Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Okay, so I've kvetched about a million and one things but here are some things that make me sigh and feel fortunate to be alive right now.

The sounds, or lack thereof, of early morning before people wake up and start moving about. This is my favorite time of day.

Sitting in the shade in San Jose for the Saturday line-up of the jazz festival. Just sitting listening to Steve Turre, not having to make a decision about anything, eyes half closed. I remember thinking how lucky I was to be able to do that and how good it felt.

Surfing the radio FM dial and catching Billy Stewart on the oldies channel.

Chocolate Fantasy and Raspberry Marble ice-creams from Tuckers in Alameda.

Winter light. I love the long shadows and how things look golden almost all day long. And how clear the skies are.

Spending time with my godchildren.

Going out for drinks with my boss and co-workers. I work with some truly wonderful people whose company I really enjoy.

Laughing at something so hard I cry. Gad, I love a good laugh.

Dinner for Five on the Independent Film Channel. The best talk show on TV.

Sitting at the bar at Yoshi's eating dinner before the show while reading or chatting up friends who stop by to say hello.

Carmel, California. Spectacularly beautiful and absolutely my favorite place to vacation.

Edited by RainyDay

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My Favorite Things

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens

Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens

Brown paper packages tied up with strings

These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels

Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles

Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes

Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes

Silver white winters that melt into springs

When the dog bites

When the bee stings

When I'm feeling sad

I simply remember my favorite things

And then I don't feel so bad.

Being with my wife Helen. I'm so glad I have a partner in my life like her. It transformed my life!

My cat Marge. . . often the real mistress of the house. A domineering yet gentle tyrant of a tortoiseshell.

My wonderful Decware stereo system and my collection of recordings, in conjunction with my collection of books.

Ruta Maya Medium Roast coffee, organic coffee from a small group of Mexico farmers, roasted here in Austin.

One day I hope to put "what I do for a living" on this list, but not today.

Anything good that happened once and happens again.

Anything not good that never happens again, or at least not repeatedly.

Anythng good that only happens once and is not replaced by something not so good.

Anything not so good that is the best that it's going to be.

Specifics on all the above are too numerous to list.

I'm easily pleased, I guess.

Long drives on the highway, blastin' my favorite tunes.

CD Source in north Dallas.

Playing bass in my church's band.

Finding out the church organist is a Benny Golson fan, who wants to do a recital of Golson's music in a piano-trio format (and I get to play bass on that, too!)

Reading the words "Carmel, California" (and being reminded that it's been over 25 years since I've been there) and remembering one of the happiest vacations of my life. Maybe that's where I'll take my wife for our honeymoon!

Bill Evans playing "Elsa"

Johnny Hodges with Billy Strayhorn and THE Orchestra

Creedence Clearwater Revival

My 8-year-old son, who keeps me young in ways I never imagined, who comes up with lines like this: at football practice yesterday, the coach threw the ball way over another kids head, and my son looked at him & said, "What're they puttin' in the milk YOU'RE drinkin'?"

Maggie Moo's Ice Cream, especially when they have chocalate amaretto!

My chili

Chris Moore books

Pepsiâ„¢

People like Rainy Day who start threads like this. I'd hug ya if you were here right now!

The Harmonic series, Harry Partch, Terry Riley, La Monte Young, Ellen Fullman, Phill Niblock, Rod Poole, Kraig Grady, Hindustani Classical Music, David Hykes, Hariprasad Chaurasia, the Master Musicans of Jajouka, Mamoru Fujieda, Michael Harrison, Steve Gorn, the Deep Listeing Band, Harry Bertoia, Brij Bhushan Kabra, Kamalesh Maitra, Sounds of North American Tree Frogs, Wendy Carlos, Tantras of Gyütö, Tuvan Throat Singing, Paul Pena, Jim Cole and Spectral Voices, Pandit Pran Nath, Debashis Bhattacharya, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt, Jeff Beck, Jimi Hendrix and Pythagoras..