Rudresh Mahanthappa

John B

I've been listening to Rudresh Mahanthappa's Black Water (Red Giant, 2002)again today. It features Mahanthappa on alto, Vijay Iyer on piano, Francois Moutin on bass and Elliot Humberto Kavee on drums. In my opinion this is a fantastic album! It really reminds me, in a way, of the Pullen / Adams discs I have heard in its ability to stretch the boundaries of "in the pocket" post-bop playing while never going too far "out."

I'm also a fan of Mahanthappa's playing on Vijay Iyer's Blood Sutra. I have heard that Mahanthappa has a new disc scheduled for release in October, which I am very much looking forward to hearing.

So, is anyone else here a fan of his? Any recommendations for other albums as a sideman to track down? I know that he had one album as a leader released prior to Black Water, but I have no idea how easy it would be to track down a copy. AMG mentions that it had "limited distribution."

f57081d74cm.jpg

Edited by John B

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in New York about a year ago, and after the Jazz Gallery turned the house after the first set, I walked over to Sweet Rhythm for the second set, without being familiar with Vijay Iyer. I was immediately strongly taken by the music, with Mahantappa on alto, and was back the next night for two sets.

I agree with the positive feelings about both Black Water and Blood Sutra. I have another Iyer disc that Manhanthappa plays on, but I have not had a chance to listen to it yet. Other than those, if you can find it I would recommend Belgian guitarist, Pierre Lognay's recording on the Lyrae Records label, The New International Edition. In addition to the leader and Mahanthappa, the disc also features personal favorite Mark Turner on tenor. The music is somewhat reminiscent of some of Steve Coleman's music, who has influenced a few musicians in France and Belgium. Mahanthappa gets in quite a few burning solos on that disc.

Edited by relyles

I just remembered that Iyer's Panoptic Modes also features Mahanthappa.  That is another great album.  I'm not as fond of it as I am of Blood Sutra, but I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Mahanthappa and Iyer.

Persuaded by your recommendation and a few sound samples on AMG, I just ordered Blood Sutra and Black Water from CD Connection.

I just remembered that Iyer's Panoptic Modes also features Mahanthappa.  That is another great album.  I'm not as fond of it as I am of Blood Sutra, but I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in Mahanthappa and Iyer.

Persuaded by your recommendation and a few sound samples on AMG, I just ordered Blood Sutra and Black Water from CD Connection.

Let me know what you think! I think you'll really both of those.

• 2 months later...

I just heard Rudresh's new album Mother Tongue (Pi) for the first time yesterday. It is a fantastic album! If you enjoyed Black Water I highly recommend picking up the new one asap.

I heard it earlier this week, and found it to be very good. The constant non-free-ish "high intensity" of the pieces kind of made be want to come up for air a few times, but I was listening on headphones at a particularly busy night at work. Lots of distractions. I relistened at home later that morning, and it was cool.

• 3 years later...

Bringing this one up again -- I saw Mahanthappa at Edgefest this year, and I've been listening to Codebook (Pi) a lot this year. Vijay Iyer - piano, Francois Moutin - bass, Dan Weiss - drums. From start to finish, a very interesting and compelling record.

h81505uetqz.jpg

I'm also really enjoying Iyer's Blood Sutra. My first record I purchased with Iyer/Mahanthappa was Reimaging (2005), but although I liked that one immediately, I find myself returning to Codebook and Blood Sutra most often.

I also have "Mother Tongue" and Iyer's "Panoptic Modes". I wasn't aware of Black Water, but I'll be looking for that one.

Any other recommendations? Anybody familiar with the duet recording "Raw Materials"?

Rudresh Mahanthappa has a pretty distinctive voice, an exception to the sound-alike players the music schools take pride in producing. I've grown to really like his playing on Reimagining, I've been meaning to explore some more, thanks for bringing up this thread. According to his website he has a new cd due out in Fall 2008. rudresh

I missed him in concert last month, when I had to be in a wedding. It was the Kinsmen/Svajanam group, with this line-up:

A. Kanyakumari (violin)

Rez Abbasi (guitars)

Carlo De Rosa (bass)

Poovalur Sriji (mridangam)

royal hartigan (drums)

Kadri Gopalnath (sax)

I had to miss Gopalnath to be in a wedding. My buddy owes me. :rcry

I've seen Rudresh 3 times(just missed him on Friday due to my nasty head cold :rmad: ). Each performance was excellent. The best was 2 or 3 years ago when he was touring w/ Kadri Gopalnath. That was some of best music I've heard in my life. I wish he would put out an album from that tour/ project.

• 1 year later...

I happened to be listening to NPR about a month ago when they interviewed Mahanthappa. During its course, they played several cuts from Kinsmen which, to say the least, were intriguing. As it turns out, this and several of his other recordings are available on iTunes. I downloaded Kinsmen and it has not disappointed. Certainly a new voice in jazz and one worth hearing.

Up over and out.

You need to get the excellent Raw Materials (and I need to get Codebook).

:tup

Good idea... I just ordered Raw Materials and Black Water.

We'll expect your review of "Codebook" post-haste! :)

I did buy Codebook, and like it. To the recommended list, add Mauger, on Cleanfeed (Rudresh with Gary Hemingway and Mark Dresser).

You need to get the excellent Raw Materials (and I need to get Codebook).

:tup

Good idea... I just ordered Raw Materials and Black Water.

We'll expect your review of "Codebook" post-haste! :)

I did buy Codebook, and like it. To the recommended list, add Mauger, on Cleanfeed (Rudresh with Gary Hemingway and Mark Dresser).

And I bought "Raw Materials", and agree it is quite excellent.

The Mauger disc really hasn't hit me yet, and I'm not really sure why. Rudresh just didn't seem to hit the heights I hear on his other records -- maybe in the presence of legendary Braxton-alums like Dresser and Hemingway, he might have toned it down a bit.

Rudresh just didn't seem to hit the heights I hear on his other records -- maybe in the presence of legendary Braxton-alums like Dresser and Hemingway, he might have toned it down a bit.

This encapsulates a reservation I have for all I have heard. He never (for me) breaks loose and becomes amazing. I hope for that.