Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Watersons

WatersonsGreen200.gif

I know...they look like Yorkshire farmers whose sheep have all just expired from foot and mouth but they are one of the jewels of English music.

I've been playing them alot whilst slowly turning my garden from the Somme into something acceptable.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

Good topic!!

The smell of rain in the air.

The Fall. When the trees are bright shades of golds, reds, browns, orange, magentas. Ahhhhh!!!

Live jazz!

A good cup of hot tea.

A cold rainy day, the window slightly ajar, a good book, and jazz in the background.

The slow movement of Vaughan Williams Fifth Symphony!

What about "The Lark Ascending"? The Dance Theater of Harlem does an exquisite classical dance piece to this music. I bought a St. Martin in the Fields CD of Williams' music that included this piece. Such a lovely song, honestly, it brings tears to my eyes to hear it.

The slow movement of Vaughan Williams Fifth Symphony!

What about "The Lark Ascending"? The Dance Theater of Harlem does an exquisite classical dance piece to this music. I bought a St. Martin in the Fields CD of Williams' music that included this piece. Such a lovely song, honestly, it brings tears to my eyes to hear it.

Yes, 'The Lark Ascending' is a glorious piece, a musical encapsulation of the English countryside.

Another beauty is VWs 'Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis' - lump in throat music!

Actually early 20thC English classical music in general - VW, Delius, Holst, Bridge, Moeran, Bax, Butterworth and all the rest - makes me weak at the knees.

George Butterworth's 'A Shropshire Lad' is another spinetingler, made more poignant by the knowledge that he died on the Somme in 1916 before his career had really started. His name is on the Thiepval Memorial near Albert.

Thiepval%20(CWGC%20pic).jpg

VWs Third Symphony is another stunner. He served in the ambulance corps in WWI. The symphony is called 'A Pastoral Symphony' but refers to the Western Front - there's a glorious passage where a bugle plays out over the orchestra, evoking a still moment in that dreadful war.

Edited by Bev Stapleton

The smell of rain in the air.

:tup

Come to England!

It's been raining all summer!

We're all building arks!

Jeez, I saw some tape on the news over the weekend of a colossal flood somewhere in England. There were torrents of water rushing through (and over!) a town nestled in a valley. I couldn't believe no one died.

Bev, please have one of those arks ready for me.

I would prefer light colors with a leather interior.

We've had something like only 3-4 inches of rain here all year.

I could use a change.

They announced on the news this morning that we're heading for the wettest August since records began.