Serena Williams vs The World

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, paul secor said:

McEnroe is just an old retired tennis player who wants to keep his name out there by trying to create controversy. Who cares what he says? Just pack it up and live out your retirement, John.

Actually McEnroe is the third ranked tennis player on the senior tour, at the age of 57, and trails Mark Phillipousis who was about 15 years old when McEnroe retired, and Andy Roddick who was competing on the men's tour just a few years ago. Mac was #1 in 2014.

http://www.powersharesseries.com/rankings.php

Someone should ask McEnroe how the players on the senior tour would fare against Serena.

For me, the senior tour is nostalgia. Who needs it?

Of course its nostalgia. Nevertheless McEnroe is competing, and apparently beating, players up to 20 years younger.  He's 57 for cripes sake.

And as far as your first question goes, I'll say it: right now, Andy Roddick beats a not-pregnant Serena.

4 hours ago, Dan Gould said:

Of course its nostalgia. Nevertheless McEnroe is competing, and apparently beating, players up to 20 years younger.  He's 57 for cripes sake.

And as far as your first question goes, I'll say it: right now, Andy Roddick beats a not-pregnant Serena.

The senior tennis tour is like three on three basketball - a bunch of old guys trying to do what they used to do. If people want to pay to see something like that, it's their money.

Edited by paul secor

The senior tennis tour is like three on three basketball - a bunch of old guys trying to do what they used to do. If people want to pay to see something like that, it's their money.

I wouldn't pay for it either but its not 3 on 3 basketball. The balls, the court, everything is the same and I bet Phillipousis and Roddick hit just as hard as they did on the tour.  So, yeah. Except, not so much.

1 hour ago, Scott Dolan said:

I certainly wouldn't minimize someone a few years shy of 60 beating 30-somethings at tennis.

Agree. Same thing with senior pro golf. A lot of those guys are still capable of beating much younger competitors.

5 hours ago, paul secor said:

McEnroe is just an old retired tennis player who wants to keep his name out there by trying to create controversy. Who cares what he says? Just pack it up and live out your retirement, John.

This seems silly. Do you disregard opinions from retired pro football players? How about basketball and baseball?

1 hour ago, catesta said:

Agree. Same thing with senior pro golf. A lot of those guys are still capable of beating much younger competitors.

If so, that says more about the younger competitors than it does about the old guys.

1 hour ago, catesta said:

This seems silly. Do you disregard opinions from retired pro football players? How about basketball and baseball?

Yes I do - see Terry Bradshaw, Bill Walton, Charles Barkley, and Pete Rose - to name a few.

Edited by paul secor

Catesta said:  "Same thing with senior pro golf. A lot of those guys are still capable of beating much younger competitors." I assume he was speaking about current tour players, and not just any 25 year old bozo who plays golf.

You can turn it around any way you want, but again, and I'll word it differently -  Name me another major sport where a 60 year old can compete against a 25 year old currently competing athlete and beat them.

Edited by paul secor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...