Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the sun rises, the sun sets, evening star, morning star, the other stars in the sky, Fripp and Eno, trees, clean air, God in a door knob, Organissimo forum, Frank Zappa, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, air conditioning, NYC, LA, DMG, God is my car...

Boston in September

Miami in April

really cheap Mexican food

really cheap Indian food

good food, period

being 22 and not having to worry too much about the effects of all that food

Anchor Steam beer

misty nights

Santa Cruz, California

the feeling after a really good swimming workout

hanging out with my grandparents

planting trees in the backyard at home, even if there are rocks underground that make it a pain in the ass

the 12 bar blues, nice and slow

softball in the spring

reading any really good writer

crossword puzzles

a good conversation

the feeling of satisfaction i had when i fixed the refrigerator myself

riding on trains

Trains! How could I forget trains? I'm a train nut. My boss has annual potlucks at his house where he invites all us foamers to show our slides from chasing trains around the world. I love riding them, talking about them, looking underneath them, etc. My grandfather used to work the railroad and I could ride for free when I was a little girl. All the porters and kitchen personnel treated me like a little princess. Yeah, trains.

Trains!!! Yes!!!

Finding out the reissue of The Name of This Band is Talking Heads will have my favorite Heads song on it ("Found a Job") and then finding out it KICKS ASS even more than I'd hoped!!!! (The rest of the disc ain't so bad either!)

Rainy Sunday afternoons

Christmas morning

Christmas eve

My little bubba at church who is only two, learning to talk, and when his dad brings him back from the nursery before communion will break the silence with "HI OWL!!! DRUMS???"

Central Market

Live theater, participating in and watching.

Joe Walsh's But Seriously, Folks

Looking forward to my wife returning next Monday from Santa Fe where she's been since the middle of June, doing her Opera gig. She has the dog with her, so it's pretty damn quiet around here, which was fun for about a day or two. Then it officially became a drag. Plus my schedule prevented me from going out to visit her this summer, so I was deprived of both companionship (and all its perks ;) ) as well as my Santa Fe culinary tour.

Yesterday was her birthday and today is our anniversary, so you can bet I'd better not f*ck up and forget THOSE two days! :huh:

Being with my wife and dog is about my best ahhhhhhhhhhhh...... :g

Regarding trains, My dad was big into model railroading and loved to take road trips to see the real thing. I remember many times driving for hours to a remote location with a kick-ass view of the passing trains. You'd hear the whistle from far off as the train approached- it was like that feeling of anticipation when climbing the big hill on a roller coaster. Sometimes we'd get really close, too; that low-end thunder of a passing train is a real rush, as well as the rhythmic sound of the wheels going over the tracks. What was that Weather Report tune, Cannonball? Off Black Market, I believe.

On our family vacations we would always make little side trips to see train action. One particularly fun trip was when we stopped at Horseshoe Curve near Scranton, PA. That was an amazing view.

We also took trips on the trains. One of the coolest things ever was eating breakfast in the dining car. The food always tasted better, just like a dog at the ballpark. Somehow the waiters were always able to pour coffee, etc. without spilling a drop. Chops!

I also like how some of the train whistles spell out some very hip harmonies...I once heard a Maj. 7 chord w/a flat 5th, another time a minor triad w/a Maj 7th. Makes you want to write a tune!

Thinking about trains really brings back some memories...........

Edited by Free For All

Getting a seat on BART in the morning.   

Do people give up their seats these days? I hope so. That and holding doors open, which I try to do for ANYONE, male or female. I always feel better when someone does a little courteous act for me (and knowing that I try to do it for others)- it gives me a little hope for our society. Yes, it's fairly insignificant, but for some reason it helps a bit.

Regarding trains, My dad was big into model railroading and loved to take road trips to see the real thing. I remember many times driving for hours to a remote location with a kick-ass view of the passing trains. You'd hear the whistle from far off as the train approached- it was like that feeling of anticipation when climbing the big hill on a roller coaster. Sometimes we'd get really close, too; that low-end thunder of a passing train is a real rush, as well as the rhythmic sound of the wheels going over the tracks. What was that Weather Report tune, Cannonball? Off Black Market, I believe.

On our family vacations we would always make little side trips to see train action. One particularly fun trip was when we stopped at Horseshoe Curve near Scranton, PA. That was an amazing view.

We also took trips on the trains. One of the coolest things ever was eating breakfast in the dining car. The food always tasted better, just like a dog at the ballpark. Somehow the waiters were always able to pour coffee, etc. without spilling a drop. Chops!

I also like how some of the train whistles spell out some very hip harmonies...I once heard a Maj. 7 chord w/a flat 5th, another time a minor triad w/a Maj 7th. Makes you want to write a tune!

Thinking about trains really brings back some memories...........

When I stayed over at my great aunt and uncle's house as a little girl, he would take the cousins down to the Willamette River so we could watch the 9:00 PM train go by and wave at the crew.

But my best train experience was taking Amtrak from Oakland to New York. I stopped over in Denver to visit friends and stopped over in Chicago to see the sights. It was an incredible trip. I woke up the first morning and opened the shade and there was the Great Salt Lake. When you first see Denver, you are up around 10,000 feet and all you see is a small cluster of lights. Going through the Rockies was spectacular.

that low-end thunder of a passing train is a real rush, as well as the rhythmic sound of the wheels going over the tracks.

Every now & then, if timed properly, you can drive next to a train while driving down Division Street thru Grand Prairie into Arlington and enjoy that rhythm!

Ahhhhhh indeed!

Speaking of fond train memories, when I was little, my dad used to drive me to the train yard to watch the trains go by. We'd wait around and if none went by, we just figured the trains had already gone to sleep and we'd try it again the next night.

The sweet irony is, 30 years later, I work right by that train yard.

Thanks dad! :tup:)

Before they relocated it and turned it into Fort Knox, I'd sneak into the old Southern Pacific yard with my camera and take pictures. No one ever kicked me out. They'd point out the mainline and tell me not to go there and then leave me alone.

In Oakland, the train tracks go right through Jack London Square, which is on the waterfront and is a shopping, dining, entertainment area. Yoshi's is right next to the right of way. The trains share the street with cars so they go pretty slowly through there. If you are in Yoshi's, the club not the restaurant, you will never hear the train whistle or the sound of the wheels on the tracks, but all of a sudden, there will be this vibration and you know a train is going by. It adds a particular charm to hearing jazz. Two of my favorite things, trains and jazz. Wild.

Getting a seat on BART in the morning.   

Do people give up their seats these days? I hope so. That and holding doors open, which I try to do for ANYONE, male or female. I always feel better when someone does a little courteous act for me (and knowing that I try to do it for others)- it gives me a little hope for our society. Yes, it's fairly insignificant, but for some reason it helps a bit.

Generally, no. I'm not old or frail enough. :P Every now and then some nice young man will give me his seat. I did see a parent make their kid stand up for a senior the other day. That's pretty rare too.

By the way, you know that red-haired girl from Oakland who spoke at the Democratic Convention? She and her mother sat across from me on BART the other day. Cute kid, even if she kicked the mess out of me and never said excuse me. B-)

My girlfriend, my parents, my sister.

"A Love Supreme" & "Crescent"

The smell of a forest after the rain. Sun rays shining through trees in a forest.

Mingus, Monk, Trane, Miles, Dolphy, Ayler, Duke, Prez, Basie.

Abdullah Ibrahim.

A sky full of stars at night.

Fresh air.

Rush hour, watching people, slendering around aimlessly.

Luis Buñuel. Jean-Luc Godard. Michelangelo Antonioni. Federico Fellini.

Howard Hawks. John Ford. Billy Wilder. Joseph Mankiewicz.

Sergej Eisenstein. Boris Barnet.

Martin Scorsese. John Cassavetes. Stanley Kubrick.

Jean Renoir.

Isabelle Huppert, Sandrine Bonnaire, Lauren Bacall, Marcello Mastroianni, Sophia Loren, Humphrey Bogart, Paul Newman, Marlon Brando, Sterling Hayden, Michel Piccoli, Emmanuelle Béart, Jeanne Moreau, Charlotte Rampling, Catherine Deneuve.

Monica Vitti.

"A bout de souffle," "Le mépris," "La notte," "L'eclisse," "L'année dernière à Marienbad," "Staschje," "Mean Streets."

Cézanne, Picasso, Paul Klee. Klimt, Schiele.

Arthur Schnitzler, Hugo von Hofmannsthal, Rilke. Hölderlin?

Jarry, Ball, Arp, Hausmann, Huelsenbeck, Schwitters, Man Ray, Duchamp.

Sun.