Happy birthday to Wayne Shorter

bertrand

Happy birthday Wayne !

Speak No Evil - was an enlightning discovery for me after which i started looking for everything he did as sideman and leader.

There are many aspects of this wonderfull artist to discuss about but the one of the biggest interest to me is his "forbidden albums".

I mean all the stuff he did just before entering weather report and in the eighties. Most jazz fans I know become sick when these mentioned but in my opinion they are just as great as his blue note classics. The "soprano albums" beginning from late sixties are true masterpieces in improvisation. Capricorn and Water Babies sound to me much better than the Miles Davis version. The eighties albums are less spontaneous but the compositions surely not worse, and sometimes better, than the blue note compositions. Electronics - that's what probably makes this discs undigestable to most of us but listen to the arrangments. They are like a maze (with lots of logic) for the listener.

Happy birthday to this great artist!

I was extremely impressed when Footprintslive came out! A very very daring concept of music, mastered with great results. Will spin Alegría again. Just got it, and was a bit underwhelmed, but then I think it's not one that jumps at you from the beginning.

ubu

Happy Birthday Wayne.

One of my favourites too, by coincidence my copy of Alegria arrived yesterday and I Look forward to listening to it soon. Hopefully, I will be able to catch Wayne, together with Hernie Hancock and others, at Tokyo Jazz on September 18.

TOP TEN LITTLE-KNOWN FACTS ABOUT WAYNE SHORTER

10 - His first name is really "Thewayon"!

9 - 3 time Newark Youth Mambo Champion (Pre-Teen Division)!

8 - Played every instrument on every Weather Report album!

7 - Conducted the orchestra for brother Parnell Shorter's 1961 Grammy Award winning album of Schubert lieder done in sign language for the hearing-impaired!

6 - Childhood sweetheart? Betsy Palmer!

5 - "Nefertitti" really based on changes to "How High The Moon"!

4 - Invented microwave popcorn!

3 - Directed the pilot of "Charlie's Angels"!

2 - Certified Electrolux Dealer!

And the Number One Little-Known Fact About Wayne Shorter........

1 - He's Ravi Shankar's daughter!