Serena Williams vs The World

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

She "has never cheated" yet her coach says he's coaching "every point".

I always said its an archaic rule serving no real purpose. Everybody has a coach nowadays and if they want to give mid-match advice via hand signals, have at it.  Players still have to execute their shots, hand signals never won a match.

But the rules are the rules, her own coach admits violating them.  I haven't seen the post-match stuff, is she playing the victim?

All the coaches do it but hers got caught. She lost her cool and let things get out of control. Calling the umpire a thief didn’t help matters. 

As Dan said it’s an archaic rule but rules are rules.

She nearly cowed Osaka into losing but she managed to keep her composure for one last game. 

Displays like that are why I’ve never been a big fan of Serena’s. 

10 hours ago, Brad said:

One of the most disgusting displays of sportsmanship I’ve ever seen.  I’m so glad Osaka won. 

I won’t go THAT far, but she certainly could have done a better job keeping her frustration under control. At the same time, the referee should have also kept HIS frustration under control and de-escalated the situation rather than making it worse. 

It was ugly, but both share the blame, IMO. 

Edited by Scott Dolan

39 minutes ago, erwbol said:

Narcissistic temper tantrum by Williams. So what you're a mother? And FUCK that crowd. FUCK them.

I believe she did a disgrace to herself - a role model looks definitely different .... another example where super stardom stands for loosing touch with reality .... and the crowd ? no comment necessary ....

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its-shameful-what-us-open-did-to-naomi-osaka/

My mother-in-law worked at Macy's in the Palm Beach Gardens Mall for many, many years. On more than one occasion the Williams sisters came to her department. When she approached to offer assistance, she was intercepted by their "assistants" and told in no uncertain terms that she was not to speak to them, that their assistants would inform them what was required of her.

I submit that same attitude was on display yesterday.

7 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

https://nypost.com/2018/09/08/its-shameful-what-us-open-did-to-naomi-osaka/

My mother-in-law worked at Macy's in the Palm Beach Gardens Mall for many, many years. On more than one occasion the Williams sisters came to her department. When she approached to offer assistance, she was intercepted by their "assistants" and told in no uncertain terms that she was not to speak to them, that their assistants would inform them what was required of her.

I submit that same attitude was on display yesterday.

I suspect -- but could be and may be wrong -- that a lot of wealthy people act like that, not that it's excusable. 

I find the reaction on Twitter amusing, people saying the umpire was sexist or racist or both.  She was getting beaten and did what she could to change the outcome. Sometimes you just have to take it and smile. 

28 minutes ago, Brad said:

I suspect -- but could be and may be wrong -- that a lot of wealthy people act like that, not that it's excusable. 

I find the reaction on Twitter amusing, people saying the umpire was sexist or racist or both.  She was getting beaten and did what she could to change the outcome. Sometimes you just have to take it and smile. 

Indeed. 

As for Dan’s anecdote, people that grow up in bubbles similar to the Williams sister tend to act that way sheerly out of lack of perspective, IMO. Though as you said, that is still not an excuse for behaving that way. 

Fined $17,000 for her actions:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/tennis/serena-williams-fined-dollar17000-for-code-violations-during-us-open-final/ar-BBN5AEk?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U220DHP

And reading the definition of actionable verbal abuse, is there any doubt it was appropriate that he issue the game penalty?

29 minutes ago, Dan Gould said:

And reading the definition of actionable verbal abuse, is there any doubt it was appropriate that he issue the game penalty?

lots of doubt

James BlakeVerified account @JRBlake 16h16 hours ago

James Blake Retweeted Ramona Shelburne

I will admit I have said worse and not gotten penalized. And I’ve also been given a “soft warning” by the ump where they tell you knock it off or I will have to give you a violation. He should have at least given her that courtesy. Sad to mar a well played final that way.