Sound quality on 2 Mosaic's

Having received the latest Mosaic catalog, I'm debating purchasing 2 Mosaic sets:

1) Complete Donald Byrd/Pepper Adams studio sessions.

2) Complete Lou Donaldson 1957-1960.

I have all but two of the albums in the first one, and all but one in the second. Nonetheless, I'd consider buying them if the sound quality is better than the JRVG's and TOJC's that I have comprising most of this stuff now. And I remember a lot of the names from the old BNBB, so I trust ya! :g

Any comments, pro or con, would be greatly appreciated! :lol:

Guest Mnytime

The Byrd/Pepper sounds fine to me and I don't believe I have heard any complaints about the Donaldson.

Of the most recent releases from the last 2-3 years the only two that I have heard anything negative about in terms of the sound are the Turrentine and Moncur.

The main benifit over the TOCJs and JRVGs would be the alt takes. The sound is not on the level of the TOCJs or JRVGs.

Edited by Mnytime

Thanks all!

I ordered the Byrd/Adams today, based on commentary here and the fact that this gives me two Byrd/Adams albums I didn't have, plus I heard the JRVG of Off To The Races I have is horrible!

Donaldson I will hold off on for now, would like to see Blues Walk RVG'd but I'm not going to spend $96 for that and Midnight Sun,essentially... B)

What, in particular, is unsavory about the sound of the Turrentine Mosaic? I haven't picked this one up yet (due to, in part, having some of the music on separate discs), and would like to hear a few more pro's/con's about the sound. I'm sure the music itself is fantastic.

The music is fantastic. My favorite may actually be the unreleased session!

The sound. . . well some of the set sounds better than other parts, but there is too much of the McMaster trebly signature for my tastes on more than half the discs.

I agree with Lon (that is, if he's referring to the Turrentine). The first two (of the five) discs are the worst - they are noticably more trebly than the final three. Not unlistenable by any means, and I'm not sure i would have noticed if it wasn't pointed out to me, but the difference is clear.

Ray

• 2 months later...

I like the sound on the Byrd/Adams Mosaic. I don't recall it having any alt. takes, though it does have an "LT" session that would not be available as a TOCJ or JRVG. They laid an egg with the first session, though, and issued a mono version. I have the JRVG, which is stereo, which is slightly odd, because Rudy is known to prefer the mono versions of the Hackensack recordings. Dave, I don't think you will be disappointed with that Mosaic.

The first three sessions on the Turrentine Mosaic stink. They are far too loud and trebly. I'm glad to have TOCJ versions of most of them, though one of those is also a McMaster; even though it is, it still sounds better than the Mosaic. I sold that set quickly.

If you haven't spent over $10,000 on your sound system, buy the music you want. If you have a +$10,000 system your priority is probably not music. Please explain why people should spend more money to get shitty sound from cds they love.

My reason for being involved in the music biz was to spread the joy, not bitch. Hardware salesmen are "something else".