Recent pick ups

Here's another tradition brought over from BNBB: use this thread to list some things you recently found in a store or anywhere else.

Today, I stopped in an inner city cd shop and picked up Jim Hall, CONCIERTO and Charles Lloyd, THE CALL. I had no previous knowledge about the sound of these two sessions, but i like em so far! Bought them for $6 each.

Let's hear yours...

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last month:

The 4 US Rare Grooves plus 6 French Groove Experience releases.

The new Erik Trufazz arrived today

A few from Paris Jazzcorner - Flavio Boltro, Thierry Lang, Regis Ceccarelli

Another Flavio Boltro and Stephane Huchard from Dusty Groove

A Caetano Veloso disc and McCoy Tyner's Soliliquy in a local used store

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Guest Mnytime

The most recent in the last 30-40 days

Brötzmann/ Parker/ Drake-Never Too Late but Always Too early

(Eremite)

Sonny Simmons: Solo - Out Into The Andromeda (Parallactic)

Anthony Braxton-Solo (NYC) 2002 (Parallactic)

SONNY SIMMONS QUARTET - Renegade Society New York 2002 (Parallactic)

Howard Riley / John Tilbury / Keith Tippett-Another Part of the Story (Emanem)

John Butcher/John Edwards-Optic (Emanem)

ANTHONY BRAXTON - Two Compositions [Trio] 1998 (Leo)

BARRY GUY/EVAN PARKER - Studio/Live Birds and Blades (Intakt)

ROVA SAX QUARTET - Resistance (Victo 086)

Misha Mengelberg & ICP–Japan, Japon (DIW)

Dexter Gordon-Complete Trio & Quartet Studio Rec. 1974-76 (SteepleChase)

Edited by Mnytime

Not very much, cuz I'm on a self-imposed spending freeze, but I did finally get a disc I've been searching for, for years. Got it on eBay for a decent price ($15 plus postage), cuz it was mis-listed under 'classical'. :g (I've seen it go for $25+ or occasionally more.)

The Cure - "Entreat", which is a rare but legit live recording from 1989, made up of all live versions of tunes from "Disintegration". Here's a review: AMG review

I think it's far better than either of the Cure's live albums from 1992 or so (which are called "Paris" and "Show").

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Stanley Cowell - Brilliant Circles ($8)

"Brilliant Circles"....

The very best "music's incredible!!!" to "sound quality sucks" ratio of any CD I've ever heard, including a whole bunch of bootlegs.....

A trick I learned. The worse the stereo system is that you listen to "Brilliant Circles" on, the better it sounds.

It sounds totally sweet on my $10 night-stand combo "boom box / clock-radio" with the cheapest CD player known to mankind. :g:g:g

(Seriously, $10, made my Memorex, as a close-out at Target. They had 'em in hot pink, and cool 'ice' blue. Yeah, I went for the ice blue. I mostly use it to listen in the kitchen.)

Edited by Rooster_Ties

I agree. I think that's true of all cds with truly bad sound quality. Good stereos just seem to make them sound worse. I've been listening to Brilliant circles on my walkman connected to computer speakers in my office.

BTW, the guy at the record store told me that the cd of Brilliant Circles is really just a collection of outtakes from the original vinyl version. He said the vinyl is unbelievable.

Charlie Parker boxset from Proper records (hell of a lot of music to take in on this one)

Lou Donaldson - Good Gracious (good but i think i like The Natural Soul a little better)

Chick Corea - Now He Sings, Now He Sobs (got this after hearing the Complete IS sessions)

Edited by reg

Tokyo has great used stores which also sell new outlet CD's and, apart from HMV sale time, I tend to buy almost exclusively from these. In the last 2 or 3 weeks jazz purchases include the following with prices converted to US$.

Louis Armstrong Mosaic 6 CD's ($60 used)

Paul Desmond Complete RCA 5 CD's ($35 used)

Branford Marsalis - Footsteps of our Fathers ($8 used)

Eric Dolphy - Far Cry ($4 new)

Wynton Kelly - Kelly Blue ($3.50 used)

Chick Corea - Return to Forever ECM ($3.50 used)

The last two have a few surface scratches but play fine and I am pretty happy with all of the above.

The Cure - "Entreat", which is a rare but legit live recording from 1989, made up of all live versions of tunes from "Disintegration". Here's a review: AMG review

I think it's far better than either of the Cure's live albums from 1992 or so (which are called "Paris" and "Show").

I'm pretty sure I have a copy of that at home, somewhere. I picked it up in Glasgow about 10 years ago.

Have you ever heard their first live album, Concert? I think it was recorded in the tour for The Top. That was a fun disc.

Been over to Zweitausendeins yet?

Here's the latest - prices in euros:

75002 TATUM PABLO 6CD 1 9,99 9,99

75003 TATUM,A. PABLO 7CD 1 12,99 12,99

75005 ROLLINS PRESTIGE 7CD 1 12,99 12,99

75007 PEPPER A.GALAXY 16CD 1 26,99 26,99

75008 MONK RIVERSIDE 15CD 1 24,99 24,99

75009 EVANS RIVERSIDE 12CD 1 19,99 19,99

Read it and weep - and then get over there because they still have some left!

Uhhhh, I should say that these are the European edition of the US Fantasy boxes which differ only in having a meagre booklet. This offer has been discussed over at AAJ.

Edited by David Ayers

Grateful Dead: The Golden Road. I'm amazed how much I'm enjoying the Dead right now, can't get enough. Great box set. I got it so bad that I'm listening to the "Barton Hall, Ithaca, NY 5/8/77 set 2" now as I type, and it's 6:00 a.m. I can feel a major Dead buying spree coming on.

Lou Donaldson: Blues Walk. Found a lp version of this and it smokes.

Edited by Matthew

Picked up a couple of interesting twofers the other day, with Jaco Pastorius and Bireli Lagrene. These are on the Jazzpoint Records label, a local Stuttgart label. The first one pairs "Heavy'N Jazz", which is a live recording from Dec '86, with "Stuttgart Aria", a studio date from March of the same year. The other set pairs "Live in Italy" which is a March '86 live date, with "Honestly", which appears to be a complete disc of Jaco solo improvisations.

Probably more late-period Jaco that I need, but I somehow doubt I'd find this stuff too easily later on, so didn't want to risk it. Haven't listened to either yet, but at €12 per set, too good to pass up. Oh, I also came home that day with the TOCJ of Booker Ervin's "The In-Between" from the same used cd store.

These are just some of the discs I got at this used CD store located by my new job:

John Coltrane "Heavyweight Champion: The Complete Atlantic Recordings"

Matthew Shipp "Equilibrium"

Mulgrew Miller "Hand in Hand"

Eric Alexander "The First Milestone"

Brandford Marsails "Trio Jeepy"

Jackie McLean "Destination Out"

Terrance Blanchard "Wandering Moon"

Wynton Marsalis "J Mood"

Brandford Marsalis "The Dark Keys"

Dave Douglas "Soul on Soul"

Kenny Garrett "Persuance"

PLUS, I ordered the Sonny Rollins "Freelance Years" box set, the Sonny Rollins "Complete RCA/Victor Recordings" box set, and four Mosaics: Stanley Turrentine, Blue Mitchell, Johnny Hodges small groups, and J.J. Johnson.

After being unemployed for about a year, I figure I deserve to have some fun. I love having a job!! :D

Sly and the Family Stone: Greatest Hits

Seventies Soul Classics, vol. 2

The Big Three (Hawkins, Young & Webster)

Funked Up: The Very Best of Parliament

Average White Band: The Essentials

...Thank god P. Funk isn't here; I almost felt him staring into my back at the store yesterday when I agreed with my wife to put "Maggot Brain" back on the shelf. Maybe if I sneak back today...

Guest Mnytime

If we are listing non Jazz purchases as well than add

Pearl Jam #16-37 from the Bootleg series for their 2003 tour.

Grateful Dead Dick's Pick #28 (Feb 26 & Feb 28, 1973)

You can pick up this 4CD set from

http://www.gdstore.com/

Edited by Mnytime

Today I picked up REM's Automatic for the People on DVD-A, my first of the format.

I don't have the DVD-A player; therefore, for the time being I'm not going to be able to enjoy the advanced resolution audio. At first listen even the Dolby Stereo track, the most rudimentary option, comes through clearer than the CD version--which sounded a bit muddy in various spots--does.

Yesterday I bought, as previously mentioned in another thread, the Maynard Ferguson Mosaic on CD. Thus far, I've gone through the end of '59 and liked what I've heard.

Mnytime, wow! 22 Pearl Jam shows? Don't get me wrong; I like Eddie Vedder and friends and have most of their official officials ... but please enlighten me on this. Is each show that unique?

J'Moose, I don't think I'm the only one who see The Essential Sly Stone and Tear the Roof Off in your future soon. One disc anthologies simply aren't enough with these men.

Guest Chaney

Stanley Cowell - Brilliant Circles ($8)

Jason Moran - Black Star ($5)

Jimmy Lyons - Other Afternoons ($11)

I like them all.

Hi Jan,

Is your copy of "Other Afternoons" on CD or 180g vinyl?

If CD, where'd you get it?

(Please whisper your answer as others may be listening.)

Thanks!