A Poll is a choice, 1 entry is not a choice

Greatest Ever Mosaic?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[*] Pushing the limits

[*] Expanding the boundaries

[*] Broadening Mosaic's customer base

[*] Breaking the mold

Which set, I ask you, has done this? This set, one could argue, might be the greatest Mosaic set.

I will stand up and put forth the argument that the Four Freshmen set is the greatest Mosaic set because it has done all those things. It is the one set that has broken the barriers of what is accepted to be jazz by jazz lovers. It alone has broadened the horizons and expanded the boundaries of jazz for those who are brave enough to risk slipping into a vegetative state of borderline coma and actually listen to the entire set. It alone has probably attracted more new customers to the world of Mosaic than any other set since the Nat King Cole set. Yes, I think it can be argued that the Four Freshmen set is the greatest Mosaic set :wacko:

That the 4 Sophmores even received one vote is sad. Ed, with all due respect, what mold is breaking, what boundaries is it expanding and what limits is it pushing. You can't mean the musical molds, boundaries or limits. It's possible it's expanding the customer base. If that's what we want to do, let's put out a Kenny G set. Do I have this set? No, but I have listened to some clips and as the saying goes, "a little goes a long way."

Edited by Brad

Cast a vote in this poll? Talk about a quandry!

I am unable to decide because I somehow got hold of a defective, unmarked set that has Hank playing solos on all the Freshmen's tunes, and the Freshmen singing background on "Avilla And Tequila" and "My Sin". Cuscuna declines to answer my questions as to how this happened.

Personally, I think he stays drunk all the time these days.

That the 4 Sophmores even received one vote is sad. Ed, with all due respect, what mold is breaking, what boundaries is it expanding and what limits is it pushing. You can't mean the musical molds, boundaries or limits. It's possible it's expanding the customer base. If that's what we want to do, let's put out a Kenny G set. Do I have this set? No, but I have listened to some clips and as the saying goes, "a little goes a long way."

Brad

J Larsen nailed it.

I was being sarcastic, which is why I used the little wacko guy at the end of the post. Plus I thought the line about being " brave enough to risk slipping into a vegetative state of borderline coma and actually listen to the entire set" was enough to tip you guys off.

Besides, I said that "it can be argued that....." I never said the argument was a good one ;)

You are correct in your assessment that a little bit of the Freshmen goes a loooooooooooongzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz way. I might dig the Mizell Bros Byrd and Bartz Rare Grooves, but I haven't gone off the deep end yet :wacko: I think ;)

Hey! This is a serious poll! Don't ruin it with your cheap irony and nudge nudge wink wink intellectual superiority! And remember that spoof answers will be disregarded. Plus we know where you live. Or at least we could find out. Or try to. If we feel like it. Which we probably won't. But you can't rule it out.

So you'll just have to live in fear for the rest of your lives never knowing when the knock on the door will come its like waiting for godot only you dont know are you waiting you dont know and they bring you food they drink they what they who are the they and the food is there the drink is there but they they what they who they oh its been too long now never see the hand the tray under the door the walls made to look like real walls the tv plugged in like a real tv and esmerelda the bells the bells

Guest Chaney

So you'll just have to live in fear for the rest of your lives never knowing when the knock on the door will come...

Fear David? Let me tell you about fear.

There was a time (B.F. - Before Freshmen) when Ed would throw one helluva party. Beautiful wife and family, the perfect mix of friends, good food and drink and classic jazz. As Chuck would say: PAR-TAY!

And now? After Ed’s discovery of The Four Freshmen set?

Those who have not fled the country and are unlucky enough to receive an invitation from Ed “The Fifth Freshman” Swinnich are soon filled with dread. I’ve seen grown men rip off their own heads rather than attend a Swinnich soiree. (He's still a sweet guy so saying no is out of the question.) Those not man enough to take their own life are soon begging fellow revelers to at least injure them seriously enough to require an ambulance trip to the hospital.

The Friday night cardigan nights are the worst. Hours of the swingin’ Freshmen, all the milk (cow and soy -- the lactose intolerant are not exempt) and cookies (eleven varieties!) you can devour and there’s poor Ed and his ever-devoted (but now having serious second thoughts) wife, shit-eating grins on both their faces -- her’s very strained though -- both manically tapping their feed and gyrating their hips in a not-at-all appealing way.

And why? The Four Freshmen.

I’ll soon be departing for Uruguay so Ed, please don’t try one of those drive-by Four-Freshmen-blaring-from-your-car-stereo assaults. My driveway is now spike-stripped.

Edited by Chaney

The annual Memorial Day Freshmen-athon starts Saturday the 31st at 6 PM. Lasts 'till we can't swing no more. We're going to start off with "....and Five Guitars". That's all I'm saying because I'm want to keep you all in suspense. Let's just say that this year's mix will knock your socks off. But don't worry, I just had the deck sanded and sealed. What a way to kick off the summer of '03. So be there or be square.

By the way, we've got a great non-alcohol summer punch that we're going to sample before we serve it for real at our Fourth of July Freshmen Extravaganza. We'll also be trying out a new recipe for Ritz cracker mini pizzas.

We haven't nailed down the theme for our Labor Day Frosh Fest but I can assure you that you will not be admitted to this year's Halloween Masquerade unless you're dressed as your favorite Freshmen. And no Tony, Stan Kenton does not count.

Guest Chaney

So be there or be square.

Don't you mean: So be there AND be square?

God help us all.

I can't pack and get the hell out of here fast enough.

:unsure:

Guest Chaney

Yes Ed.

Didn't you tell me that with this album I'd score big time with the ladies?

i-1.JPG

Thanks to you and your suggestion, I'm more alone than ever.

Yes Ed.

Didn't you tell me that with this album I'd score big time with the ladies?

i-1.JPG

Thanks to you and your suggestion, I'm more alone than ever.

Were you wearing a blue suit though.

If the Freshmen didn't work, I might have to recommend something a little stronger - some George Shearing. Satin Affair or Velvet Carpet should do the trick.

Use the same blue suit but ditch the necktie try either a white turtleneck or a white ascot. Make sure you drink nothing but martinis and above all - no electric lights. Candles only.

"Get a cardigan" Ed said.  "The ladies love that look."

uc_main.jpg

But I didn't say get a cardigan that looks like it was made from surplus prison garb. A nice navy or brown cardigan works nicely. It keeps the babes focus on you and not on what you're wearing.

If the cardigan doesn't seem to be working out try adding a fake eye patch. You can't help but make eye contact with one of those on.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Guest Chaney

Hmmmmm.... Eyepatch. How long were you going to hold out on sharing that idea?

All right, granted, the eyepatch sounds like a good idea but didn’t we agree to save that look for this year’s Star Trek convention at the Las Vegas Hilton? I was hoping to score with a female Klingon.

I'll try the ascot.

Guest Chaney

And remember this time? Lactaid cheese on the mini Ritz pizzas? Or do we want a repeat of my gastric... ahem ... difficulties like last time around?