Recent pick ups

These are the ones that still say "new" to me from the shelf:

Herbie Hancock Empyrean Isles, Mwandishi

Horace Silver Song For My Father, Cape Verdean Blues, Jody Grind, Blowin' The Blues Away

Wayne Shorter Juju, Speak No Evil

Stanley Turrentine & The Three Sounds Complete Blue Hour

Grant Green Green Street, Idle Moments

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers Live At Birdland 1&2

Sonny Clark Cool Struttin'

Dorothy Ashby Afro Harpin'

Ronnie Foster Sweet Revival

Eddie Gale Black Rhythm Happening

Candido Beautiful

Lou Donaldson Good Gracious

Cinematic Orchestra Every Day

The Curtom Story Curtis Mayfield's School Of 20th Century Soul

Mickey & The Soul Generation Complete Iron Leg

Frank Zappa Hot Rats

Primo's Bakery

N.E.R.D. In Search Of...

Talib Kweli Quality

Cee-LoCee-Lo Green And His Perfect Imperfections

Syl Johnson Chicago Twinight Soul

Lightnin' Rod Hustler's Convention

Lee Fields Let's Get A Groove On

Yusef Lateef Cry! Tender, Eastern Sounds, Other Sounds

Trudy Pitts & Pat Martino, Don Patterson & Booker Ervin, Sonny Stitt & Don Patterson, Sonny Stitt, Johnny Hammond Smith, Shirley Scott, Sonny Phillips, Rusty Bryant, Jack McDuff, Billy Butler, Houston Person, Willis Jackson, Melvin Sparks, Leon Spencer, Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones, Gene Ammons Legends Of Acid Jazz

Woody Shaw Blackstone Legacy

Joe Farrell Skateboard Park

Booker T. & The MGs Melting Pot

Gary Bartz NTU Troop Live(?)

Hampton Hawes Northern Windows Plus

Mike Clark/Bernard Purdie Master Drummers Comps

Larry Young Young Blues, Testifying

Lucky Thompson Lucky Strikes

Ted Dunbar Rare Moment

Duke Pearson Dedication!

Pat Martino East!, Strings, El Hombre

:rsmile: :rhappy: :rsmile:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Today I received, from Dusty Groove, Randy Weston's "African Rhythms" ("African Cookbook" and "Niles Little Big") CD, a very nice recording on the French "Comet" label from 1969.

Two other recent acquisitions are very recent releases on Michigan's "Entropy Stereo" label: "Ashirai Pattern" by Faruq Z. Bey w/ Northwoods Improvisers (I'm really enjoying this one) and Griot Galaxy's "Live at the D.I.A. 1983" (I think I'd like this better with a little editing/fading of the crowd noise, but, as it is, it documents a good Griot Galaxy concert with decent sound. Also I think that with the continuing resurgence of Sun Ra's popularity and with certain current Chicago trends that get a lot of buzz, having some Griot Galaxy in print is great and should be eye-opening for many.)

Faruq Z. Bey continues to grow, creating compelling music with the support of the Northwoods Improvisers and some longer-time musical collaborators. I've heard that the Faruq and Northwoods concert last weekend in Ferndale (which included 3 additional saxophonists in the ensemble) was rather spectacular and very well received. Unfortunately, I could not attend...

Moment's Notice ---Charlie Rouse

The Newborn Touch ---Phineas Newborn, Jr.

The West Coast Sound ---Shelly Manne & His Men, Vol. 1 (used)

The Swinging Guitar of Tal Farlow (been "about" to get this for a while)

The Jeep Is Jumpin'---Johnny Hodges (Properbox)

And some Mosaics:

Cooper, Holman, Rosolino

Roost Johnny Smith Small Group

Gerald Wilson

Stuff Smith

Chambers/Kelly

Picked up Fathead Newman's Under a Woodstock Moon for $3 from a clearance bin. Excellent session from 1996. I really need to get some more Fathead...any suggestions welcome.

There used to be a budget double-CD that had two albums on each disc----four records-worth, supposedly his best Atlantics. I'm not getting anything til that comes back into print, damnit!

Also got the three new Columbia Armstrong Hot Fives&Sevens w/liners by Giddins. Forgot about that. (Had the music on vinyl for decades.)

And "Hard Drive," an early Blakey with Johnny Griffin and Junior Mance. Not bad, but not great.

Edited by BruceH

J'Moose, I don't think I'm the only one who see The Essential Sly Stone and Tear the Roof Off in your future soon. One disc anthologies simply aren't enough with these men.

You could be right with Sly, but I'm afraid I've developed a SERIOUS Parliament/Funkadelic jones that NO compilation can cure; I see a major buying spree on my horizon... :blink:

Today's pickups from the second hand vinyl bin:

James Newton - Romance and Revolution (Blue Note, 1986)

A brilliant set, comparable to the better known "African flower"

Andrew Hill - From California with Love (Artists House, 1978)

A solo recording. Haven't listened to it yet. A gatefold LP with an 8 page booklet

Edited by Claude

• 2 months later...

Scored a host of new CD's with some B-Day money last week!

Herbie Hancock - Thrust :excited:

Horace Silver - The Tokyo Blues :tup

Jack McDuff - Moon Rappin' :excited::wacko::eye::eye:

Art Blakey - Indestructible! :excited::excited:

Art Blakey - The Witch Doctor ( I like this one better than Roots 'n Herbs :party: )

Bobby Timmons - Soul Time :tup

Blue Mitchell - The Cup Bearers :excited:

:ph34r::ph34r:

Edited by Templejazz

After a dry spell, I've bought quite a few CD's in the last month:

Art Blakey Mosaic

Illinois Jacquet Mosaic

Jack McDuff - Moon Rappin' (great AOW choice!)

Art Blakey - Indestructible

Sonny Rollins - Vol. 1

Horace Silver - The Horace Silver Trio

Dexter Gordon - Our Man in Paris

Sonny Stitt - New York Jazz

Dorothy Ashby - Afro-Harping (really digging this one, too)

Gerry Mulligan Meets Johnny Hodges

Jimmy Giuffre - The Easy Way

Stan Getz - Reflections

I've been really impressed with the recent BN and Verve reissues. Lots of great albums out there.

I just upgraded my Collectors choice of Art Blakey, Indestructible. Haven't cracked it open yet.

I also bought the Blue Note SACD Blue Train. Have to check that out with RVG looking as if he had his hand in the DSD process.

Non-Jazz. Captain Beefheart and the Magic band, Grow Fins Box-set and Dust Sucker, Bat Chain Puller, which was some major chump-change.

Horace Silver - Silver's Serenade

Donald Byrd - Blackjack, Fuego

Les McCann - In New York

Jimmy Smith - I'm Movin' On

Art Blakey - Indestructable, Ritual

Sonny Rollins - V1

John Coltrane - Blue Train

Konitz Meets Mulligan

Dexter Gordon - Our Man In Paris

Lou Donaldson - Everything I Play Is Funky

Roland Kirk - We Free Kings

Whew, and I think I'm forgetting a few. At this pace I'm quickly running out of storage space (and money)!

Edited by jacknife

Found something kind of interesting this weekend - an advance, promo copy of the Thelonious Monk COLUMBIA YEARS 3 CD boxed set. It has all the music as well as the liners, but they are on tray cards that you have to read through clear CD holding trays, only a minor annoyance. Best of all was that it cost only $14 used. Normally would not have gone for the box, but easily worth $14 to get the few odds and ends tracks not readily available elsewhere (although most are now appearing on the new Legacy reissues of his Columbia dates).

Found something kind of interesting this weekend - an advance, promo copy of the Thelonious Monk COLUMBIA YEARS 3 CD boxed set. It has all the music as well as the liners, but they are on tray cards that you have to read through  clear CD holding trays, only a minor annoyance. Best of all was that it cost only $14 used. Normally would not have gone for the box, but easily worth $14 to get the few odds and ends tracks not readily available elsewhere (although most are now appearing on the new Legacy reissues of his Columbia dates).

You can get this box set from BMG club for about $4.50/cd when you do the 12 for 1 enroll deal.

The sponsor (5 free) / new enrollment (12 for 1) is even better, since you get 17 CDs for the price of 1. :g

I bought the Herbie Hancock 4-CD clear box set thru BMG with this membership deal.

Edited by Tjazz

This week:

Tal Farlow - Complete 1956 Private Recordings on Definitive. [Evil, I know, but I had to have them.] $16.99 at Dusty Groove. Eddie Costa is the man.

Last night:

Grant Green - His Majesty King Funk /Donald Byrd - Up with...

This is killer. Interesting to hear Larry Young and Grant with Ben Dixon rather than Elvin. Harold Vick kicks some ass on this too! $5.98

Lester Bowie New York Organ Ensemble - Funky T Cool T on DIW. James Carter, Steve Turre, and others. Smokin'! Only $5.98!