Kenton Presents Set Going OOP

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth it. Definitely a "'west cost" vibe, but there's some great swinging music here. I think this set is worth getting for the Rosolino tracks alone. But you also get "Holman's Great Big Band, " some really fine Holman small group stuff including quartet tracks with Carl Perkins. And the Cooper stuff mostly sparkles too, though I find perhaps a bit less variety in his arranging. But all in all you can't go wrong with this set. And as I recall, the CD's average around 70 minutes each.

I enjoy Bob Cooper's saxophone playing, on this set, much more than I would have thought.

The couple of quirky vocal tracks offered by Frank Rosolino are unique and fun. I smile every time I hear the Rosolino vocal tunes.

Edited by wesbed

Yeah, I feel a little smug, too.

I ordered the Chico Hamilton - my first Mosaic - and it went.

I ordered the Kenton Presents - and it's on its way out, too.

I ordered the Johnny Hodges a couple of days ago - so maybe it's for the axe as well.

Oh no, not the Hodges! No money here, after the two VeeJays!

It feels good, for the first time, ever, that 'I' own a Mosaic 'before' it's selected to go out of print.

I purchased the Kenton Presents box, a few weeks back, along with the Teddy Wilson box. I checked the chronological order of the Mosaic catalog and figured the Kenton Presents box might a set on the 'soon to go out of print' list. B-)

even with the quirky Rossalino vocals.

If I remember correctly, there are FOUR Rosolino vocal tracks on this set. The rest of the box is non-vocal. Rosolino's vocals are quirky but I enjoy them very much. To me, his vocals are a highlight of the Kenton Presents box. To my ears, Rosolino is very good when he sings That Old Black Magic. I can listen over and over.

My point, most of the set is NOT vocal. If you're wondering about there being too many vocals, there aren't. I'd like to hear more from Rosolino's vocal attempts. He makes me smile every time I hear him sing.

Oh crap, another running low set! I think I'm going to pass on this one, damn it! I want it, I set up a savings account for endangered Mosaics, I have the money but I can't bring myself to spend it...argh! I am in the process of starting to build a house and need every penny I can pinch. Oh, the sacrifice....I'm bummed!