Stephane Grappelli, any thoughts on him?

Hardbopjazz

I can't emphasize this enough. Pick up the 79' session Young Django. Grappelli is backed by Philip Catherine and Larry Coryell on guitars, and NHOP on bass. Grappelli is in very fine form. Catherine and Coryell play beautifully, both individually and collectively. Of course NHOP is impeccable.

This sounds like a record I need to hear, I've been on a big Coryell kick for awhile and this combination intrigues me.

The times that I saw Grappelli live, he was always quite compelling as a soloist, I thought.

I really like this album:

MGRAPPSATIN1.jpg

I think that Grappelli fits in well with Eddy Louiss' organ and Kenny Clarke's drumming on this album.

I also like this album, and it may be a surprise to some as to how well Grappelli holds his own with Ponty. This is a blowing session, not a fusion excursion:

h41439rdrg2.jpg

Edited by Hot Ptah

My attitude about Grappelli depends a great deal on the other players on the recording.

Here are some CDs of his that I like.

Meets Earl Hines - Black Lion

Parisian Thoroughfare (with Roland Hanna, George Mraz, Mel Lewis) - Black Lion

& Michel Petrucciani - Dreyfus

& Stuff Smith - Stuff And Steff - Gitanes

& McCoy Tyner - One On One - Milestone

& Martial Solal - Happy Reunion - Owl

& Stuff Smith - Violins No End - Pablo

& Hank Jones - London Meeting - String

What do you think of the two Black Lion CDs with Barney Kessel? Kessel seems a strong enough voice to me.

I have heard one of them and didn't find it as appealing as the others I listed.

I do have and very much like the session with Gary Burton mentioned by others here.

I also have this one which is interesting for the comparison of 4 leading jazz violin players.

Violin Summit - MPS with Smith/Grappelli/Svend Asmusen/ and Ponty.

Svend Asmussen is a player worth hearing if you enjoy jazz violin.

These three are very tasty.

Svend Asmussen - June Night - Signature

Svend Asmussen - Prize Winners - Music mecca (w. Kenny Drew, NHOP, Ed Thigpen)

John Lewis & Svend Asmussen - European Encounter

I almost forgot this one.

Duke Ellington - Jazz Violin Session - Wounded Bird

with Grappelli, Ray Nance, Svend Asmussen

He projected an incredible joy in his playing, pure efffortless swing; I thought he was wonderful, both times I was able to see him live.

I saw him once live and I really enjoyed it, though he did play piano for a couple of numbers and IMHO not very well.

I can't emphasize this enough. Pick up the 79' session Young Django. Grappelli is backed by Philip Catherine and Larry Coryell on guitars, and NHOP on bass. Grappelli is in very fine form. Catherine and Coryell play beautifully, both individually and collectively. Of course NHOP is impeccable.

This sounds like a record I need to hear, I've been on a big Coryell kick for awhile and this combination intrigues me.

Coryell is wonderful! I don't think I've ever heard him play better in straight ahead jazz setting. Clearly he's inspired by Grappelli and Catherine. Also, if your not familiar with Philip Catherine your really in for a treat.

• 9 years later...