CDs taken from vinyl

Shrdlu

Awhile back, I got a near mint LP of "Tide", by Jobim. It has a superb sound stage, and is sonically superior to the 24 bit Japanese CD, which I also have - though that is still a fine CD. The CD mix is very different from that on the LP, too.

I transferred the LP to CDr with Musicmatch, for convenience, and to save wear and tear on the vinyl. To my ears, there is virtually no difference in sound between that CDr and the LP, and the CDr is better than the Japanese CD. It sounded superb yesterday when I played it again. The house was empty, and I had a rare chance to listen uninterrupted using the speakers. Ahhh!

So, my idea is: why not put out some CD reissues taken from a good LP copy, if one can be found? That way, the original mix can be retained and the sound is going to be good. This is not an original idea, and it had to be done when they put out a proper CD reissue of "Louis Armstrong Plays W.C. Handy", as the Columbia klutzes had lost the original tapes when they switched to fake stereo.

Just a thought, but don't dismiss it out of hand too quickly.

I saw a comment somewhere about the "Peter Gunn" album, and the guy said that he had never heard a CD that had a mix as good as that on the LP. Having the LP, I agree.

Not a bad idea, at least in principal. I know people who prefer a CDR of a clean LP to a "real" CD of the same album.

No doubt it's "superstition" on my part, but I think there's something to be said for retaining an analog link in the chain somewhere, as close to the end product, if possible.

Look into HHB burners. I bought one early this year and LOVE it. Very nice transfers, lots of nice options as far as more useful level controls for both incoming digital and analog, balance, fading up or down, etc. . . . Quality machine, quality ADC and DAC converters, easy to use.

A friend of mine had a stand-alone that hooked up to his turntables. It burned real time, he would manually start and stop it recording. Really cool. It was recently stolen from his apartment, and I don't remember the details (make/model/etc). I'll have to ask him when I get a chance.

Look into HHB burners. I bought one early this year and LOVE it. Very nice transfers, lots of nice options as far as more useful level controls for both incoming digital and analog, balance, fading up or down, etc. . . . Quality machine, quality ADC and DAC converters, easy to use.

I've owned HHB Burners for years. Very high quality, never a problem. :tup

No doubt this method will produce better sound that recent cd releases. anyone know about the stand alone units that don't require a computer?

I very much like my stand alone audio component CDR (Denon W1500). I'm a computer idiot, so this has worked well for me.

I have much of my vinyl collection on CD for car use.

From my tube phono stage the signal goes straight to the Denon. I love the quality, but I've not done a ton of comparisons. I've had more than a few comments from friends that my copies sound great.

Back to Shrdlu's post. Sure I've thought of it. If I lived in Europe I'd be giving it more thought, due to the shorter time for recordings to reach public domain.

For example, I have no doubt I could do an excellent job on many Mosaic LP sets and mint Blue Notes that I have. Chances are they would sound as good as what's being put out now by the PD labels.

Edited by wolff

As one who has benefited from your use of this machine, I can attest to the fact that transfers from source cassettes are excellent. The only negative I can see is that when indexing the tracks from a live recording, a split second of silence is inserted during the applause between cuts.

I think the first cd release of "Chet Baker and Strings" was taken off of someone's Lp (they thanked her).  I'm not sure of teh source of later re-issues. Are there any other commercial releases like that?

One of the Rounder Mississippi John Hurt CDs was supposedly taken off an LP from the collection of one of their employees who is a fanatical collector.

I can't remember the name of the CD issue, but the LP was entitled Mississippi John Hurt - Volume One of a Legacy (Piedmont-Legacy 1068). I have the LP in my collection, so I never bought the CD.