn some money and did 2 very popular albums which are not my cup of tea except for 3 or 4 songs.

the good thing is with the money, he fulfilled his dream to release an instrumental album "Dwitza", his favorite so far. i went to several live performances of that album and he usually played Maiden Voyage too.

i remeber that Lon started a thread long time ago praising this album and i left my impressions too. as i was sure Lon would not be involved on this BFT and i wanted to start with something that could blend several cultures, i decided to pick this one and i was sure that the electric piano would hurt some people but the soprano solo would be appreciated.

i love the sound of electric piano, stuff from Chick & Return to Forever and this particular song is a tribute to another great brazilian musician Dom Salvador.

Marcus

Mike, I can't wrap my mind around track 7 being A.J.! I'm really going to have to check out some of his later output.

Peter, this album is more than great!! it's my favorite Jamal

i wasn't expecting that this tune would have such negative approaches. maybe because of the electric bass but what Jamal and the percussion guy does on this tune is amazing. i was expecting this to be OOP too but it seems Amazon has it so GUYS give this album a chance!!

Marcus

brownie, why you don't like the guy on track 11?

i have introduced my father to him back in 1996 with his first Telarc release. we both became heavily addicted to his work. we listened to track 7 for the first time in my car and we just felt stunned about their ideas and performance. Satie is my favorite classical composer among with Mozart. the idea of having Jacques perfoming an entire Satie program was a dream to come true.

that's another surprise for me that some people find this track boring or annoying but this is one of the many positive aspects of a Blindfold Test!

Marcus

9. is It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing and the bass player is Ron Carter I'm quite sure - if it isn't, I give up!

Tooter, don't give up :lol:

Ron's was the first reason for me to add this one on the BFT. for me he is my favorite bass player ever, period.

i knew that it would be controversial since lots of members here always have some negative concerns about his later work and i was thrilled the first time i heard this performance of him 2 years ago. his solo is amazing and last year i had the opportunity to attend for the first time to his gig at Mistura Fina. my wife knows how devoted i am to him and i was on the front line and when he came to stage i just talked with myself "god, he really exists!!" and my wife heard it and never forgot it.

the whole album is an underrated gem and i thought people would recognize instantly Ron and the drummer too.....

Marcus

jazz is made of risks and track 10 represents that on my BFT. i was expecting to be banned off the board for this one :lol:

surprisingly, there are more positive impressions than i could expect.

i was quite sure that i knew some of you very well....i was DAMN wrong :g

Marcus

5. I would again say these players are Brazilian...

The closing arrangement is great!

this is more like the real thing! *****

Mike, that's exactly what most amazes me on this track. it's unexpected and so creative.

you can also dance samba with this tune ;)

Marcus

So # 12 is just that. Sheesh. I have been curious about this elusive work after having read recent threads and see that he has redone these pieces.

So who is playing that Burrellish guitar line? And the strings?? I enjoy Lalo immensely and would love to know more of that groove he's got here, so Lalo! but this set up is a bit too out there with all the goings on. Visual music to be certain. A Peter Sellers garden party or Carl Stallings for a pack of closeted tea totalers. Does segue nicley from the Satie previously. ;)

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

brownie, why you don't like the guy on track 11?

i have introduced my father to him back in 1996 with his first Telarc release. we both became heavily addicted to his work. we listened to track 7 for the first time in my car and we just felt stunned about their ideas and performance. Satie is my favorite classical composer among with Mozart. the idea of having Jacques perfoming an entire Satie program was a dream to come true.

that's another surprise for me that some people find this track boring or annoying but this is one of the many positive aspects of a Blindfold Test!

Marcus

Marcus, don't take my remarks on this pianist too hard!

I come from an older generation and when this musician came upon the scene, I was busy digging pianists like Bud Powell, Monk, Bill Evans, Sonny Clark, Cecil Taylor and others who went mostly ignored while albums by HIM were selling in the thousands. Which would have been OK if the music was worth the acclaim but frankly I thought the records he had out at the time were facile, pretentious and unworthy of my attention. I had (and still have) the same reaction with the music of Keith Jarrett although I liked the music Jarrett was producing at some time.

There are so many excellent musicians that I prefer to the one you selected. I have thus largely ignored him and after hearing him on your BFT I stick to my decision!

If you are into Satie, try to get to listen to Aldo Ciccolini's albums. A world apart!

I am aware you may not agree but as we say over here 'Vive la difference!'