Dexter makes the Blue Note slide show

Ed S

Just checked out the BN website. They've got a new slide show goin' and Dex finally made the grade. He's sandwiched right in between Madlib and Norah.

They open with the show with Soulive. Wonder if they're tryin to make up for that new Soulive CD fiasco. By the way, anyone get their replacement disc yet? I only had a regular envelope and a single 37 cent stamp in the house so I cracked the disc in half to fit it in the envelope. It actually broke into about 10-12 pieces. Think they're holding that against me?

Interesting. Dex and Patton are the only classic musicians featured in a photo roster of otherwise current talent. My first reaction was, “Hey, what about Rollins, Shorter, Mobley, Morgan, Blakey…” Then it dawned on me, Blue Note should put emphasis on promoting their active contracts. But no Lovano?

I think Lovano’s live nonet recording is supposed to be released in August along with the Moran. I guess that’s a few months off yet, and BN has yet to officially announce their SACDs that may hit the streets in a few days —no Trane photo either.

Ah, well… did you see the customer reviews under Dex’s The Classic Blue Note Recordings? Greg’s spirit lives on.

Wow - I read the customer comments on the BN website. Shades of Greg indeed. :wacko: Plus not too many are happy with another comp.

The liner notes say that the set is a celebration of the 80th anniversary of Dexter's birth. I guess in that context, a 2 CD career retrospective is most appropriate - in spite of the fact that most of the material is readily available. Individual releases such as Clubhouse or Landslide would have been nice, but I honestly don't think they have as much sales potential as this set.

I tip my hat to Michael Cuscuna and Blue Note for keeping Dexter's legacy alive. My guess is that they did not want to incur a great deal of expense, yet release something that is commercially viable and meets the goal of celebrating Dex's birth date.

I have all of Dex's releases including the 60s box and I picked it up anyways. Sets like this fit nicely into my listening habits plus I keep a certain amount of discs in the car and at work. While I can see how some are disappointed that the individual releases of Landslide or Clubhouse did not come out, I'm thinking they will at some point. In the reissue business it seems patience is a virtue.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Well, I didn't read the comments but there are a lot of people out there who maybe don't have the individual cds or the box so this 2 cd set can't be a bad idea. Plus, I think it's a good way, as Ed said, to celebrate Dexter's contributions. It's also a nice way to keep his name in the jazz buying public's mind, especially with the release of the Steeplechase box. Alsol, there's also a nice essay there from his wife. I'm glad Blue Note did this.