Errol Garner: "Alexander's Ragtime Band"

Hi everyone,

in the beginning of the 80s, my dad sent me - I think it was - a 10- (or 5 or 7?) LP box published by Germany's weekly nespaper, "Die Zeit". They used to have a whole series of those boxes and my dad, living in South America at the time, mail-ordered those for me to be sent to my place in Germany, I taped them for him and then sent those tapes off across the pond.

Now, 2 of those boxes got lost somehow.

On one of them, I think it was just dedicated to piano music, there was a live recording of "Alexander's Ragtime Band" by Errol Garner.

I can't for the life of me find any CD with a live recording of that tune. It's one of my favourite ones, although some of you might call that version "kitschy". I'm doing some wild guessing here, but the recording was late Garner at some jazz festival.

Can anyone give me some hints or tips as to where I might find a release with this tune possibly on it?

It has to be a live recording.

Cheers!

P.S.: I know the Garner trio recorded a studio version of that (at least I think it is a a studio recording):

Title: The Most happy piano.

Published: [New York] : Columbia, [195-?]

Description: 1 sound disc : analog, 33 1/3 rpm ; 12 in.

LC Call No.: Columbia CL 939, M1366.G37 M6

Notes: Performed by the Erroll Garner Trio.

Girl of my dreams -- But not for me -- Passing through -- Time on my hands -- Alexander's ragtime band -- Full moon and empty arms -- Mambo 207 -- The way back blues -- Ol' man river.

Edited by deus62

• 10 years later...

A blast from the past.

Some members here might still remember me, but I cruise around here only sporadically today. I wanted to dig this thread up from the depths of bits & bytes hell to answer my own question.

Being the vintage HiFi geek I am (if it weighs more than 15 kilos and has shiny buttons to twirl, I start lusting for it), I recently bought myself a vintage record player that I am enjoying even more than I should. At some point I decided to re-buy a cheap copy of the above mentioned boxed LP set (or $5) to finally get hold of that one elusive tune I had stuck in my head.

Well (of course), it turned out to NOT be a live recording (...but I never really listened into (=actually bought) the one I myself suggested as an "alternative" above). Actually, "Alexander's Ragtime Band" came from the 1956 (1957) "The Most Happy Piano" LP and is, in fact, a studio recording.

Listening to it again today, it was the almost brutal room (hall) ambiance mixed into that session that at the time made me classify it as a live recording.
My bad.

Here's a link to the release:

http://www.discogs.com/Erroll-Garner-The-Most-Happy-Piano/release/2466788http://www.discogs.com/Erroll-Garner-The-Most-Happy-Piano/release/2466788

Just wanted to put this (personal) issue to rest once and for all, an issue that has been following me around (=haunting me) for much more than a decade.

Cheers!

Carry on ...

Edited by neveronfriday