BNBB Closed until May 1

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. I will hold tight until 5/1, now that BNBB has given itself a reprieve. I'm willing to see where this goes.

But, if it doesn't come back up again, or comes back in May but is in no way improved and no apologies are offered from Tom, I am seriously thinking of firing off letters to Downtimes and Jazzbeat describing the shoddy way in which BN treated its best customers. In fact, we could all craft a letter together. There was really no reason for the sarcastic retort we got when the initial purge took place.

2. At least as I see it, one of the problems that caused last week's debacle was not really addressed. It was not addressed because it is a delicate matter. So here goes:

I'm a pretty easy-going guy, but Tom Evered, GM of Blue Note, really rubbed me the wrong way. I found him to be abrasive, arrogant, contemptuous and full of himself. There were several instances throughout the life of the board, but for me the most telling was when Seamus Blake won the Monk sax competition. I posted this fact right after it happened (I was there), and he responded with some sarcastic, demeaning comment that made me think he didn't give a fuck about the Monk competition. My first instinct was to post an angry reply pointing out how it is a well-known joke throughout the jazz world how BN signed Jacky Terrasson after Bruce Lundvall and Richard Seidel stayed out late to see him play (and Lundvall was able to last longer) and how BN then signed him for a ridiculously high amount - my point being that a person working for Blue Note was not in any position to dump on the Monk competition. But then, instead, I just deleted the thread because I was embarrassed for him.

My two cents.

Long live organissimo!

Bertrand

I know you did not appreciate my thread calling for the temporary closure of the board. I'm sorry for that. I just thought that the fall from what I thought was the best board around to the worst was too disgraceful to continue. I hope that when they do resurrect it, they will have the reissues and discography information readily available.

As for Tom, I think my last few days worth of posts sum up my feelings about him. They parallel yours. Arrogant, condescending, insentive, uncaring. I wrote several posts to that effect and I meant every word. I no longer have any respect for the man. Some type of sincere formal apology is needed, I think. I'm not holding my breath, though.

Guest Chaney

i'm just glad i actually got to delete the "ebay craziness - redux" thread before the board disappeared.

it actually felt good.

:g

Note to self: kulu se mama = rries

Yea, that just dawned on me too.

rries!

Strange. Just before the BNBB went bonkers, I re-read alot of that eBay craziness thread. As over a year had passed since its inception, it was filled with alot of links which were long since dead but it was a fun read.

I know that it wasn't filled with the most erudite of posts but when I saw that rries had deleted it, I got a bit chocked up. Maybe because it was around for such a long time.

I'm glad it was deleted.

Strange

That was a fun read. It was indeed appropriate that bob was able to delete it before they closed the board. That thread was representative of the type of comeraderie and light hearted fun that developed over the years at that board. Its deletion came at the most appropriate of times

Trying not to be pessimistic, I think they hope that the regulars will have enough time to "get over" how shoddily the entire affair was handled and come back. At the same time, I think they've made a point about the type of posts they will not tolerate and are hoping that posters who make those types of posts will come back anticipating a new BN world order or perhaps will have found other boards.

Personally, I'll go back to check it out. But I'll also no longer be a one board poster either. It's nice to have options and it's nice to know that their places that are more liberal in what they allow as oppossed to a corporate sponsored bulletin board.

I think Bob should have the honor of starting an "ebay craziness" thread. :D

And, btw, I'd like to sign Bertrand's letter with him. It's an excellent suggestion. A letter from many buyers of their cds should mean something.

Edited by Brad

I have the funny feeling that it won't come back - they just hope that after six weeks, we'll have forgotten.

Hmmm... the other things Tommy Boy said were coming, new forums, old forums with a different look, never returned. Just, more was taken away. No more private messages, no images, no quotes, and a language filter that made Blue Note look ignorant as hell.

I mean, a jazz board that filters out Sonny S***t (wait, did Stitt ever record on Blue Note)?

Dumb, dumb, dumb. :rmad:

Edited by wesbed

Is it really going to take them seven weeks to overhaul it, or are they just trying to make sure that most of the former regulars never come back?

It will take seven weeks cuz they don't want to spend any time or money doing it...it will be interesting to see if it comes back or not...

I posted there for a year, and it was hard to see it crumble, and no one on the board have any say in it...must be all that much harder for people who had been on the board for 4 years!

I mean, at least give us some(Valid) reason for taking down so many forums, at least stoop down to saying how our business was important and all that, even if they hated saying it...Ghost, you remember how it was to grit your teeth and give someone a refund you know didn't buy much if anything from your store because the boss said to?(Reciept from 5 months ago?) Well, we were honest to goodness paying customers, now and in the future, and they just couldn't bestir themselves to keep us from boycotting them!

But hey, the stuff we bought was mere chump change in the post Norah era...they did need to broaden their horizons....look out for the hottest, dopest rappers to come out on the new improved bluenote label! :rolleyes:

Edited by BERIGAN

Not to derail this thread, but...

Scary Megadeth lyrics for the day...."Welcome to out sanguinary sect of worship,

Feel at home in our black conventicle,

As we anathematise,

All of those who oppose us..."

Is this real?? It's almost more comical than anything else. Reminds me of the character (played by Damon Wayans?) from "In Living Color" who was so "verboticular in his speechulary".

Here's what I just posted at the AAJ board:

We could have seen it coming ..... maybe the Verve bug crept over there after they started collaborating ..... it'll never be the same.

Let's take revenge and never go back! Let them starve at their new board - if they ever open it up - or at least hang there for a few weeks without a post - or let's all register as aric1, aric2 etc. and scare them ... :g

Not to derail this thread, but...

Scary Megadeth lyrics for the day...."Welcome to out sanguinary sect of worship,

Feel at home in our black conventicle,

As we anathematise,

All of those who oppose us..."

Is this real?? It's almost more comical than anything else. Reminds me of the character (played by Damon Wayans?) from "In Living Color" who was so "verboticular in his speechulary".

It's real, alright. Strange that it would be mentioned here. I was listening to it yesterday morning. :D

I'd guess that Bluenote are shocked at the response they got from us, the regulars, at their botched "cleaning up" of the board and now they want time to retrench and rethink. Tom did originally give a relatively short time-scale for the board revamp and that has clearly changed. Why? Well it might be something else, but the pissing off of 4,000 customers in a niche market is always liable to concentrate people's minds.

They should just apologize and be done with it. Plus GET A MODERATOR.

Simon Weil

I'm just down after this whole BNBB experience. There were only two Boards I ever posted on, one was Jim Rome's "The Jungle", mostly in the Baseball Forum, I even used "Bluenote" as my name -- that shut down. Then there was the BNBB -- and now that shut down. Granted, I was not a major league poster, in 3+ years, I posted 788 times, but BNBB really helped me to learn about jazz in my daily visits from people who loved the music. Plus, I'm in an enviornment where there is no other jazz fans I know, so it kept me connected to jazz things. Hopefully this place will grow in the coming months and became a great place to hang out.

I think it will, Matthew, as the people here are cool, and its not only got the vibe of BN building, but its almost developing that "private club" atmosphere, or the bar "where everybody knows your name (or handle)". Maybe its the shared trauma of the way the BNBB went down, but the presence of here of familiar people and an easy atmosphere makes it very comfy.

Heck, I'm so happy to still be "around" you guys, I haven't the slightest urge to start posting on the politics thread!