Rolling Stones' Top Albums of the 1980s

Chrome

While there ARE some good albums on the RS list, mainly it serves to illustrate what an abysmal decade the 80's were for pop music.

Really? I think that the music made in the 80's was pretty strong overall. In comparison, most of the music popular from 1973-1978 seems really weak, save for the works of a few. I also cannot say that I have been too impressed with much of the pop music made after the early 1990's.

While there ARE some good albums on the RS list, mainly it serves to illustrate what an abysmal decade the 80's were for pop music.

Really? I think that the music made in the 80's was pretty strong overall. In comparison, most of the music popular from 1973-1978 seems really weak, save for the works of a few. I also cannot say that I have been too impressed with much of the pop music made after the early 1990's.

Well, if you include punk and associated independent music from 1976-78 (even though it was never "popular" in numbers sold) in a broad stylistic definition of "pop-rock," then yes, I think the 70's has it all over the decade of the 80's. And don't forget Eno did his best albums in the 70's, and then there's Parliament/Funkadelic. But then, I think the 90's sucked too...

Think of it this way---when Get Happy, a middling Costello album, makes a top-twenty list for a full DECADE, and you see it and kind of say to yourself, "Well, yeah, that WAS one of the better albums of 80's," can that really have been such an outstanding 10 years for pop music? Of course, I'll admit that part of it may be Rolling Stone's amazing talent for choosing albums I either outright loathe or am completely bored by. I very much like London Calling, but hey, 1979 folks. Kind of sad when you have to rope in an album from the previous decade to fill out a top twenty.

Bruce,

Yeah, I suppose that you are right. I guess that the bad music of the 70's has left a stronger impression on me than the bad music of the 80's. After a little thought, it is clear that there ARE a hell of a lot of great rock albums that were made in the 1970's. My top 10 rock albums of the 80's does not quite match up to my top 10 rock albums of the 70's.

My favorite album on the Rolling Stones list is Reckoning, one of my favorite albums of all time.

Guest ariceffron

HAVE ANY OF YOU PEOPLE REALIZED HOW POP WAS GOOD IN THE 60S, SUCKED IN THE 70S, AND WAS GOOD AGAIN IN THE 80S???? WHY IS THAT??

I MEAN, 60S POP IS GOOD...

BUT THEN IN THE 70S THE BEST STUFF WAS **ROCK**-- LED ZEP, FLOYD, THE WHOLE BUNCH....70S POP SUCKED....IE. BAY CITY ROLLERS, ET AL

BUT THEN IN THE 80S POP WAS GOOD AGAIN.

WHY WAS THAT

Interesting that "Remain in Light" is top 4 on both lists.  No disagreement here.  I bought it when it came out in 80 or so and played the hell out of it in college.  You know it is going to be special 5 seconds into the opening cut ("Born Under Punches").  For those that don't know it (and think of the Heads as punk rock or "new wave"), it is hardly either of those.  It is a mind-blowing mix of rock, funk and African influences (not to mention an occasional pre-techno blip and rap).  I would imagine many open-minded jazzheads would enjoy it too.  Brian Eno was all over this one, although it is nothing like Roxy Music.  You also get Adrian Belew's whacked out guitar snaking all over the place.

There is nothing like it on either the RS or the Pitchfork list, and while traces of "Remain" find their way on to "Speaking Tongues" (the "Burning Down the House" album), the Heads never created anything this wonderous before or after.

:tup  :tup  :tup

I agree. That album sounded really dynamic when it came out. It almost makes you wonder what could have happened if David Byrne didn't get sidetracked shortly after that trying to change his country of birth to Brazil.

I remember being in Berkeley during the Remain in Light tour. I was getting ready to take my new wife, who I had just brought to America from the Soviet Union to the concert. Then I noticed that Sonny Sitt was billed as playing in the cafeteria across the street. I thought, "she should really hear Stitt while she still can." So I took her to see Stitt. It was surreal. Stitt, the band, and about 10 of us sat up on the cafeteria tables. A huge crowd lined up for Talking Heads. Stitt didn't seem to be in great health, and he had a cigarette lit at all times. But he still dished up a good set of straight bop. One month later, he was dead.

My wife still can't believe that she missed the Remain in Light tour because of me.

Edited by John L