Herbie Mann (and other jazz flute) recs, anyone?

Nutty

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

hey, i like them Soul Flutes!

Herbie Mann is on this, uncredited for contractual reasons. He was allowed to record one album in two years on other labels than Atlantic, but did more, of course. There`s a note found on discogs: " The identity of "The Fluteman" remains in question. While Herbie Mann has confirmed to researcher Dan Skea that he appears on this record, producer Creed Taylor has also informed this researcher that Hubert Laws is the mysterious flautist. Given the aural evidence, it is possible that both appear under this title." And I wonder if that "Henry Watts" credited for playing vibes actually was Roy Ayers - no other recordings by that guy to be found.

This and Herbie's A & M LP would have made a nice twofer CD.

R-11480826-1517089065-6796.jpeg.jpg R-1407315-1328012861.jpeg.jpg

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hear Hubert Laws on some of those cuts, yes. Mostly Mann, but not exclusively.

Both of those records are perfect examples of "that type of thing". I enjoy them both. Herbie Mann was not a soloist of infinite imagination. But you give him a solidly built-out context, and a melody to work, he'd give you a good enough "genre" record. These are two of the primest example of that, imo.

16 hours ago, JSngry said:

I wonder whether that comes with the territory slightly.

I am an ex-flute player myself, and love the flute in jazz, but I have noticed that it sometimes attracts less innovative players. My personal view is that the quality of imaginative jazz soloing and composition on the flute is generally not equivalent to e.g. clarinet.  I accept that’s a nebulous and subjective view.

I think it’s telling that, going by this and other flute threads on here, many people’s favourite flute players are often multi-instrumentalists who play the flute, rather than dedicated flute players.  The best pure flute records by dedicated flute players are to my ears often genre records, with an emphasis on earthy blues groove. 

That isn’t to say they are bad records: I have lots of time for them.

(Edit: I’m immediately thinking of exceptions - James Newton, Nicole Mitchell, etc.)

Edited by Rabshakeh

I don't believe Harold McNair has yet been mentioned. But a fine flute (and tenor) player probably most known for his contribution to Donovan's discography. But he also led some pretty interesting dates of his own.