BN New Releases, from AAJ Board

Peter Johnson

Cribbing this straight over from the "catching up with Tom Evered" thread at AAJ. Interesting information!

On October 5 the following will be available at your local retail outlet or via the web.

Connoisseurs

Andrew Hill - Dance of Death

Bobby Hutcherson - Now!

Sam Rivers - Contour

Horace Silver - The United States of Mind - combining all three United States of Mind LPs on two CDs.

Jack Wilson - Eastely Winds

Larry Young - Of Love and Peace

Also, a four disc Retrospective of Jimmy Smith's Blue Note career, packaged like the previous Grant Green and Horace Silver collections. Lots of nice photos, too.

In January we will issues five DVDs of material previously available on VHS and/or Laserdisc:

Lena Horne - An Evening With Lena Horne

Bobby McFerrin - Spontaneous Inventions

Power of Three - Michel Petrucciani, Jim Hall and Wayne Shorter

John Scofield - Live Three Ways, w/ Dr. John, Don Pullen, Joe Lovano three different groups

The Manhattan Project - Michel Petrucciani, Wayne Shorter, Stanley Clarke

and Rachelle Ferrell.

Also in January we will ship a hot new bebop/ Bird covers disc from the Italian

saxophonist Stefano Battista, featuring Kenny Barron.

Also...in March the next batch of RVGs

Blakey - A Night In Tunisia

Tina Brooks - True Blue

Johnny Coles - Little Johnny C

Pete LaRoca - Basra

Hank Mobley - Hi Voltage

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul

Art Blakey - Like Someone In Love

Sonny Clark - Dial S For Sonny

Grant Green - Feelin' The Spirit

Herbie Hancock - Speak Like A Child

Wayne Shorter - Night Dreamer

Horace Silver - And The Jazz Messengers

Also that month we will release a sampler of Rudy's favorite tunes from the RVG series, combined with a DVD featuring a wonderful interview with Rudy mentioned in a posting from a few months ago.

Well, I'm glad I spent time and energy finding some of this OOP stuff :angry: True Blue? Basra???!!! This is just further proof that if I can find it, it's guaranteed to be reissued! :lol:

Edited by Peter Johnson

Well, I'm glad I spent time and energy finding some of this OOP stuff  :angry:   True Blue?  Basra???!!!  This is just further proof that if I can find it, it's guaranteed to be reissued!   :lol:

welcome to the club.

Word. B-)

Secret handshake & decoding ring to come... just send us $10 and the doggybone from a recent RVG purchase.

Now - hmm. Well, it's an interesting record. But if you're looking for Dialogue or Components, this ain't it.

At points it's actually a lot like an adventurous rock record c. 1969 made by musicians instead of wannabes. If I presented it from that angle, rather than a jazz album, it might be more appealing to someone. The vocals are not of the Donald Byrd band & voices variety. There's lyrics. You got all kinds of other things you might not expect from a Blue Note record: wah wah guitar, etc.

I do have an interest in the jazz/rock border, especially pioneering efforts in that area, so this record is important.

Mike

I agree...how many of the first few batches of Connoisseurs have been reissued, at this point?

Seven, I think:

Grant Green, Green Street

Wayne Shorter, The all seeing eye

Lee Morgan, Leeway

Freddie Hubbard, Ready for Freddie

Kenny Dorham, Whistle stop

Clifford Jordan/John Gilmore, Blowin' in from Chicago

Jackie McLean, Destination out!

And five more in the next batch:

Sonny Clark, Dial s for Sonny

Johnny Coles, Litte Johnny C

Ike Quebec, Heavy Soul

Tina Brooks, True Blue

Pete LaRoca, Basra

Thanks I thought I checked there as well. I will be thrilled to buy Contours, a great record that stands with the best BN sessions, imso. I was hoping for Where Is Brooklyn as well, as MC indicated it could happen soon. As for the rest of the Sam Rivers BN music, let's hope those get reissued too. We love Sam. :tup