Charles Lloyd Corner

connoisseur series500

You put it very well, Mr Connoisseur.

And Dr J: I agree, Notes from Big Sur does take a while to get going, though in a good way as you note. In that respect it reminds me a bit of the title track of Pharoah Sanders' Tauhid - without carrying the analogy any further, because I feel Lloyd's spirituality is altogether quieter and more personal than Sanders' more extrovert groove.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lloyd also steals the show at the "One Night with Blue Note" concert--was it 1985? Does anyone know which cd has "Tone Poem?" Man, that's a great song.

I keep buying more Lloyd and am never disappointed. Recently picked up "Canto," and "Acoustic Masters I." The latter has Cedar Walton on piano. I highly recommend both.

Is it easy to find Acoustic Masters? It seems to be out of print.

Guy

FWIW, my old boss at Down Beat, Dan Morgenstern, told me that he went do an interview with Lloyd in his early "Love-In"/"Dream Weaver" hey-day, and when Lloyd answered the knock on the hotel room door, he said that it was too bad that Dan hadn't arrived a minute or too earlier, when Lloyd had been levitating. As I recall, Dan politely inquired further, and Lloyd explained that he meant that quite literally, that he'd been hovering a foot or two off the floor for some time that afternoon.

Lawrence Kart Posted: Sep 16 2003, 02:42 PM   

FWIW, my old boss at Down Beat, Dan Morgenstern, told me that he went do an interview with Lloyd in his early "Love-In"/"Dream Weaver" hey-day, and when Lloyd answered the knock on the hotel room door, he said that it was too bad that Dan hadn't arrived a minute or too earlier, when Lloyd had been levitating. As I recall, Dan politely inquired further, and Lloyd explained that he meant that quite literally, that he'd been hovering a foot or two off the floor for some time that afternoon. 

You know, there are some really interesting mushrooms that grow near Big Sur...

He is more than just Coltrane-lite. To me, Coltrane left all kinds of undeveloped ideas behind. Lloyd's music is so spiritual like Trane's. I think he carries some of Trane's ideas farther. Trane wouldn't have explored in the same direction; he was like a volcano gushing with ideas and new directions.

I don't have a problem with the term "Coltrane-lite" -- considering how heavy Trane's music was, almost ANYBODY following in his footsteps would be "lite". It's not an insult to Lloyd. As you say, Lloyd has put his own creative spin on the Coltrane legacy and taken it to interesting places. Lloyd is also "Coltrane-light" in the sense that his tone is playing is much softer than Trane's. Again, not an insult at all.

Does anybody else feel that his sound was a little thin on the Hyperion with Higgins / Water Is Wide sessions? It sounds much, much richer on Canto and Voice in the Night.

Guy

Does anybody else feel that his sound was a little thin on the Hyperion with Higgins / Water Is Wide sessions? It sounds much, much richer on Canto and Voice in the Night.

Guy

Hmm, I like all those sessions.

Always spiritual, it seems as if Lloyd gets more spiritual with age. "water is Wide" is my personal favorite. Of course, I love Mehldau's work on it along with "Hyperion.."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

A few days ago I downloaded a phenomenal Charles Lloyd recording from Sharing the Groove. It's a 1967 performance from Paris and the quartet is absolutely smoking. The music is much freer than what I've heard on Forest Flower, Love-In or Soundtrack and I only recognize a few tracks ("Piercing the Veil", "Tribal Dance", "How Can I Tell You".) Charles's tenor playing, which is erratic on some albums from this period, is really strong with some nice unaccompanied cadenzas. The collective improvs by the rhythm section are outstanding.

Anyway, highly recommended!

Guy

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Track list for Jumping the Creek:

1. Ne Me Quitte Pas (If You Go Away)

2. Ken Katta Ma Om (Bright Sun Upon You)

3. Angel Oak Revisited

4. Canon Perdido

5. Jumping The Creek

6. The Sufi's Tears

7. Georgia Bright Suite I. Pythagoras At Jeckll Island, II. Sweet Georgia Bright

8. Come Sunday

9. Both Veils Must Go

10. Song Of The Inuit

• 3 weeks later...

I've just started wading into the Lloyd Atlantic sets. So far I've picked up:

Forest Flower-original stereo pressing (minty vinyl)

Love-In (4 Men With Beards pressing; :tup )

Live at Fillmore-original stereo pressing (minty vinyl)

Live in USSR-original stereo pressing (minty vinyl)

I'm really diggin' what I'm hearing. Nice to hear Jarrett playing on the edge...

But this morning, after reading this thread, I put on Forest Flower after hearing all the praise. I had just played the Canadian pressing of Genesis' "Spot The Pigeon" EP and forgot to change the speed from 45rpm to 33& 1/3 rpm.

I thought they had all gone crazy! Jarrett's solo on the first track is wild enough at the correct speed; at 45rpm, it's out of the stratosphere!

:lol: B-) :w

Edited by Parkertown

I've just started wading into the Lloyd Atlantic sets. So far I've picked up:

Forest Flower-original stereo pressing (minty vinyl)

Love-In (4 Men With Beards pressing; :tup )

Live at Fillmore-original stereo pressing (minty vinyl)

Live in USSR-original stereo pressing (minty vinyl)

I'm really diggin' what I'm hearing. Nice to hear Jarrett playing on the edge...

But this morning, after reading this thread, I put on Forest Flower after hearing all the praise. I had just played the Canadian pressing of Genesis' "Spot The Pigeon" EP and forgot to change the speed from 45rpm to 33& 1/3 rpm.

I thought they had all gone crazy! Jarrett's solo on the first track is wild enough at the correct speed; at 45rpm, it's out of the stratosphere!

:lol: B-) :w

Jarrett was quite a little monster back in the day. One of my favorite "Jarrett with Lloyd" bits is his solo on "Autumn Leaves" (from Dream Weaver).

Guy