Happy Birthday Lester Young

LAL

One of the greatest tenor sax players to ever walk the earth. My spirits are always uplifted when hearing Pres' music. What better way to spend the coming weekend than listening to the music from his Basie days right up to his Verve recordings.

:):party::party::party:

I have a friend who is 95 years old. We play on a bocce team once a week. The guy really doesn't seem 'that' old. Yeah, I know he's old but, he doesn't seem any older, to me, than, say, a 60 or a 70 year old.

My feelings about Lester Young are that he lived a LONG time ago and would be VERY old today. Then I think of my 95 year old friend and it puts Lester Young's life into a more realistic perspective.

Weird...Yesterday I had the urge to watch "Jammin' the Blues", which I had taped off of TCM a couple of years ago. I had practically forgotten about the tape and had to do a lot of rummaging around to find it. I love watching Lester play in "Jammin' the Blues". The porkpie hat, the way he held the sax, all the cigarette smoke...it all looks so cool on film. And knowing that his cool outward demeanor hid so much inner pain, it's all so sad. I had no idea it was Lester Young's birthday while I was watching.

Just picked up a nice used copy of YOU JUST FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFE a couple of days ago w/out realizing it was nearly his birthday... love you always, Prez.

Strange things happened to me, also, while listening all they to Pres (his live recordings), and only later realized it was his birthday.

• 3 years later...
  • 6 years later...

http://www.studentaffairs.columbia.edu/wkcr/story/lester-young-charlie-parker-birthday-celebration-august-27-29

Beginning Wednesday, August 27, WKCR will have a three-day festival dedicated to the music of tenor saxophonist Lester "Prez" Young, and alto saxophonist Charlie "Bird" Parker. The 27th marks Prez's birthday, and the 29th, Bird's. On Thursday, August 28th we will play both Prez and Bird interchangeably throughout the day.