Collection Curiosities

JohnS

I came across this over twenty years ago in a second hand bin in one of the London shops, I forget which one now. No jacket unfortunately. As well as it being a bit out of the ordinary I was particularly pleased as it was the only issued Andrew Hill album I did not have and it was pretty hard to come by at the time.

That is really cool JohnS! I wonder how it made its way across the pond? I recall a story where another test pressing of a date featuring Eric Dolphy (forget which right now) was found in a record store in England. It proved to be an entirely different version of the album than what was ultimately released.

I wish I'd checked out those 2nd hand London bins 20 years ago John with the same manic scrutiny that I do these days. Sadly, I don't think there's too much chance of picking up more Andrew Hill test pressings anytime soon. Truly a wonderful find !

Let me guess - Colletts maybe? Mole? Honest Jon's?

:rhappy:

PS - It's entirely possible that I might have skipped over this and other such gems in the racks, totally oblivious ! ;)

Edited by sidewinder

Bob,

I'm guessing it was Asman's.  I found the Sonny Clark Trio there around the same time for £2.00.  Now days I don't have the patience to search the bins like I did then.

Don't remember Asman's, John. Most of my searching around that time was at Mole and Honest Jon's - but of course as a mere impoverished student I could never afford those lovely King and Toshiba imports that were forever taunting me from the racks. It was the bargain cut-out bins for me ! :(

Talking about test pressings, I noticed one on ebay a while back for Alan Shorter's 'Orgasm', on Verve. The seller was from Argentina - I really should have taken the plunge on that one but the purchase looked a bit messy ...

Seller from Argentina - couldn't have been Gato, could it ? :blink:

:rhappy:

Edited by sidewinder

Jim, it's the "Ellington Suite" by Chico Hamilton that you're describing.

Really a great find!

Whatta great album. I should dig it out and listen to it again soon. I've been cutting back on my buying and checking out my collection. Way too many years of buying and buying and buying.....it did get quite a few spins when I first purchased it.