Complete Argo/Mercury Art Farmer/Benny Golson/

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got the new disc 7 today AND new front tray liner for discs 3 & 4 that includes discography info for session F.

I received both today as well.

Hadn't realized there was a problem as I haven't gotten to the set yet. Received the replacements and quickly checked this thread to determine why.

Edited by dsgtrane

This is such a wonderful set!! Went right to near the top of my favorites list after the first listen. What really moved me was those Golson quartet sessions. Some absolutely heart-wrenching playing on these sides. Its really something how once you think you know about an artist, you'll discover something new that shows you never really knew thier work. Beautiful stuff.

Yes, I have the old Chess CD copy of FREE, but I'd never heard TURNING POINT before, and it's gorgeous.

Hadn't realized there was a problem as I haven't gotten to the set yet.  Received the replacements and quickly checked this thread to determine why.

same here, got it today :blink:

i´m considering this as an advance from my set that will arrive only in October :wub:

Marcus

ps: the sound is just wonderful!!! Addey for President!!!!

Edited by marcoliv

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting.....

When I saw on this thread that CD Universe had this set listed for $91, I put in an order just to see what would happen. I received a couple of order updates telling me that the set was backordered and fully expected that the order would get cancelled some time in the future in accordance with their policy.

Yesterday, I received an update that says the set will be available for shipping on October 18. When I use the link to the set, they do have it as available on the 18th, but with a price of $130. It also notes that the set is from Germany.

Does anyone know if this set is set for European release on the 18th? I'm guessing that is,as it appears that my order will be filled. As far as pricing, my open order still has the $91 price so I wonder if they will honor that. I think I will email them to find out.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

Interesting.....

When I saw on this thread that CD Universe had this set listed for $91, I put in an order just to see what would happen. I received a couple of order updates telling me that the set was backordered and fully expected that the order would get cancelled some time in the future in accordance with their policy.

Yesterday, I received an update that says the set will be available for shipping on October 18. When I use the link to the set, they do have it as available on the 18th, but with a price of $130. It also notes that the set is from Germany.

Does anyone know if this set is set for European release on the 18th? I'm guessing that is,as it appears that my order will be filled. As far as pricing, my open order still has the $91 price so I wonder if they will honor that. I think I will email them to find out.

I originally went that route too.....but after a series of unenthusiastic e-mails from them, I cancelled and picked up the Miles box instead. I wonder if those CDUNI sets will have the 'bum' disc in 'em?

From Mosaic today, in answer to my questions about the bad disc and replacement thereof:

We advised Verve of the issue and as far as we know, there should be no

problem. FYI - Verve presses its own CDs and does not order them through us

Edited by Ed Swinnich

From Mosaic today, in answer to my questions about the bad disc and replacement thereof:

We advised Verve of the issue and as far as we know, there should be no

problem. FYI - Verve presses its own CDs and does not order them through us

Thanks Ed, that's helpful.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked this up a few weeks ago and I'm totally amazed at how wonderful this set is. Art Farmer cooks throughout--based on my limited knowledge, I always assumed he was pretty mellow (maybe it was the flugelhorn and its connotations)...anyway, he's a true hard bopper--a lot of heat. Golson's arrangements :tup:tup And...top notch sound from Malcolm Addey (Addey's remastering of 'Here and Now', for instance, easily bests the Verve Elite edition from a few years ago). I'm only through the first three discs, so plenty more to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone else care to comment on the musical content of this set? Out of the 90 or so responses to this thread, about 5% have to do with the actual music. Who really cares what number set you got? Most people, I'd like to think, buy the sets for the music itself. Not having heard any of this material, myself, I'd like to hear some further opinions regarding the tunes, arrangements, solos, etc. Thanks in advance.

Wow - if you've *never* heard any of this music, you are in for a real treat. The Jazztet had a beautiful blend of wonderful composition and arranging from Golson (and John Lewis for one album), and a real group concept, not at all just a string of solos by interchangeable players. Not to say that there weren't strong soloists - Art Farmer, Curtis Fuller, McCoy Tyner, Cedar Walton, Grachan Moncur, Harold Mabern - man, everyone who went through the band.

This is a set that many of us lobbied for and patiently (or not so patiently) awaited. Now that it's here (and with the fixed disc), and includes not only the Jazztet albums, but ALSO the Golson and Farmer solo records (each of which has its own special personality), it is not to be missed.

You get the esoteric (some of those John Lewis things are out!) and the funky - I mean, Killer Joe, the *original* Killer Joe - with those memorable solos; the great version of I Remember Clifford; so many of the other beautiful Golson pieces (Out Of The Past, Park Avenue Petite, Blues March, Five Spot After Dark, Whisper Not, Along Came Betty, etc.) plus standards, compositions by other band members, a great mix.

Look, do you like hard bop? If so, do not hesitate on this. This band is right at the top of the heap.

Mike

I completely agree with the others. The Jazztet sessions (first 4 discs) reveal a certain refinement and inventiveness that is probably somewhat unique among Hard Bop groups. Also a nice surprise for me were the 2 discs devoted to the quartet sessions led separately by Farmer and Golson (1 CD/2 LP's each)--it's great music and compliments the Jazztet stuff very well. The first half of the 7th disc is Golson's LP "Take a Number from 1 to 10," an interesting concept with each track adding an additional instrument to the mix (starting with a solo track by Golson and ending with a 10-member group that includes Farmer), which I think also fits in well in this set. My only disappointment is the second half of Disc 7, which is an album of Art Farmer backed by an orchestra--nice playing by Farmer, but a bit incongruous with the small-group feel and inventiveness of the rest of the set. Still, on the whole it's a great set. :tup

Edited by Ron S

I had heard much of the music in this set before it was issued as such, but a lot via CD-Rs with only so-so sound...it's a fabulous collection, already has become one of my favorite Mosaics.

I personally love everything in it...including the Art Farmer date where he's backed by an orchestra (some tasty Oliver Nelson charts...well done). ART and PERCEPTION by Farmer and Golson's FREE and PICK A NUMBER... I would say these really are classics in their own right. The Jazztet stuff is of course staple material, any hard bop collection would be incomplete without it.

This is a real winner, the type of set that, even though it's large and may seem pricey, is a real bargain considering the notes, and the sound, and the fact that there's nothing less than great here, AND it's historically important. Get it.