Serena Williams vs The World

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went yesterday. I saw Mauresmo, Federer and Capriati. Fairly good, if predictable, matches. Federer didn't look like he was in top form; Roddick may have a chance. Mauresmo was quite good, but is no match for Serena. Capriati struggled against an opponent (Chlakova) with a miserable serve (in all seriousness, Chlakova's second serve looked very much like a good recreational player's first serve). I don't think Crapiati has it in her. I guess I'll go out on a short limb and predict Serena and Roddick as this year's champs.

Serena is BOOTY-LICIOUS

I hadn't noticed... ;)

Have you seen that commercial??? I had to leave the room before my wife saw my face...I must have looked like that wolf in the Tex Avery cartoons and my eyes were about to fall out and bounce on the floor!

Now I have to ask -- WHAT COMMERCIAL? Sounds like a must see.

my girlfriend was f**kin' robbed on some line calls last night.

they are replaying it on tv now

serena shoulda kicked the chair umpire's ass

agassi vs federer tonight, should be a good match

ss1

That was absolutely THE worst officiated tennis match I have ever seen. I've seen similar numbers of blown calls once or twice before, but NEVER all against the same player and NEVER in a grand slam. Normally they come close to balancing out. Last night's match was an absolute disgrace. That chair ump should be fired immediately and banned from the sport. She had the chair at the matches I attended last week and was somewhat less than professional then, but nothing even close to last night.

None of those calls were even close, by tennis standards.

Apparently there were at least FOUR blown calls. :tdown

That was just in the last set. Serena would have broken in the second set if it hadn't been for a SCORING ERROR (!!!!) by the totally incompetent chair. Serena hit a winner that was clearly in, and the line judge called it in, but the chair just effed up and gave the point to Crapiati, who proceeded to celebrate the error! It was totally unbelievable! An analogy would be you're at a ballgame where the home team hits a homerun, but the ump gives the point to the visitors! The &$#(# chair then refused to correct her obvious error!

From BBC Sport:

Tennis guru Nick Bollettieri says the US Open match between Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati was "one of the worst nights in the history of tennis".

Capriati won 2-6 6-4 6-4 to reach the last four but the match was plagued by a number of dubious calls, notably from Portuguese umpire Mariana Alves.

Bollettieri said: "Serena got robbed six times during the last set.

"Every reporter watching, including John McEnroe, could not believe the quality of the umpiring."

He added: "You could see on the court Serena was holding back the frustration because it was one of the worst examples in the history of tennis umpiring."

From BBC Sport:

Tennis guru Nick Bollettieri says the US Open match between Serena Williams and Jennifer Capriati was "one of the worst nights in the history of tennis".

Capriati won 2-6 6-4 6-4 to reach the last four but the match was plagued by a number of dubious calls, notably from Portuguese umpire Mariana Alves.

Bollettieri said: "Serena got robbed six times during the last set.

"Every reporter watching, including John McEnroe, could not believe the quality of the umpiring."

He added: "You could see on the court Serena was holding back the frustration because it was one of the worst examples in the history of tennis umpiring."

I didn't see the match myself, but everyone in my office was highly critical of the officiating and said that more than one call was blown against Serena Williams. it's a shame when a player loses because of that and not her performance on th :angry: e court.

Yes, there were some bad calls but she also made 57 unforced errors. So let's not just blame the umpire for the calls. Bad calls are part of any sport, you gotta deal with them and move on.

I'm glad she lost. She rubs me the wrong way. What she did in the Olympics was pathetic. She never had any intention of going and she waited until the last minute to withdraw, waiting so long in fact that the US couldn't name a replacement. I'm sure that somebody would have loved to be on the team but her selfish attitude cost somebody a spot. She can't lose enough to suit me.

Edited by Brad

Yes, there were some bad calls but she also made 57 unforced errors.

That's not so outrageous for a power player. What makes you say Serena had no intention of going to Athens? Her injury status was up in the air.

Jan,

It was all over the media in the City and was pretty actively discussed on WFAN by Chris Russo, who is a huge tennis fan.

She rubs me the wrong way.

To quote the late, unlamented missing one..."you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope"...she can rub me any way she wants... :excited:

Ahem. Pardon me; a little too much exhuberance there... :)

While we're at it, anybody else you want to dream (fantasize?) about rubbing you the wrong way :party: