Bruckner Symphonies

Having taking a cue from a post up above by Clem (I think) - I wonder if anyone else is into Bruckner? I think the symphonies are simply some of the finest in this genre. The 9th, to the extent that such a choice isn't competely meaningless, is possibly my favourite piece of music. Full stop.

Does anyone have any favoured recordings of the 9th? I'm partial to the Jochum, although I have a version with the Concertgebouw - could it be with Barenboim? I honestly can't remember off-hand - of which I'm also very fond.

My favorite Bruckners are:

Symphony No.2 in C minor

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra / Riccardo Chailly - Decca 436154

Symphony No.3 in D minor

Vienna Philharmonic / Bernard Haitink - Philips 422411

Symphony No.4 in E flat major

Vienna Philharmonic / Karl Böhm - Decca 289466

Philadelphia Orchestra / Wolfgang Sawallisch - EMI 55119

Berlin Philharmonic / Günter Wand - RCA 68839

Symphony No.5 in B flat major

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra / Riccardo Chailly - Decca 433819

Symphony No.6 in A major

New Philharmonia Orchestra / Otto Klemperer - EMI 67037

Symphony No.7 in E major

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra / Bernard Haitink - Philips 466580

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra / Bernard Haitink - Philips Dutch Masters, Vol.47, 462946

Berlin Philharmonic / Herbert von Karajan - EMI 66095

Symphony No.8 in C minor

Berlin Philharmonic / Herbert von Karajan - DG 439969

Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra / Bernard Haitink - Philips Dutch Masters, Vol.46, 462943

Vienna Philharmonic / Herbert von Karajan - DG 427611

Vienna Philharmonic / Bernard Haitink - Philips 446659

Berlin Philharmonic / Günter Wand - RCA 82866

Symphony No.9 in D minor

Columbia Symphony Orchestra / Bruno Walter - Sony 64483

Vienna Philharmonic / Carlo Maria Giulini - DG 427345

Berlin Philharmonic / Günter Wand - RCA 63244

Hans - that's really interesting you mention the Gunther Wand 9th - the first Bruckner I saw live was him conducting the ninth (prefaced by Schubert 8). Needless to say, it was something special.

Perhaps the Concertgebouw recording I was thinking of was Haitink... In any case, I think it is fantastic, except that I don't feel he gives enough time at the famous 'general pause' in the last movement. Just a personal thing, I guess.

Another thing I find with my Bruckner listening is that I tend always to favour the first recording I hear of the piece: perhaps it's just the way I listen, perhaps it's the music!

I love Bruckner. The 5th and 8th in particular. I'm not religious and deeply sceptical about the use of the word 'spiritual' when describing music but in Bruckner I think you can really hear the depth of the man's religious faith. He wrote the most breathtaking slow movements. And the the fugal ending to the 5th is magnificent.

A few years back I even called in at St Florian where he is buried whilst driving to Vienna. Beautiful spot.

I'm not religious and deeply sceptical about the use of the word 'spiritual' when describing music but in Bruckner I think you can really hear the depth of the man's religious faith.

Bev, I absolutely agree...

He wrote the most breathtaking slow movements. And the the fugal ending to the 5th is magnificent.

...and also with this. I could listen to the slow movements forever; real majesty, but also, so sincere. As for the ending to the 5th, again, total agreement. I saw this at the Proms a few years back, and to hear it live is quite something!

There's a lovely little descending melody on flutes about ten minutes into the first movement of the 5th that used to break my heart when I first heard it back in 1974. Perfect music for a romantic disappointment!

I find that one of the really fascinating things about Bruckner's music: that whilst it has such definite religious overtones, it also has its moments of unabashed romanticism (in Bruckner's own way).

In Bruckner, I'm a great fan of conductor Jascha Horenstein. He made relatively few commercial recording, but I've managed to collect Horenstein recordings of all of "the nine", and 2nd versions of 6, 8 and 9.

A release by BBC Legends contains 8 and 9 recorded in the '70s. The recording of 8 is one of the most powerful performances of anything I've heard. Not note perfect, and decent '70s broadcast sound, but amazing.

Though a completely different character, I also love the various recordings by Eugen Jochum. His 2nd series with Dresden is available in an inexpensive EMI box, but the DG series is good as well.

Once you have favorite versions of the symphonies, it is very worthwhile to check out the budget series on Naxos by George Tintner. Many times he uses different versions of the pieces, and the differences are sometimes amazing. Tintner was an excellent Brucknerian.

Guest Mnytime

A Cycle Box I would recommend of Bruckners Symphonies would be

Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra-Karajan DG 429 648

You should also know that every Symphony has at least 2 versions except for what are called the "0" and "00" Symphonies, which each only have one version.

Sympony No 1 in C minor (2 versions)

Symphony No.2 in C minor (1872 version)

National Symphony Orchestra of Ireland-Georg Tintner - Naxos 554006

Symphony No. 3 in D minor (1873 version)

Frankfurt Radio Orchestra-Eliahu Inbal - Teldec 14197

Symphony No.3 in D minor (1877 version)

Vienna Philharmonic / Bernard Haitink - Philips 422411

Symphony No. 3 in D minor (1899 Nowak version)

Vienna Philharmonic/Karl Boehm - Decca 448098 (Also includes the 4th Symphony)

Symphony No.4 in E flat major (3 versions of this one)

Symphony No.5 in B flat major (2 versions of this one)

Symphony No.6 in A major (2 versions)

Symphony No.7 in E major (2 versions)

Symphony No.8 in C minor (2 vesions)

Symphony No.9 in D minor ( 2 versions)

Edited by Mnytime

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Chuck, I must go back and listen to some of the Horenstein versions; I'm sure a have a handful of LPs of him. In fact, I was going to comment on this after your mention of Horenstein on the Bartok thread, but didn't for fear of taking it too far off-topic. A good thing I subsequently found your remarks here! On my first listening to the Horenstein, I didn't quite 'get' what he was doing; a very 'individual' interpretation of the music, for sure. Perhaps now I'm a little more open-minded (I hope) I should give them another listen, since they've been recommended to me a few times now.

Incidentally, has anyone heard a reconstruction of the fugue which supposedly was to form the final movement of the 9th?

• 4 years later...

Hans - that's really interesting you mention the Gunther Wand 9th - the first Bruckner I saw live was him conducting the ninth (prefaced by Schubert 8). Needless to say, it was something special.

Perhaps the Concertgebouw recording I was thinking of was Haitink... In any case, I think it is fantastic, except that I don't feel he gives enough time at the famous 'general pause' in the last movement. Just a personal thing, I guess.

Another thing I find with my Bruckner listening is that I tend always to favour the first recording I hear of the piece: perhaps it's just the way I listen, perhaps it's the music!

Actually, I've found that's very common with classical music in general, not just Bruckner. Often the first version I heard of a piece "imprinted" on my mind and no other could quite fit the bill.

• 2 years later...