#15 - Blindfold Test (Discussions)

marcoliv

9. is It Don't Mean a Thing if it Ain't Got That Swing and the bass player is Ron Carter I'm quite sure - if it isn't, I give up!

Tooter, don't give up :lol:

Marcus

I didn't exactly give up, just weakened and read all the comments. Now I know I wouldn't have got any further though - still can't hear that tune 2.. What gets me is that there are so many people in the world playing the kind of jazz that I like whom I have never heard of before.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, I have been trying to comment on tracks 11-14 for the last three hours. In fact, in that time, I’ve just been letting those four songs keep re-playing themselves, in hopes that I could find some spare minutes to write something down. What I’ve discovered is that, individually, I can’t tell them apart; but taken together, whoo man, talk about a nice set of songs!  :tup Marcus, you are a programming genius. I couldn’t’ve asked for a more relaxing soothing suite of songs to get me through the last three hours of mayhem here at the office! Great job, once again! Can’t wait to find out the answers to these four!

As I said in the sign-up thread, with the exception of the last song, for the most part, this is some staggeringly beautiful music. The kind I’d listen to on a relaxing Sunday afternoon! Thanks again, Marcus!

Hey Al, thank you very much! i´m really flattered :)

i should admit that i´m listening to this BFT a lot since some of my favorite music in life are there :wub:

Marcus

Edited by marcoliv

Bravo Marcus!

Nice compilations without any single filler.

I highly recommend two Japanese releases:

The Newest Play Bach (KIJC 8022)

Play Bach/Concert for Lovers(TOCJ-561)

i´m glad you got it safely Andrew!!

i subscribe to your recommendation. both albums are great!

Bach to the Future released by Chrysalis is also very very nice

Marcus

thanks Brad for your kind words!!

i was thinking about the concept of blindfold tests and i realized that it would be wonderful if we could meet to listen to a BFT.

i can imagine a live discussion between us absorbing the music, guessing players and etc...

Marcus

Many thanks to Marcus Oliveira for the dazzlingly varied array of tunes. I thoroughly enjoy every track on this one! Also thanks to Big Al for the distribution!

1. Azymuth? Reminds me a bit of Ramsey Lewis too. A funky little groove, exactly the type of electric piano sound I like best. Dig the vocals as well.

2. Stanley Turrentine? Familiar tune, but I can't place it. I may have this. Great stuff.

3. Don't know where to begin as far as guesses, but I like it quite a bit.

4. Good good good.

5. Holy smokes, what a track!!! Reminds me of my favorite moments of Lee Morgan and Wayne Shorter, but I'm not sure.

6. Lionel Hampton? For some reason I thought this sounded like a vibes player from the earlier school.

7. When I hear this bass sound, I immediately think Jaco or Stanley Clarke. Then again, this sounds like it could be Azymuth too. Really dig the percussion!

8. DAMN! This is my favorite track on the BFT. Top shelf. Again, hints of my favorite Lee and Wayne songs. I want to say Andrew Hill on piano...

9. "It Don't Mean A Thing If It Ain't Got That Swing," I recognize. Whoever is tickling the keys is beyond my ability to identify. The bass sound seems out of place, somehow? Cool nonetheless.

10. Wow, love this bass player, whoever he/she is. Killer track. More from the top tier.

11. I really dig the spooky, moody piano here! Broad range of different sounds across this BFT, very well done Marcus.

12. Baden Powell maybe? Oh wait, then there's a groovy little piano. The flute and strings are so-so, but I like the overall composition. Am I the only one to find the short little female vocal toward the end funny?

13. Bass grabs me from the jump, I'm feelin' the composition before it starts. Then that piano drops in with the drums and congas and...well...DAMN! Second favorite next to Track 8.

14. Smooth and relaxing without being cheesey. Subtle, understated, simple, elegant, serious.

15. I'm guessing this is a present-day singer for some reason. A nice finish to a fine disc.

:tup:tup:tup:tup

Edited by Noj

Received the disc and playing it now- thanks!

Don't have much to add as usual and don't really know any of the music, but I like most of it (though I'm not into the "modern" electric sound as much as I used to be).

Was Fascinating Rhythm being quoted in track 5 or 6?

Just got my copy this morning (thanks PJ for replacing my broken copy)--haven't followed this thread so I'll post this & then rewind to the start of the thread & see what's been going on.

1) Um.... not my kind of thing!

2) The tune & the sax sound familiar: ugh, I’m annoyed I can’t place the tune in particular... The sax is in-yer-face, especially as his develops his solo I wish he’d ease off a bit. Drums mixed loud. The piano is nice, low-key, less-is-more: good. Nice bass solo. Chords remind me of “The End of a Love Affair” but that’s the wrong tune.

3) Nice opening & a curious sax sound: very Konitz-influenced, though much busier than latterday Konitz, & the use of a complex line over familiar changes (“What Is This Thing/Subconscious-Lee”) also points in a Tristanoite direction. Hm, I would have guessed Gary Foster, but I don’t quite think it’s him? Pity there’s no piano solo, would have liked to hear him, judging by the spare but alert comping. The track’s a bit too short. The last note suggests there was a 2nd horn on the date too.

4) Strange, slightly awkward acoustic, surely not a session originally intended for commercial release? Oh, this is EARLY Dolphy, sounding like an OK but not-quite-together Bird disciple. But, hm, I can’t think of any Dolphy date that would match this. Not one of those Chico Hamilton dates? Or one of Dolphy freelance European dates (if I have the dating wrong)? Ugh, this really is NOT a good track but I guess is here for interest’s sake. Not sure who the other players are though the trombone sounds familiar.

5) Sounds vaguely familiar. Jeez, that outwardbound tenor sax sounds a bit out of place in the Blue Note/Horace Silver vibe! Maybe one of John Gilmore’s freelance appearances? I don’t know. The quiet coda is a nice touch, in fact I like it better than the main theme.

6) Oh I forget the name of this tune, it’s on Art Pepper + 11 I remember. “Four Brothers.” The vibist not really my thing: I should recognize him of course... oh well. Old-school Prez-ish tenor though I’m not sure it’s actually an old player.

7) Weird combo of the oldfashioned piano & the, ahem, groovy accompaniment. I don’t get this one.

8) OK groove at the start though the tune is kind of your generic 6/8 modal thang, though the long episode in a different mode gives it a bit of a tweak. Weak opening to the tenor solo, & then he starts to go ballistic. Chris Potter? Ick. There are two saxophones on the ensembles but I guess one of them doesn’t get a solo, unless I missed the break between solos or unless one of the saxes is overdubbed.

9) A lot more fun than the last track! Not wild about the studio sound on ANY of the instruments (the gummy bass & scrappy drums especially), but the music’s excellent. I should know these musicians, the bassist & drummer’s moves in particular sound familiar, but the pianist remains elusive to me. Nice track, pity about the sound.

10) Just bass+drums, eh? Well, for what it is it’s well done: a little too long maybe. Is this a whole album of this duo?

11) There’s a lot of what sounds like skipping on this: just my copy? (in fact everything after this point has the odd skip, so I guess it must just be my flawed copy). Though the track does have a few metrical skips in the tune. This is a bit too pacific for me, & when they finally get to doubletiming it I get a lot more interested. The tune reminds me a little of Ran Blake’s fondness for Catalan folksongs or the tune “Vradizi” (sp?). But I have no idea who this is: pretty enough but not my speed.

12) Lute, eh? Somewhere around here I have an LP of Renaissance improv.... Frederic Hand, Musica Antiqua, I think was the name. Nah, this can’t be it, it didn’t have guitar & string section. The pianist sounds oddly familiar. Well, not much to say about this except that it’s not a musical match made in heaven. But I guess if Coltrane can make something out of “Greensleeves” were shouldn’t rule out this kind of thing....

13) This reminds me of “What Lola Wants”, though I’m not sure if they’re playing that tune. & otherwise I have nothing to say about it.

14) Not much going on here. I notice a lot of tracks on this compilation with minimal harmonic movement. The syrup quotient is very high here.

15) Nice opening from the piano; oh here’s a vocalist. She sounds familiar. Drippy “be a good person” advice in the verse. Oh, “Someone to Light Up My Life” (is that really the verse to it?). Lotsa syrup here too. But that piano solo has some edge to it.

All of these tracks are OK but I can’t say any of them exactly do a lot for me except for #9 & maybe #3.

1. Could this be Wayne Shorter with Milton Nascimiento?

2. More nice Rhodes, tenor featured prominently. CTI is a possibility. Stanley Turrentine?

3. This has that tenor sounds like an alto sound I associate with Stan Getz.

4. It sure sounds like Bird.

5. Jazz Messengers?

6. Milt Jackson, perhaps with Sonny Stitt.

7. Chick Corea, perhaps the Acoustic Band?

8. McCoy Tyner, might be Blue Note era.

9. It Don't Mean a Thing. The gospelly beginning sounds familiar, but my guess is a musician I'm not all that familiar with. Bill Mays?

10. Gotta figure the bassist is the leader here. Richard Davis, maybe?

11. I believe this is Jack Wilson's Harbor Freeway, an earlier version than the faster Blue Note Harbor Freeway 5PM.

12. Did Ramsey Lewis ever record with Herbie Mann?

13. Could this be Mary Lou Williams Steeplechase album?

14. Bill Evans would be my guess here.

15. Nice voice. Dee Dee Bridgewater?

Curious if ya'll might wax a bit about the pianist from track #5 - Luiz Carlos Vinhas!

Just a tremedous sound. I have only experienced one of the Bossa Tres albums - "Em Forma" (& not that I'm a big acid jazzer, but I even hear the root of a sample from them used by the group United Future Organization that I just always assumed was Blakey and the Mssngrs) - and am just knocked out by his style. A Silver schooled head with the hammerin' hands of Tristano.

I know JimR has recommended the group within his Hard Bossa thread but I need more of this guy!!! :tup

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

Many thanks to Marcus Oliveira for the dazzlingly varied array of tunes.  I thoroughly enjoy every track on this one!  Also thanks to Big Al for the distribution!

:tup  :tup  :tup  :tup

thanks Noj for your kindness :tup

i´m glad you have enjoyed that much track 13. this song has a catchy melody.

Marcus

ps:Big Al is the man B-)

Edited by marcoliv

I've finally had some time to sit down with this disc and give it a few listens. Here are the thoughts I jotted down as I listened:

1) almost a bit too "easy listening" for my taste, but something kept me interested. Definitely something from the early to mid 1970's, to my ears. I have no clue what album this track is from, or who is playing. Not something I would purchase, but interesting to hear one.

2) The rhythm section isn't doing anything that really catches my attention but I am enjoying the sax. no clue who this is. The recording was done extremely well...I'd guess this is a date from sometime in the '90's. Again, no clue who this is. I like this track quite a bit.

3) Very nice track...I dig the alto, the rhythm section is clicking moer than the last track for me. No clue who this is.

4) The sound quality is not helping his cause, but the trumpet player is doing nothing for me. I am really digging the alto work, however. No clue who this is. Was this recorded in a cave or are we hearing deteriorated master tapes? I'd be interested in hearing the rest of this albu, whatever it is.

5) I really like this track. Very 1960's Blue Note sound, with some nice swinging Brazilian flavor. This might be my favorite track so far. No clue who this is but I am very much looking forward to finding out.

6) Nice track, dig the vibes work. This track has a very early 1950's sound but I have a feeling it was recorded much more recently. The tenor player was definitely heavily influenced by Lester. No clue who this is.

7) Not my cup of tea. This track sounds too smooth for my liking. Post-Jaco fretless bass, Chick Corea-ish piano...I'll guess mid to late 70's track, but I have no clue who this is.

8) This one sounds very indebted to Trane's classic quartet. I hear a lot of Tyner in the pianist and a definite Trane influence in the sax work. Not sure who this is...it sort of reminds me of Chris Potter. There is a lot I lie about this track but I'm undecided on the sax work.

9) ok, this tune I know right off the bat. "It Don't Mean a Thing..." No clue who this is. I like the playing but the instruments were not recorded well. The drums sound very muffled. Get this one re-recorded byPeter Pfister and I'd be sold.

10) Nice bass and drums duo. William Parker w/ Hamid Drake? I really dig this track! I'll have to pick this album up if the rest of it is as good.

11) Gorgeous track, sounds like something by Satie, but I am not familiar with this performance of it. No clue who this is.

12) Very odd instrumentation. Sort of "medieval-european chamber improv." I don't think I need to hear an entire album of this but a very interesting track, nonetheless. No clue who this is.

13) Nice track, but not doing a whole lot for me. This is good background music. I have no clue who this is, but it is growing on me as I listen.

14) starts off sounding like Herbie Hancock, then goes into a fairly poppy direction. No clue who this is, although I feel like I should know this one. Another nice track.

15) Not my cup of tea. I'm really not a fan of jazz with vocals but this one is "ok," I suppose. No clue.

well, you stumped me on this BFT, Marcus. Great job compiling these tunes! I greatly enjoyed listening to your BFT and am really looking froward to reading the answers.

well, you stumped me on this BFT, Marcus. Great job compiling these tunes!

thanks a lot John!!

it was a real blast to produce this BFT B-)

after re-reading all posts it is amazing how the bass of track 7 is constantly mentioned as a negative point of the song.

track 10 everybody's loving it but i should say that the rest of the album is far away from this particular style

the overall opinion about some tracks is quite the same and this is good or bad?

Marcus

Vint,

track 4 has been already revealed :)

if you want a clue for track 10 you should think about Hank Jones ;)

track 2 was recorded at Van Gelder's

track 6 is something inspired on Daniel A

track 13 is from one of the brothers...not the most famous one of course

track 8 is from L.A.

the drummer on track 9 is loved by all of us

none of the guesses so far on these tracks are close from the truth

Marcus