Jandek

dave9199

I agree with your assessment. It's very life affirming in a weird way if you choose to believe it's about someone (possibly Smith) who has/had cancer. There is a 2cd live album in between Glasgow Sunday & Glasgow Monday called Newcastle Monday (I think) I stopped buying the studio albums because I don't derive any enjoyment from them, but the live ones are very interesting. I'll keep buying those. He has released a dvd of Glasgow Sunday also. It's interesting just to watch a guy who, to his fans, is such a mystery. Makes you realize, he's just a regular guy.

• Replies 489
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm playing Glasgow Monday at work with my office door open and a woman from the department in front of me stopped by to ask who it was because they want to buy a copy.

I think they can only hear snippets of his piano playing, so I'm going to lend them the discs so they can hear his vocals before deciding to buy a copy.

I also had to explain that they most likely would not find a copy of this at the music store at the local mall.

Edited to add that I've listened to this set daily since it arrived. I really like this one a lot.

Edited by John B

• 9 months later...

Up for some air, as Corwood has just released the 50th Jandek cd.

There is a nice review of Manhattan Tuesday over at Dusted.

I was already intrigued, based on the musicians (Loren Connors, Matt Heyner and Chris Corsano) plus the idea of Jandek on Korg synth, but the reviews I've been reading have pushed this disc towards the "must buy" category.

I still have very little interest in picking up the recent studio albums but he is on a roll with the live releases.

Just spun MANHATTAN TUESDAY, ummm, this past Tuesday. It is indeed very strong, and quite unlike any other Jandek recording I've heard. More shading and nuance here that I had expected; strong overtones of Miles' "He Loved Him Madly" in the pairing of Loren Connors' effects-laden guitar and The Representative's Korg synths. Typically bleak lyrics, nearly nihilistic, and yet the tone in which they are delivered is often oddly... gracious.

And, for North Texas residents...Jandek In Fort Worth (with Susan Alcorn, Ralph White, et al.)

It's nice to see this thread again. I'm behind 2 live albums (I'm no longer buying the studio ones, unless he plays with other people). 50 albums in 29 years. While I don't think his music works all the time, I do think his album art works every time. If you made a collage of the covers it would look fantastic.

• 4 months later...

Has anyone picked up any of the live dvds yet?

I just counted 13 cds of live material as well as 4 dvds released to date. This includes a 4cd live set. Not too shabby for someone who had never performed live until a few years back.

I just placed an order for a few of the sets. I'm really looking forward to Manhattan Tuesday, with Loren Connors.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh John B, there is such a thing for me as too much Jandek & I hit the wall a year & a half ago. At most I had 45 albums, I now have 19.

Ready for The House

Six & Six

Later On

Chair Beside A Window

Living In A Moon So Blue (your favorite & now a personal favorite of mine along with...)

Staring At The Cellophane (...this one)

Your Turn To Fall

Telegraph Melts

Follow Your Footsteps

Blue Corpse

You Walk Alone

On The Way

Graven Image

Lost Cause

The Beginning

I Threw You Away

Glasgow Sunday

Newcastle Sunday

Glasgow Monday

I've had no urge to buy any more though if one is talked up like Glasgow Monday was, I certainly buy it. His last one was a live 4 cd set. Too much depression for me.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a pal that needed to complete his Jandek discography [he only needed 11 more] so we went in on an order of 20 titles. I now have 10 Jandek discs, and look forward to digging in. At $4 each, it is a pretty reasonable gamble.

• 10 months later...

I forgot to mention this; I got to see Jandek play in Chapel hill, NC in February. It was pretty good. The drummer made the first song absolutely fucking fantastic. The bass player was someone whom I've met as she's in a band around here in Durham. The keyboard player was a guy from The Mountain Goats who I've never listened to. I knew one of the guys promoting it and was hanging out after the show, saw Sterling Smith chatting with people & walked over to chat for a bit. He recognized my name as we had a few phone conversations. Though I still have no interest in buying anymore of his albums, I will buy this show when it comes out which would be in a few years I'm guessing.

For me, his artwork works every time, but not his music. I still like his earlier sound than the more recent sound of anything past 2002.