Miles Davis - Complete Montreux (20CD box)

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Nah . . . the shoes she is thinking of just cost about one box set. She would NEVER buy me the box set.

Dude - let her buy you the shoes, and try them on. OOPS - they don't fit just right, gonna have to take them back and exchange them, never mind honey, I'll do it myself, you stay here and rest.

Whilst out, RETURN the shoes, and with the credit, buy the box set, placing it in the shoe box for the return home (gives the term "box set" a whole 'nother dimension, eh?). Postpone wearing the new shoes, insist on waiting for "the right moment". When she gets TOO suspicious, fess up, and everybody have a laugh. She's GOTTA love you, ya' big lug!

Trust me, this'll work like a charm, or else my name's not Millard P. Fillmore!

Ooops, no that won't work. I thought about that. If I get the shoes, I'll have to keep the shoes, and wear 'em every day. She's on my ass like fruit of the loom about this sort of thing! And she thinks I have ENOUGH box sets. How did she get that idea! :o

• 2 weeks later...

Well, both feet are still intact, and no new shoes to pinch and cramp them either. . . yet.

But I do have this set now, thanks to the kind consideration of a board member who gave a great price to me to give this set a good home.

And I'm going to provide it with climate control and maybe even keep dust off the top of the box! It's a very handsome set, and I've listened to a few discs and have to say I enjoy them more than I thought I would!

The Miles collector in me is sighing a contented sigh and I think this is going to be a nice asset to have in my shelves.

Would be interesting if they broke this up into small sets, of varying size perhaps for the different bands or the different concerts. I don't see this as likely happening, but if it did, it would get this music into more interested hands!

• 3 years later...

I bought it a few months after it came out at a Boxing Day blowout sale. I was only interested in the first 2 CDs, but Discs 3 to 10 with Sco are pretty good, even though there’s not much difference between the respective afternoon and evening sets.

Discs 11 and 12 are interesting for the presence of Robben Ford’s bluesy guitar, but the minute the second keyboardist joined, the music got bludgeoned by cheesy synths. I’ve never bothered listening to some of the later discs.

Thanks for the input. I can't find it for less than $165. It is a lot but considering that there are 20CDs, I may be tempted. Yet, if somebody here has a spare one for $60 give me a shout! ;):g

Edited by ASNL77

As for the box, a buddy of mine bought it, and then for grins (this is the kind of creative soul he is) ripped it to his hard drive, put the whole set into a jukebox program, set it to random play, and then reburned the output, after which he put THOSE results through another program to make smooth crossfades between tracks and to perform other audio niceties. The result is a set of about 12 or so CDs of Miles concerts from Montreux, none of which occurred as represented on his remix discs - the different bands from the different years appear side by side seamlessly, and truthfully, it succeeds splendidly in a way that the documetary approach of the actual box might not (haven't heard it yet in its "natural" state, so I can't say). Heard like this, I have no qualms about the music whatsoever!

:g

I got this set for $40-something sealed on eBay a couple of years ago after placing a lowball bid - I was absolutely sure I'd be outbid, and was shocked when I wasn't. I was even more shocked when it actually showed up, as I half suspected yet another eBay scam but was willing to gamble the money on the off chance it wasn't. Still haven't listened to the entire thing yet, but this thread is encouraging me to pull it off the shelf a give a few more of the discs a spin.