Wes Montgomery session

Hardbopjazz

Can anyone tell me more about this session? Where was it recorded? I'm assuming it is live. I don't seem to have this one, but there is so many versions of his stuff out there, I don't want to end up with the same music. AMG has a date of Feb 12 and April 30th. I'm sure I have music from April 30th.

The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery [Definitive]

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Four tracks recorded at the Half Note in 1965 on February 12th with Mabern, Arthur Harper and Jimmy Lovelace.

Four tracks recroded in Germany on April 30th with Martial Solal, Michel Gaudry and Ronnie Stephenson (and Johnny Griffin on one track).

As far as I know, all previously unreleased, although I feel more certain that is the case for the US date.

Good sound, great playing by Wes.

I have this - a very strong buy :tup

Edited by Eric

As far as I know, all previously unreleased, although I feel more certain that is the case for the US date.

Incorrect. This stuff has been out for 10+ years on CD (Suisa and Philology). The Feb. 12th material (all but one track) was out on vinyl (Beppo) many years earlier. The date for the german recording has always been given as March 1965...

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/wes3.htm

Incorrect. This stuff has been out for 10+ years on CD (Suisa and Philology). The Feb. 12th material (all but one track) was out on vinyl (Beppo) many years earlier. The date for the german recording has always been given as March 1965...

http://www.gould68.freeserve.co.uk/wes3.htm

Thanks for the correction - I should have checked that site - a good one btw.

Turns out I have the German tunes on another CD ... :blink:

Eric, is it something other than the Suisa or the Philology? The Suisa disc ("Private Recordings & Rarities") only includes 4 tracks from the german session. I also bought the Philology ("Live In Europe"), which has (all?) 8 tracks.

Eric, is it something other than the Suisa or the Philology? The Suisa disc ("Private Recordings & Rarities") only includes 4 tracks from the german session. I also bought the Philology ("Live In Europe"), which has (all?) 8 tracks.

Jim,

OK, here is what I have:

The Definitive CD in question includes 4 tracks from Hamburg on 4/30/65:

Twisted Blues

Four on Six

Here's That Rainy Day

Blue Monk (with Johnny Griffin)

Sidemen are Michel Gaudry, Martial Solal and Ronnie Stephenson.

I also have a Philology CD (97-2, Wes Montgomery Live in Europe) that includes the same four tracks by the same personnel. The only difference is that the date given for these tracks is "probably March 1965". Timings are very similar, within a few seconds of each other. I also A-B'd them and believe they are the same performances.

Edited by Eric

This has been a good thread for me. I try to get all of the Wes Montgomery live recordings from this era that I can, but was not aware of these recordings in any format. It does get confusing with all of the repackaging!

I'll have to get this even if everyone else in the world (or at least on this thread) but me seems to have it!

Tom

I was able to land a copy of the full April 30th session. It includes the un-issued material. Wes isn't soloing on those numbers. This is probably why the tunes remained un-issued.

hbj, I don't follow you here. In what form did you get this session (a copy of the Philology CD... or something else)? How many tracks in all? Not sure what do you meant by "unissued" (8 tracks were issued by Philology in 1992)... unless you got ahold of a private tape with more than 8 tracks?

I still wonder about the date you're using (4/30/65) as given by Definitive. As I said above, this session has always been listed as March 1965. I'm not saying I know that to be accurate either, but when a dubious label like Definitive suddenly comes up with a new date for something, I'm going to assume that they're doing it to confuse people into thinking that this is brand new, previously unissued material.

These were the tracks I got. They are unedited. There is some idle talk between numbers. The preformace opens with the DJ, speaking in Germany, the tunes and the musiciands names. The unissued numbers, Wes is just comping cords, no soloing. Not sure if any are unissued. Since I am a big Wes nut, I thought I had tracked down all of this music from this date. But there are tracks I didn't have. If you like, PM me and I'll give you the e-mail of the source. It is listed in a different thread I listed. NDR

1. Blue graas (+Ansage) (Ross) (5:52) 2. Last of the wine (+Ansage HG) (Ross) (8:54) 3. Here's that rainy day (Burke-vanHeusen) (8:46) 4. He is gone (Koller) (5:48) 5. On green Dolphin Street (Washington-Kaper) (5:21)6. The leopard walks (Griffin) (7:25) 7. No summer, no winter (Koller) (5:13) 8. Stella by starlight (Washington-Young) (4:46) 9. Stephenson's rocket (Ross) (6:37) 10. Opening 2 (Solal) (5:37) 11. Four on six (+Ansage HG) (Montgomery) (6:48)

1. Blue Monk (Monk) (6:45) 2. No smoking (Solal) (7:40) 3. We are standing alone (Koller) (4:47) 4. Blues up and down (Griffin) (4:26) 5. Twisted blues (Montgomery) (5:20) 6. West Coast blues (Montgomery) (6:20) 7. Blue grass (5:25) 8. On green Dolphin Street (5:00) 9. Blue Monk 5:55 10. Last of the wine 7:33 11. West Coast Blues (4:26)

Edited by Hardbopjazz

• 1 year later...

These were the tracks I got. They are unedited. There is some idle talk between numbers. The preformace opens with the DJ, speaking in Germany, the tunes and the musiciands names. The unissued numbers, Wes is just comping cords, no soloing. Not sure if any are unissued. Since I am a big Wes nut, I thought I had tracked down all of this music from this date. But there are tracks I didn't have. If you like, PM me and I'll give you the e-mail of the source. It is listed in a different thread I listed. NDR

1. Blue graas (+Ansage) (Ross) (5:52) 2. Last of the wine (+Ansage HG) (Ross) (8:54) 3. Here's that rainy day (Burke-vanHeusen) (8:46) 4. He is gone (Koller) (5:48) 5. On green Dolphin Street (Washington-Kaper) (5:21)6. The leopard walks (Griffin) (7:25) 7. No summer, no winter (Koller) (5:13) 8. Stella by starlight (Washington-Young) (4:46) 9. Stephenson's rocket (Ross) (6:37) 10. Opening 2 (Solal) (5:37) 11. Four on six (+Ansage HG) (Montgomery) (6:48)

1. Blue Monk (Monk) (6:45) 2. No smoking (Solal) (7:40) 3. We are standing alone (Koller) (4:47) 4. Blues up and down (Griffin) (4:26) 5. Twisted blues (Montgomery) (5:20) 6. West Coast blues (Montgomery) (6:20) 7. Blue grass (5:25) 8. On green Dolphin Street (5:00) 9. Blue Monk 5:55 10. Last of the wine 7:33 11. West Coast Blues (4:26)

I have seen many references to "Stephenson's Rocket" having been composed by Ronnie Ross and yet this states categorically that it was composed by Mike Carr.

"The group's first CD is out titled 'Stevenson's Rocket' by Mike Carr's Blue Note Band on Birdland MC502. Ten of the eleven tunes were written by Carr and the album takes its name from one of them. 'Stephenson's Rocket' was dedicated to the EmCee Five's original drummer, Ronnie Stephenson who, by a cruel twist of fate, died two days after the recording sessions."

Can anyone throw any light on this?

Edited by tooter

I have yet another LP issue of the Half Note material - will post details when I'm back home.

Wes Montgomery - Stretching out live in '65 - (no label) J 100

Montgomery - Mabern - Harper - Lovelace

Recorded live at the Half Note, 12 February 1965

Caravan 8:36

'Round Midnight 10:10

For On Six 10:33

Here's Thatb Rainy Day 7:19

(sorry for being so late with this!)

For Tooter

Stephenson's Rocket is indeed a Mike Carr composition.

It was first recoprded by the EMCEE FIVE, the band led by the Carr Brothers with Ronnie Stephenson on drums.

The first recording was in London Dec 14 1961 and can be found on this

474.gif

The Cd Tooter refers to was a later disc by a new Carr led band recorded in 2002 where they included and named the disc, after the tune.

The tune was obviously named after Ronnie who played on the original, but also was, as die hard "trainspotters" will know, a reference to the Robert Stephenson's Rocket.

Stephensons factory was a big employer in and around the Newcastle area.

I haven't heard the Motgomery didc but I assume the tune is the same.. unless of course Ross composed a different tune and was also a railway buff

exg15_1.JPG

For guitar addicts , the above disc also includes an early ( 1967) track of John McLaughlin playing with the Carr quartet at the New Orleans Jazz club in Newcastle

Edited by P.D.

I haven't heard the Motgomery didc but I assume the tune is the same.. unless of course Ross composed a different tune and was also a railway buff

I should have checked this long ago, but have now done so. Definitely different tunes - nothing like the same. Some amendments to do now. Thanks, P.D., for spurring me into action.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

is there any chance that someday we could see a "complete Wes Montgomery on Verve and on A&M" (since Universal owns A&M stuff too)???????

Miky

:w

Not a big fan of the A&M sides but BGO have just issued this

BGOCD718.jpg

I assume if it sells well, the other A&M will follow.

Edited by P.D.