Roy Haynes - Birds Of A Feather

May 31, Roy Haynes with Dave Holland, Kenny Garrett, Nicholas Payton and Dave Kikoski will be at the historic Pabst Theater in Milwaukee. I'm very excited since this will be my first real jazz concert. Hope it smokes, since I paid $70 a ticket for 2nd row seats! ouch!

When it's Haynes, it ROARS! That's a fantastic lineup. Let us know what you think post-event.

Roy Haynes IS DA MAN! He is, or is close to 80 now and still playin the way he does!! ... Must be an alien from the planet Groove..

He is always on and playin' great! First time I saw him was with Chick Corea and Miroslav Vitous in a ski resort in Traverse city of all places back in Dec 1982.

It should be great. I'd pay $70 for sure. How often do you get to see one of the legends?

Me too! I'd pay twice that amount! Roy Haynes, aka "Snap, Crackle, & Pop" has, and continues to be a great source of inspiration...

He was playing with a broader sense of independance, creativity, and polyrhythmic phrasing than most of the other drummers of the time going way back to the late 40's.

Listen to some of the recordings he played on with Bird. Even then he wasn't just playing 2 & 4 on the hihat!

He was playing with a broader sense of independance, creativity, and polyrhythmic phrasing than most of the other drummers of the time going way back to the late 40's.

Listen to some of the recordings he played on with Bird. Even then he wasn't just playing 2 & 4 on the hihat!

And don't forget the stuff w/ Pres on Savoy (new re-issue out last year of the Complete Savoy recordings), live and in the studio. Now that's some heavy shit!

• 2 weeks later...

What a great show it was! I would never guess in a million years that Roy is 77 years old! He is still going strong. The show started off with Roy receiving a plaque from a Milwaukee alderman proclaiming March 31 as Roy Haynes day. Roy accepted gracefully by telling about a conversation he had with someone about how they didn't think anyone in "Wesconsin" even knew what jazz was :g

Roy pounded on the skins for a solid 2 hours, this man has more energy than most people half his age! One cool part was when he finished one of his solos, he came up to the front mic and tapped a groovin tune on the mic with his hand, actually sounded great.

Aside from Roy, I think I was most impressed with Dave Kikoski on the Piano, he certainly was fun to watch. I think I might have to find some of his recordings. Dave Holland, Kenny Garrett and Nicholas Payton also put forth a very solid performance.

Roy mentioned that this was one of his last performances for awhile, but if he shows up in your part of the world, don't miss him!

Jacknife,

I'm a big Kikoski fan. Do yourself a favor and check him out. "Combinations", his most recent release on Criss Cross, is great. Also look for "The Five", which was recorded during a recent tour of Japan. Dave also plays on the two BeatleJazz albums, which are very accessable, but full of excellent playing. Great straight ahead stuff.

I recently learned that Kikoski has had very bad luck with his hands. He's broken both of them during the last several years, and has recently developed a case of tendonitis! In fact, he recorded the "Birds of a Feather" album with a broken left hand! Amazing to think that he could play like that with only one good hand!

I saw them last october in Madrid: Roy Haynes, Dave Kikoski, Christian McBride and Antonio Hart (in substitution of Kenny Garrett due to hand injury). No Nicholas Payton.

That was great! Antonio Hart was so inspired playing bebop, Kikoski showed why he´s one of the most underated pianists, McBride was brilliant, as usual, and Haynes was, well, was HAYNES.

It´s worth paying whatever they ask!