Charles Lloyd Corner

connoisseur series500

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you seen that Jazz Casual spot of Lloyd's? There are gyrations and facial expressions worthy of the very worst rock bands of the time. If Spinal Tap was to ever hire a tenor player, they'd use this set as a role model of how the guy should behave while playing. And Jarrett ain't no better...

I've only seen Lloyd's current live performances, which feature some gyrations but probably not as bad as the video you describe (and I haven't seen).

As far as Jarrett -- I recently read an interview with him where he said he'd recently seen a video of one of his performances. He laughed and said that "it was pretty graphic."

Guy

Some of you may already know that he plays on two Beach Boys tracks, "Trancendental Meditation" and "Feel Flows". The Boys, in turn, appear on his albums "Waves" and "Warm Waters".

Are you sure about those being the cuts?

Absolutely - plays tenor on "Trancendental Meditation" (on "Friends") and flute on "Feel Flows" (on "Surf's Up").

I ask because I've never seen that credited anywhere before. Lloyd's got credits for the later 15 Big Ones & The M.I.U. Album, as well as that whole Celebration offshoot thing, but I dunno....I find it hard to believe that that's Lloyd's tenor on "Trancendental Meditation", if for no other reason than the tone is so unfocused and ragged. Sounds more like it might be somebody like Steve Douglas, or even/probably Mike Love (who, remember, honked out a few lame solos on earlier BB sides). It's pretty bad tenor playing, really.

Friends was when, '68? Had Lloyd gotten into TM yet?

Edited by JSngry

I find it hard to believe that that's Lloyd's tenor on  "Trancendental Meditation", if for no other reason than the tone is so unfocused and ragged. Sounds more like it might be somebody like Steve Douglas, or even/probably Mike Love (who, remember, honked out a few lame solos on earlier BB sides). It's pretty bad tenor playing, really.

Friends was when, '68? Had Lloyd gotten into TM yet?

Mike Love's tenor solos were way beneath whover is playing on TM, which is somewhat Trane-ish, I've always thought. I can't remember where I first heard it, but I don't have trouble believing it to be Lloyd. Steve Douglas is certainly a logical guess, but I can't hear him doing this. I don't know when Lloyd first got into TM, or when he befriended the Beach Boys, but it seems plausible to me.

• 2 months later...

New Lloyd album coming out in April, according to the ECM website:

Charles Lloyd’s first live album for ECM, recorded in California, features his new trio Sangam. It is a very exciting band and the often-breathtaking exchanges between Zakir Hussain’s tabla and Eric Harland’s jazz drums –a rush of purring, jewel precision beats - galvanize Lloyd’s own playing. Ideas are hurled, often gleefully, between the three musicians. Well-known Lloyd tunes such as “Tales of Rumi”, “Little Peace” and “Hymn To The Mother” are interspersed with brand-new constructions invented in the moment, which glow with the freshness of discovery.

• 1 year later...

Any thoughts on Lloyd's 2002 album Lift Every Voice?

I don't think it's Lloyd's best for ECM, but if you like the other ECMs you'll probably like this one. Some great stuff on here -- "Blood Count", the Silvio Rodriguez tunes, "Amazing Grace", the flute tune on the second disc. Parts of the second disc ramble.

Guy

Just received this. I haven't gotten to the second disc yet, but I'm really lovin' what I'm hearing on the first one. I'm not a particularly big fan of the ECM stuff in general, but something about the LLoyd/Abercrombie combination speaks to me in just the right spot.

• 1 year later...

Any thoughts on Lloyd's 2002 album Lift Every Voice?

I don't think it's Lloyd's best for ECM, but if you like the other ECMs you'll probably like this one. Some great stuff on here -- "Blood Count", the Silvio Rodriguez tunes, "Amazing Grace", the flute tune on the second disc. Parts of the second disc ramble.

Guy

Just received this. I haven't gotten to the second disc yet, but I'm really lovin' what I'm hearing on the first one. I'm not a particularly big fan of the ECM stuff in general, but something about the LLoyd/Abercrombie combination speaks to me in just the right spot.

Up again for this thread. Have been spinning 'Lift Every Voice' for the last few days and really like it. Started on CD2 (the one with the great 'Blood Count' on it) and haven't even got to CD1 yet. I find Geri Allen's playing on this album particularly effective - thoughtfull, unpredictable and reminds me a lot of Alice Coltrane's 60s style. Anyone expecting lots of down-home blues on this album is going to be disappointed - however, it is extremely lyrical. John Abercrombie also fits into this style most effectively and as mentioned, he sounds good in unison with Lloyd.

Penguin guide gives it 3 stars - I think that's a wee bit ungenerous and it merits at least a '3.5'.

Edited by sidewinder

^ I will revisit that one again, for some reason aside from a few tunes I have yet to connect with most of the Billy Higgens (Water Is Wide, Hyperion with Higgins) records the same way I do with Canto and Jumping the Creek.

Edited by WorldB3

• 2 weeks later...

I've a question regarding Charles Lloyd and wonder whether anyone can help. In 1999 I was lucky enough to be in New York when the Jazz Festival was on. I caught a couple of shows and picked up a flier saying they'd been recorded and dutifully checked to see if I could order them. None of the shows I'd seen showed up unfortunately but I did see a Charles Lloyd show listed and had heard Voice in the Night so I ordered a disc full. (with a couple of fillers by Charles Gayle and the Brilliant Coroners(!))

Couple of things:

Can anyone confirm when/where the show took place (All I have is June 3-13 1999 New York) Knitting Factory maybe?

Does anyone have the rest of the show? I like the studio albums but this set with Lloyd, John Scofield in for Abercrombie and I think Marc Johnson on bass with Higgins is brilliant and I've been kicking myself for not springing for the whole thing...

Any info would be great. Its a great idea too and a shame its never really caught on...

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

I've been recently exploring the Lloyd back catalog - Of Course Of Course, Notes from Big Sur, and Acoustic Masters I. NfBS is prob my favorite of the 3, and my opinion one of the best from the ECM run, but the other two are excellent two. Acoustic Masters is a nice example of Lloyd playing in a relatively mainstream setting - Cedar Walton is an interesting contrast to the more "modern" pianists Lloyd has played with on ECM.

Guy

• 11 months later...

Unsolicited, my ratings of the Lloyd albums I've heard:

Discovery (A)

Of Course, Of Course (A)

Nirvana ( C )

Dream Weaver (A)

Forest Flower (B)

The Flowering (A)

In Europe (B)

Love In (B)

Journey Within ( C - I know I said good stuff about this in the past, since re-evaluated downward)

In the Soviet Union ( C )

Soundtrack ( C )

Fish Out of Water (B)

Notes from Big Sur (A)

Acoustic Masters I (A)

The Call (B, maybe C)

All My Relations (B, maybe A)

Canto (A)

Voice in the Night (A)

The Water Is Wide (A)

Hyperion with Higgins (B)

Lift Every Voice (B, maybe A)

Jumping the Creek (B)

Sangam (B, maybe A)

Rabo de Nube (A)

Edited by Guy

I'd like to get this kicking again, as I do like Charles Lloyd quite a lot. I'm much too young to have been into him, or into jazz, in the 1960s, so I'm largely responding to his ECM albums, especially those since about the turn of the century. Parts of Lift Every Voice are spectacular, and I thoroughly enjoy Rabo de Nube--a really fine live album. I did see Lloyd once in concert, and this record seems to reflect this rather well.

I was somewhat disappointed by Mirror, especially since I found Jason Moran to be such a great fit in Lloyd's group. I understand there is a just-released (or about to be released) duo CD of Lloyd and Moran. I would like to hear that.

I've been a fan of his music from the associations with Chico Hamilton and Gabor Szabo to his more current phase. It's his Autumnal phase that I'm enjoying now which has been wonderful watching it unfold like a reincarnation though he's never really died. He's playing as good if not better than he ever has which is amazing in some ways. I don't have anything newer than Rabo de Nube and I don't have everything. There are a few from his last ten or fifteen years that I still don't have but the ones I do get a lot of playing from me. I can't think of a weak album in my collection so I guess you could call me a satisfied fan. In a way it reminds me that you don't need to own everything by an artist with such an extensive discography, a well chosen selection whether by skill or luck can be enough.

I'd like to get this kicking again, as I do like Charles Lloyd quite a lot. I'm much too young to have been into him, or into jazz, in the 1960s, so I'm largely responding to his ECM albums, especially those since about the turn of the century. Parts of Lift Every Voice are spectacular, and I thoroughly enjoy Rabo de Nube--a really fine live album. I did see Lloyd once in concert, and this record seems to reflect this rather well.

I was somewhat disappointed by Mirror, especially since I found Jason Moran to be such a great fit in Lloyd's group. I understand there is a just-released (or about to be released) duo CD of Lloyd and Moran. I would like to hear that.

My story is almost the same. First album I got from him was Rabo de Nube, and since then I try to get all his ECM stuff from the early nineties till now. I can understand the disappointment in Mirror, but haven given it a chance it completely grew on me, and now I play it quite a lot.

Edited by niels

• 1 month later...

a generous dollop of late-trane-lite

A bit harsh.

Isn't that like calling orange 'red-lite' !

I admit my mind does wander a bit in Lloyd's ECM recordings but I like them, especially the last one. I saw him at the Brecon Festival a few years back and found him very engaging.

BBC 4 has a Lonon concert being broadcast at present with Abercrombie. Went out last night and is repeated tonight.

Orange is a stupid wannabe colour, and I feel pretty much the same way about Charles Lloyd. That early band with KJ et all was important since it marks the begining of '1st string' jazz bands where the rhythm section consistantly outplays the frontline...