New jazz releases on vinyl

jazzhound

• 2 weeks later...

For new jazz releases on vinyl, the label Eighty Eight's out of Japan has pressed a few (AFAIK many of these were recorded to DSD(for the SACD's) and 30ips tape(for vinyl) at the same time):

Clark Terry & Max Roach: Friendship

Grady Tate: All Love

The Great Jazz Trio: Autumn Leaves

Eddie Henderson: So What

Roy Haynes: Love Letters

Lonnie Plaxico: Live at Jazz Standard

Will & Rainbow: Harmony

Joe Farnsworth: It's Prime time

The Great Jazz Trio: Someday My Prince Will Come

Marlena Shaw: Lookin' For Love

Groove Note has done these(I've heard a few Groove Notes and they had sound to die for):

Jay McShann: What a Wonderful World

Kei Akagi: New Smiles and Traveled Miles

Bill Cunliffe Trio : Live at Bernie's

Bennie Wallace: Moodsville

Eden Atwood: Waves: Bossa Nova Session

Eden Atwood: This Is Always

Anthony Wilson: Our Gang

I will soon be receiving my first Venus title on vinyl. If I like the music, I'm sure it will be the first of many.

• 3 weeks later...

audioquest - not "new" as in 2004, but "new" as in post-digital age (early-1990's) all-analog recordings issued on vinyl. Several are still available for $7.50 ea. from Acoustic Sounds.

Glen Moore/Larry Karush/Glen Velez - MOKAVE - Vols 1 & 2 from 1991 - Glen Moore of Oregon on bass with Larry Karush on piano ( demonstrates his straight-ahead chops on "I Would Do Anything For You" on Vol 2) and Glen Velez on frame drums and percussion. I like these LPs much better than Karush and Moore's ECM recordings - not a "piano trio" w/ rhythm, but an equilateral trio, improvised modern music that explores sound and celebrates rhythm, and while not exclusively blues-based, should appeal to jazz fans (ie not somnambulent newage - oops -"somnambulent newage" is redundant).

James Newton - Suite For Frida Khalo - from 1993 - James Newton on flute with George Lewis and George McMullen - trombones, Julie Feves on bassoon, Pedro Eustache - flute, bass flute & bass clarinet, Kei Akagi - piano, Darek Oleszkiewicz - bass and Sonship Theus on drums and percussion. Not as strong as James Newton's two mid-1980's Blue Note releases - African Flower and Romance and Revolution but more cohesive than Newton's excellent Gramavision recordings. Again, Newton rejects labels that restrict his amalgam of musical influences. If you are not restricted to the hard bop version of swing, this recording rewards repeated listens.

Larry Willis - Steal Away - from 1991 - fans of the Archie Shepp/Horace Parlan duets on Steeplechase should grab this immediately! Larry Willis on piano with Cecil McBee on bass and Gary Bartz on alto - this is a wonderful and under-apppreciated recording.

Larry Willis - A Tribute To Someone from 1993 is Larry Willis' tribute to Herbie Hancock. The sextet (Willis, John Stubblefield on tenor and soprano, Curtis Fuller on trombone, Tom Williams on trumpet, David Williams on bass and Ben Riley on drums) reprise three Hancock tunes - "King Cobra", "A Tribute to Someone" & "Maiden Voyage" and explore three Willis originals - this LP will appeal to fans of hard bop.

Bennie Wallace - The Old Songs from 1993, Bennie Wallace on tenor, Bill Huntington on bass and Alvin Queen on drums are joined by Lou Levy's piano on "My One And Only Love" & "Skylark". Beautiful versions of standards lovingly played. Not as adventurous as his earlier enja records, but much better than his Groove Note record - Moodsville, which I found underwhelming.

Edited by charlesp

Wolff identified the Eighty-Eights lablel as one of those issuing new analog recordings on Vinyl. See 88's.

I have 4 -

Ravi Coltrane - Mad 6 - Ravi on tenor & soprano with two different rhythm sections - George Colligan - piano/James Genus - bass/Steve Hass - drums or Andy Milne - piano/Darryl Hall - bass/Steve Hass - drums, recorded by David Baker. Ravi tackles his dad's "26-2", Jimmy Heath's "Ginger Bread Boy", Mingus' "Self Portrait in Three Colors", and Monk's "Round Midnight" & "Ask Me Now". Enjoyable but not essential, but Ravi's interpretation of "Self Portrait in Three Colors" is gorgeous.

Great Jazz Trio - Someday My Prince Will Come - Hank Jones/Richard Davis/Elvin Jones - Elvin is a monster and Hank creates modern improvised music of the highest order. Enthusiastically recommended! I am very tempted to try Autumn Leaves.

Roy Haynes - Love Letters - my favorite of the 4. If you don't have, get out your credit card or cheekbook. Roy Haynes, Kenny Barron or David Kikoski on piano, Dave Holland or Christian McBride on bass, Joshua Redman on tenor and John Scofield on guitar in various aggregations and all recorded by David Baker.

Clark Terry & Max Roach - Friendship - Solos, duets and quartets with Don Friedman on piano and Marcus McLaurine on bass, recorded by David Baker. Conversations between masters who listen and respond. Civil without being polite or mannered - no shouting, no need to show-off.

Edited by charlesp

Here some titles from the VENUS catalogue that were recorded in last few and are still available on vinyl.

Beck, Joe "Girl Talk"

Beirach, Richie "Romantic Rhapsody"

Beirach, Richie "No Borders"

Bollani, Stefano "Black And Tan Fantasy"

Bullock, Hiram "Late Night Talk"

Hanna, Roland "Dream"

Hazeltine, David "Senor Blues"

Hazeltine, David "Pearls"

Higgins, Eddie "Bewitched"

Higgins, Eddie "Dear Old Stockholm"

Higgins, Eddie "Dear Old Stockholm Vol.2"

Higgins, Eddie "Foolish Heart Vol.1"

Higgins, Eddie "Foolish Heart Vol.2"

Kuhn, Steve "Sing Me Softly Of The Blues"

Kuhn, Steve "Quiereme Mucho"

Moffett, Charles "Magic Of Love"

Nytrio "Love You Madly"

Wilen, Barney "Inside Nitty Gritty"

Williamson, Claude "Autumn In Ny"

Williamson, Claude "Fiesta"

Woods, Phil "Souvernirs"

• 3 weeks later...

I was at Dusty Groove today and decided to spring for the 12 inchers they were featuring on their website a while back. If you heard David Murray and Pharoah Sanders on Gwotet (a great CD and perhaps on vinyl), they took the title track and remixed it and put both on a the 12 incher.

Also, there is a Japanese group called Sleepwalker that released a 12 inches with Pharoah sitting on one the track on one side and Bembe Segue on the other side. As far as I can tell, both of these are vinyl only.

I haven't actually played them yet, since I need to get a different turntable that actually plays at the correct speed!

• 1 year later...

I've picked up several on the Eighty-Eights label and I can vouch that the general quality and sound are magnificent. Lovely covers on these too !

Titles are:

Eddie Henderson 'So What'

'All Love' - Grady Tate Sings

Joe Chambers 'Urban Grooves'

Will & Harmony 'Rainbow' and 'Over Crystal Green'

Ravi Coltrane 'Mad 6'