***Medeski Martin & Wood Corner***

Guy Berger

I'll disagree - they ARE a great band. None of the individuals involved are "great players", not as we commonly think of it, but the synergy is real. It's the collective vibe that gets me, not that of the individuals.

I'm very fond of TONIC, but I find that a lot of MMW fans aren't. Discuss?

I really like Tonic too. I only have that, Combustication, and the remix EP. The summer I bought Combustication it did not leave the car CD player.

For me some of Tonic falls flat, like on Buster Rides Again. But the heights they reach on Rise Up and Thaw more than make up for it.

I've got Friday Afternoon In The Universe, Shack Man, Combustication, and The Dropper. Yet to hear Tonic, I'm intrigued--is it that much different from their other material?

Noj,

'Tonic' is a live acoustic set. That aspect alone sets it apart from their other records, with the exception of their first which was also acoustic. 'Tonic' is probably my least listened to record of theirs. Will have to revisit it soon...

I've got nearly every release by MMW, except maybe their very most-recent one. As has already been said before -- great band, but the sum of the parts is greater than just the parts.

Medeski, in particular, is a guy who I can't -- for the life of me -- get into in terms of his solos. Especially when he plays piano.

But as a band, they can't be beat. I've heard them live about five or six times, including their all-acoustic tour (the one that generated Tonic). The grooves they cut are mega-deep, but what they each have to say as soloists is somewhat less interesting to me. But shit, those grooves are cavernous!!! -- even if they go on, and on, sometimes a bit longer than makes sense sometimes.

They're always solid "B+" material (never less, and sometimes "A-"), but I'm always left wishing they had more meat on the bone, as far as their soloing ability.

I'm another MMW fan who isn't quite sold on Tonic ... it's interesting (?) to compare that particular to CD to those of another modern piano trio -- The Bad Plus.

Medeski's organ playing really works for me, but listening to the BP's pianist shows what Medeski DOESN'T bring to the table as a piano player on this kind of stuff.

Did that make sense?

I love MMW's Bemsha Swing/Lively Up Yourself medley on It's a Jungle In Here ... I'm coincidentally listening to this disc right now.

I heard them at Tonic a year or two ago and once the sound man got their sound together, they were OK.

As I rode the train uptown, some kid said "wasn't that an amazing bass solo?".

Sorry, I don't think so. Not very focused, a little bit of this, a little bit of that. Not much of a statement.

Like Jim says, they are not the most skilled players individualy, but what they create as a whole is special.. I have everything they have put out since "Friday Afternoon in the Universe", and I like all of them, including "Tonic". Their most recent one, "Uninvisible" is really tight. I think I've seen them live about 5 or 6 times in the past 6 years. Always a good time.

c75334b7i0s.jpg

In some ways, my favorite WWM disc is their very first one ("Notes from the Underground" (Accurate, 1992), pictured above). Or at least it's the one MMW album with what I would actually called "focused" soloing (or maybe "meaningful" soloing, take your pick) --- especially when it comes to Medeski's solos, on piano in particular. So then, as far as his acoustic piano playing goes, for my taste he goes downhill after that first album.

In all fairness, he normally (by which I mean everything since that first MMW album)... Medeski normally plays the piano more like a pure percussion instrument. I'm not much on Cecil Taylor (sorry, I've tried, and it just doesn't work for me), and Medski's recent piano-work reminds me of Cecil a bit (piano as pure percussion).

That said, I do respect Medeski's piano playing (and Cecil's too). It's just that in both cases, I don't get it.

(All that said, I do own nearly the entire MMW catalog, and I've seen them live 5 or 6 times -- so obviously I do find something in their music, even if I find fault with them too.)

Ah, Rooster.... you brought up the percussive piano thing before I could! I was going to suggest that may be the reason you don't dig it. :)

The thing I like about the group is that they are completely unafraid and have created their own sound... something very hard to do. Medeski especially is instantly recognizable to me.

I like Uninvisible a lot. The new one sounds interesting and I'll pick it up for sure. I've seen them live two or three times. Always a fun time.

c75334b7i0s.jpg

I too love this record and thinks it will be the one that will go down as their most enduring. I'd love to see them come up with this type of album again with the organ at the helm.

It sounds as if from the samples on the Blue Note site that the new one will be more of same post Shack sound ... too much Kona Gold and Mona Lia Black - although Ribot on board again adds some nice color!

And now that Phish is gonzo, these guys are thee jamm band. And how did that ever come to be anywhoo??

Edited by Man with the Golden Arm

I've got nearly every release by MMW, except maybe their very most-recent one. As has already been said before -- great band, but the sum of the parts is greater than just the parts.

Medeski, in particular, is a guy who I can't -- for the life of me -- get into in terms of his solos. Especially when he plays piano.

But as a band, they can't be beat. I've heard them live about five or six times, including their all-acoustic tour (the one that generated Tonic). The grooves they cut are mega-deep, but what they each have to say as soloists is somewhat less interesting to me. But shit, those grooves are cavernous!!! -- even if they go on, and on, sometimes a bit longer than makes sense sometimes.

They're always solid "B+" material (never less, and sometimes "A-"), but I'm always left wishing they had more meat on the bone, as far as their soloing ability.

I was going to add my take, but Rooster pretty much covered it for me. Nicely said.

I'll second (or third...) the recommendation for Combustication. It is still my favorite album of theirs. I also highly recommend the Electric Tonic album that was mentioned earlier. I believe it is only available through their website, and is well worth seeking out. Another self-released album of theirs that seems to be OOP now is Farmer's Reserve. It is a completely improvised disc and a lot more "out" than most of their work. If you see a copy floating around used you should grab it.

Also, MMW allows taping of their shows, so trading for a few live sets or dowloading them from sharingthegroove (for example) would be a good, inexpensive way to start exploring more of their work.

Edited by John B

Another self-released album of theirs that seems to be OOP now is Farmer's Reserve. It is a completely improvised disc and a lot more "out" than most of their work. If you see a copy floating around used you should grab it.

I've got a copy of "Farmer's Reserve" that I'd be happy to trade to somebody. PM me if interested.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't have much interest at all in what MMW is doing, but I've enjoyed Medeski back from his days with the Either/Orchestra. I just spent the weekend checking out that stuff again. Some great playing there. He's on two E/O albums: The Half-Life Of Desire and The Calculus Of Pleasure. Also liked his stuff with the related projects - Ken Schaphorst big band, the Mandala Octet, etc.

I'd forgotten that he's on two early Christopher Hollyday albums I have. I'll have to pull those out sometime.

Mike

• 7 years later...

Not much action on this corner in a long time!

Anybody check out the newest live release, Medeski Scofield Martin Wood's "In Case the World Changes Its Mind"? Double disc set that's just $10 at Amazon right now. Covers tracks from both A Go Go and Out Louder. I haven't nabbed it yet, but plan to.

51YrPufkR8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Not much action on this corner in a long time!

Anybody check out the newest live release, Medeski Scofield Martin Wood's "In Case the World Changes Its Mind"? Double disc set that's just $10 at Amazon right now. Covers tracks from both A Go Go and Out Louder. I haven't nabbed it yet, but plan to.

51YrPufkR8L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I'm going to grab it from eMusic once my monthly refresh happens.