Rudresh Mahanthappa

John B

And it might yet come. Kinsmen has really gotten to me in a lot of ways, lots of implications about bi-lateral assimilations that play pout past the musical arena and such, but the bottom line is that this guy can play. He's really working on honing his own voice, and it is a voice that in some crucial ways is "first of it's kind" in jazz saxophony. Even if the worst that happens to him is that he becomes an "evolutionary figure", somebody who opened up a new direction for others to come after him, that's still notable, I think.

And truthfully,I think he will become more than that. And also, I'm not so sure that what he might consider "breaking loose" and what "we" consider "breaking loose" are entirely the same thing. That might actually end up being part of his contribution, the establishment/definition of the whats/wheres/hows of "breaking loose".

However, before I render any final verdict, I'm gonna need to hear him blow a few choruses of "Stella", just to see if he can really play...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with the positive feelings about both Black Water and Blood Sutra. I have another Iyer disc that Manhanthappa plays on, but I have not had a chance to listen to it yet. Other than those, if you can find it I would recommend Belgian guitarist, Pierre Lognay's recording on the Lyrae Records label, The New International Edition. In addition to the leader and Mahanthappa, the disc also features personal favorite Mark Turner on tenor. The music is somewhat reminiscent of some of Steve Coleman's music, who has influenced a few musicians in France and Belgium. Mahanthappa gets in quite a few burning solos on that disc.

I have Mother Tounge and it reminds me of Steve Coleman with Dave Holland. I'm not too familiar with other M-Base music.

I think I'll get Kinsman this week.

Guest Bill Barton

"Codebook" and "Black Water" still among my favorites. Recently purchased "Kinsmen", and repeated plays have reaped repeated Rudresh rewards! :)

Anybody heard "Apti" yet?

Yes, indeed. :tup

I really like the sparse trio instrumentation. To my ears, this disc comes closest to what Chuck said about finally breaking out and becoming amazing. The title track is a scorcher...

He sounded great in performance with the Two Rivers Ensemble in Seattle at last fall's Earshot Festival, by the way.

"Codebook" and "Black Water" still among my favorites. Recently purchased "Kinsmen", and repeated plays have reaped repeated Rudresh rewards! :)

Anybody heard "Apti" yet?

Yes, indeed. :tup

I really like the sparse trio instrumentation. To my ears, this disc comes closest to what Chuck said about finally breaking out and becoming amazing. The title track is a scorcher...

Excellent! I ordered it yesterday, and I'm really looking forward to hearing it.

Edited by Uncle Skid

I happened to be listening to NPR about a month ago when they interviewed Mahanthappa. During its course, they played several cuts from Kinsmen which, to say the least, were intriguing. As it turns out, this and several of his other recordings are available on iTunes. I downloaded Kinsmen and it has not disappointed. Certainly a new voice in jazz and one worth hearing.

Up over and out.

For those interested, here's the npr link

npr Rudresh

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Dupont T - Spider's Dance

300x300.jpg

Hubert Dupont: double-bass

Rudresh Mahanthappa: alto sax

Yvan Robilliard: piano

Chander Sardjoe: drums

Looks interesting, but I haven't bought it yet. I'm so used to hearing (and enjoying) Rudresh with Vijay Iyer on piano that somebody else in that role is both intriguing and a little disconcerting. :unsure:

Anybody heard this one yet? I see this lineup toured France and the USA in 2007 and 2008, but I'm unfamiliar with the rest of the band.

I have the Mauger record, and (after repeated listens, sometimes weeks apart), it still hasn't clicked for me. Not that I think it's a bad record -- it just never hit me like some of the other recordings with Rudresh.

For me, Rudresh's best performances are with Vijay Iyer. "Codebook", "Black Water", and "Blood Sutra" are still my favorites, followed by "Reimagining" and "Tragicomic".

I've seen him live twice this year, first with MAUGER that I like a lot (both concert & record, but to like both of them you must have a taste for free music) and with a trio made of a dutch "amplified" acoustic guitarist and Sardjoe on drums who was a total disappointement (they play "tunes" you know and never let go - I think that chuck would have find there some confirmation to what he think of Mahanthappa ). I've heard the record with DUPONT and it's, alas, nothing special. APTI is also a disappointement for this ears if you compare him to KINSMEN his best record IMO with CODEBOOK.

The Philly show that I saw on tour that he did w/ Kadri Gopalnath was the best I've ever heard him play. The music on Kinsmen evolved out of that tour. While I enjoy that album I think the show(and the other shows from that tour that I've heard) was much better. He had one of the NYC shows w/ Kadri Gopalnath streaming up on his website a few years back.

• 7 months later...

That sounds good!

I recently picked up a Lehman disc on Pi - pretty intriguing stuff!

And of course I mentioned seing Mahanthappa live twice recently (with Indo-Pak Coalition and in duo with Vijay Iyer). Also bought the disc with Kadri Gopalnath but it hasn't made it on top of the listening pile yet...

• 4 weeks later...

From the Pi website (dated April 22):

Ben Ratliff of The New York Times wrote a fantastic review of Rudresh Mahanthappa and Bunky Green’s Apex premier show at the Jazz Standard in NYC. The band is in the studio today and tomorrow recording for Pi Recordings. Look for the release, featuring Jason Moran and Jack DeJohnette, in the fall.

Edited by kh1958

From the Pi website (dated April 22):

Ben Ratliff of The New York Times wrote a fantastic review of Rudresh Mahanthappa and Bunky Green’s Apex premier show at the Jazz Standard in NYC. The band is in the studio today and tomorrow recording for Pi Recordings. Look for the release, featuring Jason Moran and Jack DeJohnette, in the fall.

I'll be looking.

Next weekend at Yoshi's Oakland:

The Jack DeJohnette Group

feat. Rudresh Mahanthappa, David Fiuczynski, George Colligan & Jerome Harris

whoa.... that's a group that has potential to do some serious damage (in the best sense of the word).

Sure wish I could be there!