2 alternates in the Mingus Candid set

Well, at the moment my booklet for the cd set is AWOL. That might have some information. I just listened to the cd version on headphones and in my HHB burner which allows me to look at volume levels. The two channels do show some slight variation in level but not much, and the images are centered. . . it's a mono source, there is no separation. The sounds is very different from that on the DA Music cds; there the source is clearly stereo.

Not sure what is up but my guess is there's a difference between the lp and cd masters on the Mosaic sets.

Edited by jazzbo

No - and btw, it is the *issue* numbers (not the matrix numbers) that differ between the stereo (Candid 9005) and mono (Candid 8005) versions. I don't believe that the Candid label used master numbers (and certainly not matrix numbers, which are a pre-tape artifact). At least I've never seen documentation of such.

Mike

Yes, Mike, you have confirmed what I suspected based on people's posts - different remasterings altogether for the LP and CD. Thank you.

And sorry about the confusion of terms "matrix" and "issue" numbers. Mea culpa, I learned something about the terminology, a finer distinction that I wasn't aware of.

But unfortunately none of this actually sheds any definitive light on the central question here - mono versus stereo on the LP set?

Have to say, though, if I were a betting man, I'd say it sure is looking like the LP set, not being from original tapes, would most likely be either true stereo (consistent with the Candid reissues of various vintages) or possibly really tarted up mono that would sound like stereo, consistent with what my ears are telling me.

For my part, I'm really at this point only interested for academic reasons...as I said clearly in my first post on the subject, I could actually give a crap, the point is the LPs sound fantastic, whether mono, stereo, quadraphonic, whatever. RVG did himself a very fine job here.

Edited by DrJ

• 3 weeks later...

I've gotten to hear the lps via cdr thanks to Tony, and able to compare them to the cd counterparts.

The lp version of the "Mingus Presents Mingus" definitely IS stereo; the cds are mono. Odd but there you go. In general both sound very good to me. The lps seem to have a bolder and more vivid sound (as RVG vinyl in general does to my ears) and the cds have a smoother and more mellow sound to them (actually a very good match for my system).

Can't go wrong with either, and even the material on earlier Candid cds sounds pretty good!