What non-music magazines do you subscribe to??

First off --- does anybody here subscribe to The Columbia Journalism Review?? I've been reading their stuff on-line, off and on, for the last couple months -- and I'm kinda thinking of subscribing, and getting the print-edition (6 issues a year). Anybody else here subscribe to the CJR?? Is it worth it??

I used to be a subscriber to Brill's Content -- and I really loved reading it, cover to cover --- first when it was monthly, then (quickly) 10 issues a year, then 8, then 6 (I lost track -- all that happened in the space of like 18 months), then el-foldo. :(

Then we got Mother Jones for a short while, for 'free' from the Brill's people --- as their way of covering the rest of our unfulfilled Brill's subscription --- but I never could get into Mother Jones nearly as much as Brill's.)

My wife subscribes to TIME, and I usually read it, though often I find myself just skimming through it quickly.

We also get a magazine every other month through our church (we're Unitarian Universalists, or "UU" for short), and I usually find a number of things to like there...

cover.jpgcover.jpgcover.jpg

(By the way, here's a LINK to the "Jazz Theology" article, which was a cover story last year.)

What do you get in your mail-box, or on the newsstand (frequently, or semi-frequently), that's worth your time???

Edited by Rooster_Ties

Can't help on the Columbia Journalism Review, but I bet it would be interesting and worth a try if you have the $$.

I used to get a bunch, but now I get three magazines:

1) The New York Review of Books, 2)Shambhala Sun (a Buddhist magazine), and 3) I also get their Buddhist practice quarterly but I can't remember its exact name! I think it's called Buddhist Practice or something like that.

I used to get some audiophile magazines, like The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, but I found that I really didn't keep reading the detailed reviews of the equipment. I did like their album reviews though.

Only the New Yorker. After much hemming and hawing, I finally let my subscriptions to Downbeat and Jazz Times lapse. I'm like WD45, only time for one magazine, the newspaper and whatever books I happen to be reading. Sometimes it's even hard to get through the New Yorker. I look forward to their two week issues so I can catch up. Uniformly good writing, especially the occasional pieces by Roger Angell.

Up over and out.

TIME, Rolling Stone, and Governing, which is an excellent analysis of various kinds of local and state government policies and is very user friendly to people who don't deal with government on a professional level. I used to subscribe to more mags but delivery of magazines is a real problem in Oakland.

I don't get too many magazines anymore, as it was cutting into my book-reading time.

I get Smithsonian, which is always a good read.

I get Chess, which is a pretty worthless magazine you get as a USCF membership.

And that's about it.

I get the Economist on and off whenever I can afford the $95/year subscription price. This is a truly outstanding magazine, and I wish I could afford both the $ and the time to get it.

I used to get Details, back when it was the GQ of Gen-X. I could be dapper, get decent articles about a multitude of things, it was a great magazine. Then it tried to be the new Maxim, and intelligent hipsters throughout the world lose out.

I used to get the UTNE Reader, and to tell you truth, I have yet to figure out why. Good reading, though. If nothing else, I was always engaged, even if I ended up spending half of my reading time rolling my eyes.

The New Yorker, but only so long as they give me the "professional" discount.

The Economist. I'm not exactly sure I'd call it objective, but it is one of the few magazines to really take seriously global news, as well as provide interesting science stories and even art and literature reviews. Definitely worth checking out to escape the fishbowl effect of US media.

City and Community, the journal of the urban sociology section of the American Sociological Association (sort of a trade journal I guess).

For years I had a subscription to The Economist, but now I read most of my magazines from the library. Other big favorites include: Harper's, The New Yorker, The New York Review of Books. (Before it imploded in '91/92 I enjoyed Spy Magazine, but their brand of humor seems to have found a home in The Daily Show.) I occasionally glance at a huge number of magazines, but can't say I'm a regular reader of much more than the above.

(Before it imploded in '91/92 I enjoyed Spy Magazine, but their brand of humor seems to have found a home in The Daily Show.)

You sure this magazine died in 91/92?? I remember buying the issue with JFK Jr on the cover, I believe it was from 98, and I must have looked and looked and looked for the next issue for months, just thinking maybe it was being sold out before I had a chance to get it, before I realized it was no more. Too bad. Great magazine

I said imploded. It took longer to actually die. (Inprecise language on my part.) It limped along for awhile after '91, but it wasn't the magazine it used to be. For a few years there, though, it was really great. I heard rumors that as the funding went down, various writers from Spy scattered to the four winds, and it did seem that for the next few years I saw Spy-like articles and spoofs appearing in all sorts of publications.

Fields and Stream

Now there's a mag! Subscribed for about 15 years and have many happy memories of pouring through all the ads as a lad and ordering Havahart traps...and Jon-e Handwarmers (they still make those?)....and this & that lure (gimme those old classic Mepps spinners).

0781980_450_CC_2a85f.jpg

I get National Review, Foreign Affairs, New York Review of Books, National Geographic, Food & Wine, Traveler (a Nat. Geo. publication) and German Life (beer, heavy food & way cool pics of old castles :tup ).

I've pretty much eliminated magazines altogether, as I get enough of that "periodical" information online now.

Still get The Nation, Smart Money, Consumer Reports, Consumer Reports MoneyAdvisor and some magazines from Environmental groups like Audubon, Nature Conservancy, etc.

Oh, yeah......my girlfriend always passes on her copies of The New Yorker when she's finished. They tend to pile up and then I'll read a whole bunch at once.