Books on Led Zeppelin

HWright

I've been a fan of Led Zeppelin for many years. The only book on them I've ever read is "Hammer of the Gods." While I think it's an important and useful book, I've read it a hundred times and have been wondering lately if anything else has been written about them since that book came out. I did a search on amazon.com, but all I came up with was books about the group's partying and occult activities.

Is there anything else? I'd be especially interested in a critical biography...a book written by someone more interested in their music than in their personal lives. Is there such a thing out there?

I did a search on amazon.com, but all I came up with was books about the group's partying and occult activities.

I didn't know there WAS anything else-- seemed like that sort of thing kept the band fully occupied :lol:

On a more serious note, I'm not sure of any other book-length treatment; perhaps the best place to look would be Reader's Guide to Periodicals, for magazine pieces about the band. Also, back issues of Rolling Stone magazine, or one of those books that consist of Rolling Stone commissioned essays, such as "Rolling Stone History of Rock and Roll."

I saw Zep back in very late 60s or early 70s. If memory serves (and it often doesn't), it was at the New York State Pavilion, at Flushing Meadow Park, in New York City. They were not top of the bill at that time. Either the Doors, Jose Feliciano, or The Chambers Brothers! If anyone can check that, I would appreciate it. I do remember the strong impact the band made.

Q Magazine put out a special Zeppelin issue last year which is lots of fun. It's packed with photos, information about each album...you name it. It has small reviews of a dozen books on Zeppelin.

It sounds like Chris Welch's Led Zeppelin: Dazed And Confused - The Stories Behind Every Song might be what you're looking for.

From Q's review:

"...but the book's greatest strength lies in refocusing familiar aspects of Zeppelin's story to the actual songs and recording sessions."

I haven't read it myself, but most of the other books listed tend to involve the stories of excess and the like.

Whe I was heavily into their music, I got hold of a CD size book detailing all of their albums up to that time (1994 ish) so it didn't have the BBC Sessions etc.

Anyway, this has been revised and redesigned by the same guy, Dave Lewis, who is I believe editor/ contributor ro the Led Zep fanzine 'Tight But Loose'.

It's here at this site, who ship worldwide.

You might get hold of a copy over there.

Best of luck.

• 10 years later...