Could this be the fate of the new BNBB?

Ed S

Check out this link

Norah Jones Bulletin Board

Yikes :wacko:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing Norah. I think her CD is okay and she's certainly done a lot for Blue Note in terms of sales. I bought her disc for my wife and since all the hoopla has died down, I can actually sit through it and enjoy it without thinking that I'm gonna gag if I hear Don't Know Why one more time

But think back to the heydey of the BNBB - the political and religious fights, the nearly naked women. Then check out some of the posts on this board. You just had to figure that some of these posters - and many appear to be VERY young - must have sampled the Blue Note Board at some point. I wonder what their moms and dads thought of the old BNBB? :winky:

DAMN!!!! Read this baby and know it's going to appear on the new BNBB!

THIS MESSAGE BOARD MUST REFLECT AN ATTITUDE THAT COMPLIMENTS THE NORAH JONES BAND. All USERNAMES, articles, links, posts, graphics, etc. that do not compliment the artists, and purpose of the moderation team are subject to editing, and deletion at their discretion. Since minors min. age 13 are allowed to register, this Message Board will maintain a family friendly atmosphere. Character bashing of artists or other registered users will not be tolerated in a public setting which includes our Public Message Board Chat Room. All Forums will abide by this policy in addition to specific Forum Topic policies as applied by Administration. Off Topic Threads may be edited, deleted, or relocated (without notice) to appropriate Forum at the moderator's discretion.

What a joke. :wacko:

For those of you curious about the usage policy, here it is:

Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 8:08 am Post subject: Registration Terms rev. 5-14-03

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). You also agree not to connect or link this site in any way, to the above described materials, including the contents of signature files, avatars, & personal messages to other members.

THIS MESSAGE BOARD MUST REFLECT AN ATTITUDE THAT COMPLIMENTS THE NORAH JONES BAND. All USERNAMES, articles, links, posts, graphics, etc. that do not compliment the artists, and purpose of the moderation team are subject to editing, and deletion at their discretion. Since minors min. age 13 are allowed to register, this Message Board will maintain a family friendly atmosphere. Character bashing of artists or other registered users will not be tolerated in a public setting which includes our Public Message Board Chat Room. All Forums will abide by this policy in addition to specific Forum Topic policies as applied by Administration. Off Topic Threads may be edited, deleted, or relocated (without notice) to appropriate Forum at the moderator's discretion.

It's not that bad, you know? After all, it's a friendly family atmosphere. :rolleyes:

Wow, judging from the threads and posts I've just glaced at, for only like the last 15 minutes, Norah's primary fan base must skew REALLY female, and REALLY young, like high-school and college age. And housewives too, seemingly of the young variety.

Like this NorahBB thread: Soo, I was wondering what you all do for a living...

:blink::blink::blink:

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Gentlemen, the way forward is clear.

(1) join the norah board

(2) lavish praise on norah with tongue firmly in cheek (they can't ban irony, can they? uhhh, could be, they benned EVRYTHING over at the BNBB...)

(3) utilise the convenient private message system to make new friends among all those bored young housewives...

THIS MESSAGE BOARD MUST REFLECT AN ATTITUDE THAT COMPLIMENTS THE NORAH JONES BAND. All USERNAMES, articles, links, posts, graphics, etc. that do not compliment the artists, and purpose of the moderation team are subject to editing, and deletion at their discretion.

Funny thing is, somebody registered the username of “Norajonesucks.” The user has yet to post, but it looks like the administration’s net needs a little mending already. No, I didn’t register… I wanted to see if catesta had.

I know that this is disclosing far more than anyone here should know, but I swear - I only read a few posts on the norah board. It seems as if the official board is closed and the unofficial board is now the de-facto official board. I read it in the messages from Norah forum.

At any rate, I guess one of my points about starting this thread is that though we are seeing the zealots among Norah Jones fandom, it was seems reasonable to me that some of these same individuals - predominantly female and many apparently as young as 13 - who surfed the net for Norah Jones information and found the Blue Note site. They clicked on the link to the message board to read about their favorite artist and found a predominantly male jazz board with not too many nice things to say about their fave artist. In fact, they found in some cases some outright negative things which may have pissed them off. They, and perhaps their moms and dads, probably also saw some of more sexually oriented comments and that probably pushed them to complain to Blue Note. Add in the pictures of women, the political and religious venom that was rampant in various forums, not to mention the CDR swapping that the folks at EMI observed when they visited the board as a result of all the complaints and that all adds up to a crackdown

All speculation on my part of course.

Gentlemen, the way forward is clear.

(1) join the norah board

(2) lavish praise on norah with tongue firmly in cheek (they can't ban irony, can they? uhhh, could be, they benned EVRYTHING over at the BNBB...)

(3) utilise the convenient private message system to make new friends among all those bored young housewives...

You could very well be on to something there David. One might be able to have a field day using some tongue in cheek irony and some not too overt sarcasm. :wacko::excited:

As to the third point, any of you looking to make new friends - make sure you verify ages before swooping in on any suspected bored young housewives. ;) Better to be safe than sorry I always say.

Stear clear of any posters who repeatedly use adjectives such as

• neat
  • cool
  • sweet
  • great
  • super-great

or whose posts contain repeated and aparrently superfluous uses of the word like.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Another reason I posted the link is because I found the board to be both hilarious and sad at the same time. Look at some of the threads - Songs Norah Should Cover, Messages to Norah, LET'S MAKE THIS A FORUM NORAH & BAND CAN'T WAIT TO READ!, HOW LONG SINCE YOU DISCOVERED NORAH?, How did you discover Norah jones?. Yikes :wacko: I don't think that I could make stuff up this funny.

I wonder if they'll let me start a Norah's favorite color thread or a What do you think that Norah is thinking about thread?

I am utterly speechless after glancing at Norah's board.

BTW, y'all didn't notice Norah's message to her "peeps":

hellooooo people!

hope that you guys are doing well. I've been kind of out of the loop for the past few months so I thought I'd check in.

i guess some of you came here from the message board on my site? I'm sorry to say that I don't think that will be coming back. Lee doesn't have time to moderate it, and since these guys are doing such a great job, and it's pretty much the same format, i think its better to just have one.

We'll be checking in here when we can.

We're playing for the Tribeca Film Festival tonight in Battery Park. We did the rehearsal last night, and it felt great for the band to play again. The set is beautiful. I can't wait to see The ROOTs play tonight also!

We did some recording for our new album last month. i think that we got about 6 good songs. We're gonna finish it in the fall after the summer tour and then put it out in February. Its so fun to record. the band sound great. We need a good band name.........it's a lot harder to come up with than I thought. We're gonna try a few different ones out this summer on the audiences........We can't wait to get back on tour.

this summer for the first three weeks our special guest will be Gillian Welch! We're very excited! She is so GREAT! then we'll have our dear friend Richard Julian as our special guest for the rest of the tour. He's got some beautiful new songs.

My friend Jesse Harris' new album comes out this month. you guys should check him out if you haven't. (jesseharrismusic.com) (he wrote 5 songs on my album and we used to play together a lot.) His band is amazing.........

anyways, that's all my news. just been hangin out at home listening to the new lucinda williams record. (Awesome!)

Hope you are all safe and warm.

Norah

Notice that she says this i guess some of you came here from the message board on my site? I'm sorry to say that I don't think that will be coming back. Lee doesn't have time to moderate it, and since these guys are doing such a great job, and it's pretty much the same format, i think its better to just have one.

We'll be checking in here when we can. so its clear that this is less and less of an "unofficial" Norah board.

All of this simply shows just how far afield BN went to sign her. I don't deny her talent and I don't denigrate her success, but, Jesus Christ, what does it say about her music to see who her biggest, most devoted fans are?

I found out about this forum though the Norah Jones Board @ norahjones.net. Yep, it's a scary place, the post I saw by "Ornette" about this thread is already deleted after only a few hours.

What ever. Not my kind of crowd anyway.

dB

Guest Chaney

Actual Unofficially Norah Jones forum heading:

Write Norah

Got something you'd like to say to Norah? Say it here! You can post a new message, but you can't reply on Norah's behalf anymore! Read policy update 5-14-03.

As long as it keeps the kiddies off the streets and out of trouble, what the heck.

I wonder when the usual scolding for this Norah thread begins?

5... 4... 3... 2... 1...

Big ears people! Gotta have big ears!

:rolleyes:

I found out about this forum though the Norah Jones Board @ norahjones.net. Yep, it's a scary place, the post I saw by "Ornette" about this thread is already deleted after only a few hours.

What ever. Not my kind of crowd anyway.

dB

Looks like we pulled you outta there just in time! ;)