Charles Lloyd Corner

connoisseur series500

I've got only two Charles Lloyd cds, namely THE WATER IS WIDE, and THE CALL. I just purchased the latter and haven't yet formed any kind of opinion. The first cd however is wonderful music. I particularly like Brad Mehldau's work there.

I would like to know what you all think of Lloyd, and which sessions are worth picking up.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you like "Water is Wide", definitely pick up its companion "Hyperion with Higgins". It has the same great group interplay, but its a little more upbeat with some terrific compositions by Lloyd. Highly recommended.

I like what Charles Lloyd made after his return in the late 80's, but I prefer his 60's recordings

My favourite is an album he made in Chico Hamilton's group: Drumfusion

Lloyd gets a lot of solo space (could almost be his session) and plays in a wilder, more Coltrane-influenced style than later.

Apparently this album never made it to CD. I found an LP (looks like a reissue from the 80's or 90's) recently.

Edited by Claude

Yeah, much of the Atlantic stuff still holds up, notably DREAM WEAVER, THE FLOWERING, IN THE SOVIET UNION, &, of course, the hit album FOREST FLOWER. The (several decades) later ACCOUSTIC MASTERS 1 is a good'un as well.

DRUMFUSION is a keeper, as are Chico's PASSIN' THROUGH & MAN FROM TWO WORLDS, both on impulse (although to get both albums today, you have to buy the CD versions of MAN FROM TWO WORLDS & THE DEALER, the latter a VERY different album. Why they did it like this defies reason.)

For later Lloyd, try his BN album recorded at Montreux. that's some good stuff. The ECM stuff is different in feel, but I like it just fine, especially CANTO.

Lloyd's never been a "heavy" player to me, but I've always enjoyed him because of his tone - very distinctive, very personal, and at it's best, very moving. I do think that he's really, REALLY come into his own as a player with the ECM things - there's a depth there that even the best of his earlier work lacked, but that's just my opinion.

I sold off my Lloyd ECMs. I find his fluttery style soporific, not deep. Also the ECM digital sound is pretty dull on my equipment and an additional turn off.

I haven't heard recent ones like Hyperion so maybe these are different, but what I once took as deep (a generous dollop of late-trane-lite) I now no longer respond to.

Though of course ten years from now I'll be hunting them all down again...

Edited by David Ayers

I prefer the early stuff on Atlantic, particularly the one called 'The Flowering of the Original Charles Llloyd Quartet in Concert' with the period flower-power/afro hair cover design. This was a particularly powerful group, with Jarrett, Cecil McBee and Jack DeJohnette. Particular highlights are a storming version of 'Wilpans' (check out Jarrett's solo) and a very nice performance of 'Speak Low'.

:rhappy:

I'm a big fan of Lloyd's ECM work. I've yet to get around to picking up his most recent, but I've got the rest. I dig his sound and the feel of those albums. I'm a big Abercrombie fan as well, so that's an added bonus.

I've yet to sample his Atlantic years but will, I guess, at some point. Just not enough time to get to everything.

a generous dollop of late-trane-lite

A bit harsh.

Isn't that like calling orange 'red-lite' !

I admit my mind does wander a bit in Lloyd's ECM recordings but I like them, especially the last one. I saw him at the Brecon Festival a few years back and found him very engaging.

BBC 4 has a Lonon concert being broadcast at present with Abercrombie. Went out last night and is repeated tonight.

My favorite Charles Lloyd:

"Forest Flower"- still holds up rather well; a remarkable band. I like the pairing of it on CD with "Soundtrack".

"Canto"- the best and most cohesive of his ECMs; one of my favorite recordings of the last decade. Beautiful.

• 3 months later...

Recent tasty Charles Lloyd vinyl discovery on UK Epic (looks like his first CBS album) of 1963. Title is 'Bizarre'. Track listing:

'Days of Wine and Roses'

'Sweet Georgia Bright'

'Forest Flower' (smokes ! B) )

'Love Song To A Baby'

'Little Peace'

'How Can I Tell You?'

'Ol' Five Spot'

'Bizarre'

Lineup has Lloyd with Don Friedman, Eddie Khan, Richard Davis, Roy Haines and JC Moses.

I like the few things I've heard or have from Lloyd (Passin' through with Chico, Canto, one of the Atlantics). Then I've seen him live once (a month and a half after 9-11, which seemed to have hit him quite hard), and that was a great experience! He was with John Abercrombie, Marc Johnson and Billy Hart and played a beautiful concert. Recently, he was in Germany with Geri Allen, Robert Hurst and Eric Harland. Heard broadcast, and he again was playing great, the band being great, too. Surely post-Coltrane in general mood, but his style of playing the saxophone is entirely his own, a rather unique affair, I'd say. I think seing him live makes a huge difference to just hearing him on record. He's got sort of an aura (maybe the one Benjamin meant?) when being on stage performing.

I have not yet picked up the CD reissue of Cannonball's Fiddler on the Roof, but I guess that must be a good one, too!

And how about a "Complete Atlantic Recordings of the Charles Lloyd Quartet" Mosaic set? That would sure be a good one, and it would sure demonstrate that this music still functions very well today!

ubu

Of Lloyd's Atlantics, I prefer the live dates -- FOREST FLOWER, LOVE-IN, and LIVE IN THE SOVIET UNION in particular. Of the ECM's, I actually like NOTES FROM BIG SUR quite a bit -- having Ralph Peterson at the kit means its a little more, uhh, "dynamic" than some of Lloyd's post-"comeback" sessions. Oh, and don't fail to check out the veriosn of the Costello / Bachrach "God Give Me Strength" on VOICE IN THE NIGHT...

It would also be nice to have Lloyd's Columbia dates back in wider circulation.

Lloyd also steals the show at the "One Night with Blue Note" concert--was it 1985? Does anyone know which cd has "Tone Poem?" Man, that's a great song.

I keep buying more Lloyd and am never disappointed. Recently picked up "Canto," and "Acoustic Masters I." The latter has Cedar Walton on piano. I highly recommend both.

I am so happy to find this thread and some fellow Lloyd enthusiasts. I first saw Lloyd, with his original Quartet, at the Antibes Jazz Festival in 1966. It was a warm balmy evening, quite late when Lloyd came onstage and launched into Forest Flower. It was just magical. I was barely into my teens and until then mainly a Dave Brubeck/Duke Ellington (also at that Festival)/Gerry Mulligan/Rolling Stones (I know) fan. Lloyd opened my ears wider and I've since acquired practically everything he's ever released. I love them all - the CBSs, the Atlantics, the mid period indie label hoppings, the ECMs. His music has changed at the edges over the decades, but its core values have remained constant. For me, much as I've enjoyed Coltrane, Sanders and Henderson and others, Lloyd has always been and remains today The Man. If I had just one album to take to a desert island it would be Dream Weaver, two and I'd add Notes from Big Sur, three and I'd add Forest Flower. But basically there isn't a dud in the entire canon and you can buy them blind.

The more I listen to Charles Lloyd, the more I love him. The man has such a sweet soul. It comes out in his music.

He is more than just Coltrane-lite. To me, Coltrane left all kinds of undeveloped ideas behind. Lloyd's music is so spiritual like Trane's. I think he carries some of Trane's ideas farther. Trane wouldn't have explored in the same direction; he was like a volcano gushing with ideas and new directions.

NOTES FROM BIG SUR on ECM - yeah, I'll give that one another thumbs up. It takes some time to get going, but in a good way - Lloyd takes his time setting the tone and mood. It captures the feeling you get at Big Sur quite amazingly well, actually, like time is moving much more slowly than in the "real world."

I have to say though that based on what I've heard of Lloyd elsewhere, he's not a favorite and I just don't feel compelled to seek out anything more...oh, maybe one of his earlier dates with Jarrett but having heard those, I'm not overly impressed there either. Lloyd is the kind of player, for me, where one or two representative titles in the collection is enough. At least at this point in time.