Explain the etymological origin of your user name!

OK, here's why I really started this thread....

What the hell is "kartoffel hadi blues"??? I think "Kartoffel" is the word for "potato", and this is born out by the fact that I get images like this when I do a Google image search on "kartoffel"...

comics-kartoffel.jpgtoff_kont.gif

But what's "hadi"??? And, all together, is "kartoffel hadi blues" some reference to some actual cultural phenomenon??

I won't reveal the origin of "Rooster Ties" until potato-boy comes clean...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mnytime

It's a variation of one of my nicknames from when my body still worked and I was a monster in sports.

Moneytime (I am sure you can guess why I was given this nickname :D), which was shortened to Mnytime because it looked better. While the body doesn't work as well I still have the ego, which I admit at times I am surprised that the Universe can contain it and leave room for anything else. :D

Mine comes from the George Braith Blue Note LP "Soul Stream." :D Not super original or anything obviously. But at the time I picked it, I put about 2 seconds of thought into it. Just a favorite album of mine. Of course, I didn't think I would post more than a few times since I had never been on any sort of computer based chat board thing before.... ;)

Edited by Soul Stream

Short story:

“kartoffel” = potato, “hadi” = head (well, sorta) and “blues” is blues.

Long story. Several elements came into play at the same time:

A) A failed hunt to locate my copy of Orwell’s 1984. The freedom of the individual verses the welfare of the state is a theme that’s fascinated me since I can remember. I settled for watching Kubrick’s Clockwork Orange that night and was wowed by the film all over again. Although the word “kartoffel” doesn’t appear in the film, it is in the book.

B) Shafi Hadi played one mean horn with Mingus. Mingus is one of those musicians that I initially abhorred before discovering just how much I loved him. The affair has yet to wan. I’m drawn to Mingus’ recordings with Hadi above all others, and what the hell happened to Hadi after Mingus? He might have given up jazz for painting, but that should be a story in itself and even Priestley isn’t talking.

C) At that time, Louis Armstrong’s Hot Five and Seven recordings were new to me. Hey, where’s a boy to hear that stuff if he doesn’t first buy the material? The humor of “Potato Head Blues” struck my fancy.

D) Some BNBB members were confusing my then current handle of “Afflatus” with someone else’s marginally similar board name —a somebody that had a tendency for hit-and-run insults. True, I sometimes come to play, but not in the same way. Combined with that night’s aberrant alcoholic drinking, I decided to change my name.

Fun to tell, but boring to read, right? I still remember your explanation from elsewhere, Rooster. Can’t say I’ve ever seen the inspiration, though.

"Rooster" brand neckties were only big in the late 50's and 60's, and the vast majority of them had square bottoms. Actually, I'm not sure how big they ever got - I think they were kinda obscure even back then. The best ones had really incredible designs on them, with lots of iconography. I've got a collection of about 100 of them, and maybe 40 are of really high quality (in terms of the design). I don't any photos of mine to share, but I found this picture from one on eBay right now. It just happens to have roosters on the front of the tie too, but most had other icons, or abstract designs.

The best ones were the narrow ones, from the late 50's and early 60's, usually only 2 inches wide at most. Then, in the late 60's and/or the early 70's, Rooster ties got wide (like they all did), up to 3 or 4 inches wide.

Other than job interviews, I haven't worn a normal 'pointy' tie in over 9 years.

I've seen pictures (from the late 50's or early 60's) of both Gil Evans and Gunther Schuller wearing 'Rooster' ties (or at least narrow square-bottom ties that probably were made by Rooster).

I'll post some more pictures when I find some good ones... (again, this one is from eBay)

I was on a big Rooster necktie buying spree (on eBay) when I first discovered the BNBB, and so when I had to pick a handle, that came to mind. I never intended to keep it that for long, it was just a temporary name I picked until I could think of something better.

Then, somehow, the name stuck. When I register at other boards, I've always used the same "Rooster Ties" handle, just in case somebody there knows me from the BNBB.

Explain the etymological origin of your user name!, unless it's your real name....

Well... I think folks should explain the etymology of their real names, if they know it. Mine is quite simple: Ayers=airs=songs,tunes,melodies, ultimately from Latin aer and Greek aura.

So, never mind the avatars and handles, explain your real names!

Weil is German for "because". It's also the name of various villages there. My favourite origin myth (?) is that when Napoleon conquered Germany, he ruled that all Jews had to have their second (aka Christian) names written down. There were too many Levi's, so some became Veil's (anagram) and Weil's (near anagram). I guess the renamed Jew could then say "warum"? (why [the change]?), and the official making it could go "weil" (because).

Also, I'm S.A. Weil. The first bit of that S.A. works out as "essay" when spoken ... essai in French...or try. so I'm "try, because".

I always thought I was named after Simone Weil, famous French philosopher, also S. A. Weil. Her "A" is Adolphine, mine is Anthony. Thankful for small mercies. My mother denies this is so, but I don't believe her.

Simon Weil

I got into jazz in 1996 or 1997, when I was about 20 years old. My parents didn't listen to jazz and I didn't know anyone that listened to jazz, but I had heard bits and pieces of things and wanted to hear more. There was a computer at the local record store that had a music database that could be searched by instrument (a very cool feature I don't recall seeing anywhere else). I decided to search by vibraphone, because it reminded me of music from Tom & Jerry cartoons (don't ask me why) I had watched as a kid. One of the names that came up was Lionel Hampton, so I decided to look around the store to see if I could find any Hamp CD's. I found a Lionel Hampton/Oscar Peterson Verve Jazz Masters compilation, and the rest is history. To this day, most of my favorite jazz albums have vibes somewhere in the mix (as my avatars will almost always attest).

Well, jazzbo. . . I've always liked this term, and I had a great-uncle who actually had a "Jazzbo Jim" similar to that pictured on my avatar in his attic that I would see occasionally, all dusty. . . . So I decided to use that handle here and found the right avatar.

Lonson: well I discovered some years back that "Lon" is strong in Gaelic, and "lionlike" in Teutonic languages. . . . I have both Scotch-Irish and German in my background, but the name is a family name on the side with the Scotch-Irish, so I guess I have to admit to the rather redundant "Strong Son of the Strong Arm" version of my name. But I can roar with the best of them. . .sometimes.

My username sort of follows the Jsngry pattern of logic. My first name, Paul, begins with a 'p', hence it appearing at the begining of the username (duh!). My last name, Ryan, is spelled out in full, thus deviating slightly from Jim's method.

As for the etymological origins of my name, I've never really investigated that yet. I do, however, plan on taking an etymology course in the fall, as I've always been interested in that kind of stuff.

Noj is Jon backwards. Feel free to call me by either one.

It stems from "talking backwards," something my friends and I would do when we were in junior high. We would pronounce words as if we were reading them backwards and communicate in code--sort of a pig latin type thing. I still have the same friends, and while we don't talk in code anymore, they still call me Noj.

I go by J because my first name is often misinterpreted as a female name. Jan, pronounced "yawn", is the Norwegian equivalent of Jon. About 40% of the people I know call me "yawn", 50% call me "Jan" (American pronounciation, which I actually don't mind too much), and the other 10% call me "Jay".

I guess the punchline is that very little of my blood is Norwegian. I'm predominantly German, with a bit of French and Welch. It's a rather long (and not fully understood) story as to how I wound up with the name.

Edited by J Larsen

It stems from "talking backwards," something my friends and I would do when we were in junior high. We would pronounce words as if we were reading them backwards and communicate in code--sort of a pig latin type thing. I still have the same friends, and while we don't talk in code anymore, they still call me Noj.

This reminds me of the time when I discovered that the audio software that I use at work plays backwards as well as forwards.

Now, did I record a Beatles or Queen tune and check for "backward masking"?

Nope.

Me and the guy I was recording tried to record ourselves speaking "naughty words" backwards, so that when I played it forwards they would sound like the vulgar word.

"piss" and "fuck" worked pretty well as I recall. B)

Christiern is the actual (old Danish) spelling of my first namee. It combines Christ (funny, because I am an Atheist) with iron (iern or jern, in Danish).

My last name, had my father followed Icelandic custom, would have been Þórðarsson, taking his first name, Þórður and adding "son." Instead, he dropped an "s" from his own surname, Albertsson, and registered the cropped result as a family name. As you may have figured out, in Iceland--where I was born--a person's surname is the father's first name with either "son" or "dóttir" added. Thus there really are no family names, and everybody is listed in the phone book by their first name.

Edited by Christiern

Mine actually should appear as C.A. Testa. First initial, middle, and last name.

From the word "testa" = head, derived from the Latin "testam" = shell, used as a nickname for physic or intellectual characteristics. Examples would be "strong-willed" or "of great intellectual ability."

That sounds about right to me. ;)