Herbie Mann (and other jazz flute) recs, anyone?

Nutty

I love jazz featuring flute, and Herbie Mann's Flute Souffle is one of my favorite jazz recordings in general. I'd like to explore some more Mann albums, as well as some from other jazz flute players (flautists?).

The Mann albums I currently have are:

Herbie Mann Plays

Jazz Souffle

Sultry Serenade

Do The Bossa Nova/My Kinda Groove

Memphis Underground

Rahsaan Roland Kirk Albums I have:

Domino

Kirk in Copenhagen

Introducing Roland Kirk

I Talk to the Spirits

Oliver Nelson's Blues and the Abstract Truth

I have a CTI album that Hubert Laws plays flute on...either Straight Life or Red Clay, I can't remember which. I don't have any albums with Laws as leader, though.

Anyway, I appreciate album suggestions for any of these guys, as well as some from jazz flautists I might not be aware of. Thanks!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

f53403avu17.jpg

&

f54267d6pwk.jpg

I love these albums...LOVE them. VERY underrated.

Midnight Oil is primarily Richardson on flute (there is one track where he plays tenor) and it's a great record. There's a marvelous arrangement of Caravan on here. Interesting instrumental frontline as well: flute, trombone & guitar.

Roamin' With Richardson is even better, a GREAT record in my opinion. There is only 1 flute track (a beautiful version of Poinciana), but you also get Richardson on Tenor & Baritone. The real standout track here is his bari reading of Ellington's Warm Valley...and absolutely FLAWLESS performance...

If you like these, make sure to get all of the "Cookbook" albums with Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis & Shirley Scott. Richardson is on hand for all of these and primarily plays flute. Good groovin' stuff.

Here's the list:

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Cookbook Vol. 1

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Cookbook Vol. 2

Eddie "Lockjaw" Davis - Cookbook Vol. 3

Smokin'

If you like Flute Souffle, you'll also like Flute Flight, half of which was taken from the same recording session with Bobby Jaspar.

I recommend two other Herbie Mann albums - Standing Ovation at Newport and Monday Night at the Village Gate.

Speaking of Jaspar, you might like Phenil Isopropil Amine, which is OOP but available used from Amazon.

Moody. James Moody. Some of his best stuff - from the 70s - is out again in reuissue.

There's some nice Herbie Mann stuff that came out on Savoy - flute and tenor sax; The LP was entitled Be Bop Synthesis.

I also like flute (and tenor) man Sam Most. Check out his Bethelehem and Xanadu sides.

I have to whole heratedly agree with G A Russel on Herbie Mann, STANDING OVATION AT NEWPORT. Absolutely incredibile. After Ben Tucker joined him for "Comin' Home Baby', the crowd wouldn't let him go, so they did a few more minutes of the same thing. Fabulous!!!!!. That was recorded in 1965. Two years earlier was LIVE AT NEWPORT. This is another great Herbie Mann set. The flute playing and the excitement in both of these is incredible.

I bought them on vinyl years ago. I believe both have been reissued by an obscure (to me) outfit called Wounded Bird, of all things. They did (and hopefully still do) have a website, but I never happened to notice their CDs at the usual internet sites.

Of course the readily available on Atlantic, LIVE AT THE VILLAGE GATE is probably his best known among real jazz entusiasts, and it is great too.

Tom

Edited by blue-note-ojc

In my humble opinion, Roland Kirk was one of the great flute players. To be honest, I must tell you I am a RRK fan and I like almost everything he did but I understand you are familiar with him. Another great flute player is Buddy Collette. Also Joe Farrell and Paul Horn worth checking out their recordings.

Edited by B. Goren.

B00029MMAA.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Got this recent reissue a few weeks ago. Very very nice. Wess was maybe the first to bring the flute to the fore, while with Basie. On "Wheelin' and Dealin'", one of those Waldron-Prestige-jams (with Coltrane, Quinichette, Doug Watkins), Wess does some very nice flutin', too.

ubu

I would also give a strong recommendation to Mann's "Windows Open" and "Hold On, I'm Comin." And the original "Village Gate" is a classic, in its own way. Another good one is his first Newport album (available on "Wounded Bird"), the one that opens with "Soft Winds.". (The group includes Dave Pike, Atilla Zoller, and Don Friedman.)

• 16 years later...

Giving an old thread a "bump", so as to recommend Nicole Mitchell's brilliant Awakening (Delmark, 2011) to any other flute fiends out there.

I know Mitchell from various other settings, but this is her at her most mainstream, I suppose (so fewer nu-soul or AACM influences). It's something everyone can enjoy. 

Her flute playing is incredible on this album. Solos that are incredibly nimble but somehow have deep roots. 

7 hours ago, optatio said:

40033681jy.jpg

That's a lot less of a flute album than it's name suggests

56 minutes ago, felser said:

The Lloyd McNeill Quartet - Asha (Vinyl) | Discogs

The Lloyd McNeill Quartet | Washington Suite (New) – Tunnel Records + Beach  Goods

You beat me to it :D :tup

8 hours ago, Rabshakeh said:

Giving an old thread a "bump", so as to recommend Nicole Mitchell's brilliant Awakening (Delmark, 2011) to any other flute fiends out there.

I know Mitchell from various other settings, but this is her at her most mainstream, I suppose (so fewer nu-soul or AACM influences). It's something everyone can enjoy. 

Her flute playing is incredible on this album. Solos that are incredibly nimble but somehow have deep roots. 

That's a fine album.  In fact I could list ten or so of hers, in various sized bands, that are well worth trying.  Two of my favourites, very different from each other but both showing her complete facility with her instruments

R-7104644-1433832293-2948.jpeg.jpg

R-4445470-1408810989-8958.jpeg.jpg

I always loved Frank Strozier's flute solos on all of his albums. He kept the blues feeling intact and played great ideas, rather than just showing off his virtuosity.

He also didn't play just jive licks like Mann and Humphrey. Bobby Jaspar got a nice sound, although a little out of tune, but always fine solos.

Dick Morrissey played some great solos with If that were inspired by the great RRK.

5 minutes ago, sgcim said:

I always loved Frank Strozier's flute solos on all of his albums. He kept the blues feeling intact and played great ideas, rather than just showing off his virtuosity.

He also didn't play just jive licks like Mann and Humphrey. Bobby Jaspar got a nice sound, although a little out of tune, but always fine solos.

Dick Morrissey played some great solos with If that were inspired by the great RRK.

I agree on Strozier and Jaspar. Any thoughts about Sam Most? I like the way he played on his Xanadu albums.

James Newton!

- Hidden Voices (India Navigation, 1979) - with Anthony Davis
- I've Known Rivers (Gramavision, 1982) - with Anthony Davis and Abdul Wadud
- James Newton (Gramavision, 1983)
- Luella (Gramavision, 1984)
- The African Flower (Blue Note, 1985)
- Water Mystery (Gramavision, 1986)
- Romance and Revolution (Blue Note, 1987)
- Trio² (Gramavision, 1989) - with Anthony Davis and Abdul Wadud

58 minutes ago, Larry Kart said:

Any thoughts about Sam Most? I like the way he played on his Xanadu albums.

Yes.  I think Sam Most is an excellent flautist, and those Xanadu LPs are uniformly strong. I like Flute Flight best.  :) 

Ken mentioned Jeremy Steig's Flute Fever with Denny Zeitlin.  I'd also recommend these:

- Wayfaring Stranger (Blue Note, 1970)
- Energy (Capitol, 1970)
- Leaving (Trio/Storyville, 1976) - with Richie Beirach
- Outlaws (Enja, 1976) - with Eddie Gómez
- Rain Forest (CMP, 1980) - with Eddie Gómez

Edited by HutchFan