Charles Lloyd Corner

connoisseur series500

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw him Monday with Gerald Clayton, Ruben Rogers, Eric Harland - trio was tight and working damn hard - Lloyd a faint echo of middle period Trane and meh...

I can see why some would feel this way - and it was even more true for the 60s quartet with Jarrett. The late 80s/mid 90s albums on ECM (through Voice in the NIght) as well as Acoustic Masters are much more "equal".

• 8 months later...

Bump.

I'm going crazy for Lloyd at the moment. I've never been a huge fan of his playing, could definitely relate to the Trane-lite comments, except that i found it to be slightly more gross than that. And the peace and love hippy affectations can fuck right off. I mentioned in another thread that i came across some Lloyd albums pretty cheap in a brick and mortar store on the weekend, and against my better judgement i picked up a couple. On Saturday night when i was listening to Dream Weaver something just clicked and i heard Lloyd in a whole new light. I went back to the store the next day and picked up the rest of the Atlantics (i now have all 8) and just ordered Of Course, Of Course from Mosaic.

I actually have about 6 of his ECMs with various groups, looking forward to revisiting them but i think i'll work my way up.

I sold off my Lloyd ECMs. I find his fluttery style soporific, not deep. Also the ECM digital sound is pretty dull on my equipment and an additional turn off.

I haven't heard recent ones like Hyperion so maybe these are different, but what I once took as deep (a generous dollop of late-trane-lite) I now no longer respond to.

Though of course ten years from now I'll be hunting them all down again...

Ten years on.... :blush:

I sold off my Lloyd ECMs. I find his fluttery style soporific, not deep. Also the ECM digital sound is pretty dull on my equipment and an additional turn off.

I haven't heard recent ones like Hyperion so maybe these are different, but what I once took as deep (a generous dollop of late-trane-lite) I now no longer respond to.

Soooooooo, will be hunting them all down again, won't be hunting them all down again?

Soooooooo, will be hunting them all down again, won't be hunting them all down again?

Well not *all* of them...but I am back in the fold to the extent that he really hits the sweet spot for me these days.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently purchased Of Course, Of Course. It's a joy of an album, worth hearing for Tony Williams and Ron Carter alone but i feel like this is one of those gem albums where you don't need to be a fan of the personnel in general to enjoy it. Highly recommended.

This is a great one - I think Discovery is even better.

Charles was the opening act at the first jazz concert I ever went to - 11/20/71 at UC Santa Barbara.

The headliner was Freddie Hubbard w/Junior Cook, Geo Cables, Alex Blake, Lenny White

I don't know who was in his band at the time, but it was a little before "Waves" was released.

Recently purchased Of Course, Of Course. It's a joy of an album, worth hearing for Tony Williams and Ron Carter alone but i feel like this is one of those gem albums where you don't need to be a fan of the personnel in general to enjoy it. Highly recommended.

This is a great one - I think Discovery is even better.

Really? Dang, another album for the wish list.

• 3 months later...

Resonance Records put out a 10" LP of live recordings from Slug's Saloon for Record Store Day, and they'll be part of a forthcoming two-CD set:

Resonance Records is proud to release, Charles Lloyd, "Live at Slugs," a collection of never-before released material featuring Charles Lloyd's forgotten 1965 quartet with Ron Carter (bass), Gabor Szabo (guitar), and Pete LaRoca Sims (on drums). These are the only recordings ever released from this group. This material features the earliest known recording of the Charles Lloyd classic composition, "Dreamweaver," and is also a tribute to one of the forgotten jazz shrines, Slugs of the Far East (which was located in New York City's Lower East Side). These tracks will be featured in a forthcoming 2CD/2LP set of all unreleased material called "Manhattan Stories," to be released later this year on Resonance Records.

I don't know how they can say "these are the only recordings ever released from this group." Just not true.

Lon - which recordings are you talking about? Of Course Of Course has Tony Williams, not Pete LaRoca; and the tracks recorded a little later with LaRoca have Albert Stinson on board rather than Ron Carter.

Anyway, this should be great and I am looking forward to it. Should be quite a bit better than most of the live recordings with Jarrett and DeJohnette, at least in terms of Lloyd's playing.

• 4 months later...

A tidal surge pounds through an opening in a coastal rock formation, and then empties out. One can feel the Pacific Ocean's force near Big Sur, Calif., where saxophonist Charles Lloyd spent a long period of retreat from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s, "getting off the bus," as he puts it, at the height of the popularity generated by his best-selling 1967 recording, "Forest Flower."

That image—filling up, emptying out—returns again and again, like a mantra. Water abounds, literally and figuratively, in "Arrows Into Infinity," a documentary about Mr. Lloyd directed and produced by his wife, Dorothy Darr, and Jeffery Morse, and recently released in DVD and Blu-ray formats by Mr. Lloyd's longtime music label, ECM. (It was screened last weekend at the Monterey Jazz Festival, where, 48 years ago, Mr. Lloyd was recorded in concert for "Forest Flower.")

More here:

WSJ

(or search for "Far From Linear")

I don't know how they can say "these are the only recordings ever released from this group." Just not true.

Lon - which recordings are you talking about? Of Course Of Course has Tony Williams, not Pete LaRoca; and the tracks recorded a little later with LaRoca have Albert Stinson on board rather than Ron Carter.

Anyway, this should be great and I am looking forward to it. Should be quite a bit better than most of the live recordings with Jarrett and DeJohnette, at least in terms of Lloyd's playing.

I don't know quite what I was thinking when I said that.

This is a good release.

Resonance Records put out a 10" LP of live recordings from Slug's Saloon for Record Store Day, and they'll be part of a forthcoming two-CD set:

Resonance Records is proud to release, Charles Lloyd, "Live at Slugs," a collection of never-before released material featuring Charles Lloyd's forgotten 1965 quartet with Ron Carter (bass), Gabor Szabo (guitar), and Pete LaRoca Sims (on drums). These are the only recordings ever released from this group. This material features the earliest known recording of the Charles Lloyd classic composition, "Dreamweaver," and is also a tribute to one of the forgotten jazz shrines, Slugs of the Far East (which was located in New York City's Lower East Side). These tracks will be featured in a forthcoming 2CD/2LP set of all unreleased material called "Manhattan Stories," to be released later this year on Resonance Records.

I just received a copy - looks interesting. I need to pick up Discovery for its inclusion of one of my favorite drummers, JC Moses. My dad used to have a few Lloyd records, which I tried on briefly as I was first getting into creative music, and they didn't fit. Have not heard his music in quite some time.

I just received a copy - looks interesting. I need to pick up Discovery for its inclusion of one of my favorite drummers, JC Moses. My dad used to have a few Lloyd records, which I tried on briefly as I was first getting into creative music, and they didn't fit. Have not heard his music in quite some time.

Discovery is a great, great record. Highly recommended to anyone who like inside/outside tenor playing of mid-60s vintage.

• 4 years later...

I gave the live album PASSIN’ THRU a listen today.  Great stuff.  If you like Lloyd’s other recent live recordings (RABO DE NUBE, WILD MAN DANCE) then you will like this one too.  As you would expect, it has moments of more outside playing relative to the more radio-friendly studio recordings.