CDs taken from vinyl

Shrdlu

Here is link to the one I use. I've used it quite a bit and it's worked flawlessly.

CD recorder

h033CDRW15h.jpeg

This is the same burner I have and it works great. I highly recommend it.

I'll second Wolff in saying that it makes great copies of LPs. I've done a ton for the car, and while I've never done any comparisons to released CDs of the same material, my ears like them.

I'm glad I started this thread!

It would be easier with a stand-alone rig. I have to lug the turntable upstairs to the computer and hook it up to the back of the computer, routing it through a pre-amp to get the signal up to "line" level. I also have to run a ground wire from the turntable to the computer chassis. But it's worth it.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of CDs taken from vinyl, a newly released Japanese CD of Gary McFarland's "Today" album has just arrived. Turns out that it's taken from an LP, and it wasn't exactly VG+. D'Oh! And I didn't bid on an LP on eBay that was billed as near mint. Oh well, it's the first Japanese CD that disappointed some. (Actually, the transfer from LP to CD is done superbly. Too superbly, perhaps.)

If we are listing CDs dubbed from vinyl, there is one track (After You've Gone) on the Lou Donaldson: Quartet/Quintet/Sextet CD (Blue Note 81537).

Mike

There's one track on the RVG of Brownie's Jazz Immortal too. And there was alot of talk (in another thread) that the RVG of Duke Pearson's Sweet Honey Bee is all from a vinyl source. Anyone know if there's truth to that?

I believe that the story was that the master tapes to 'Sweet Honey Bee' had somehow gone AWOL.

Another session that was taken from LP for the CD issue is the Bill Pots 'Jazz Soul of Porgy and Bess', the subject of a recent thread. Again, the United Artists master tape could not be located and the CD was compiled with assistance of Bill Potts using best available LP sources.

• 9 years later...

Just to jump in, the very best burner is the no longer made Plextor Premium II. There are some left over brand new ones available on eBay. Best burner ever made. Another very very good one is the Tascam 1000HD but quite expensive but if you have the money you can do a lot with that unit. But the very best sounding one is the Plextor Premium II. I'm only making other members aware of this as didn't see it on the list above. If you do it correctly with great playback vinyl equipment, good wire, top A to D converter (not easy) and a very good burner, one can make a superb vinyl copy onto CD.

Edited by JLH