Rudresh Mahanthappa

John B

Next weekend at Yoshi's Oakland:

The Jack DeJohnette Group

feat. Rudresh Mahanthappa, David Fiuczynski, George Colligan & Jerome Harris

I heard this group in April without Colligan. They played mostly well known DeJohnette tunes. Mahanthappa at times incorporated the"kinsmen" tone in to his playing to good effect. Very enjoyable performance.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Apex now shows up on the Pi website, showing a release date of September 2010.

Apex

Rudresh Mahanthappa & Bunky Green

Jack DeJohnette

Bunky Green

Rudresh Mahanthappa

Jason Moran

Francois Moutin

Damion Reid

I heard the group at its Jazz Standard whow. Really looking forward to hearing the recording.

Looks like Rudresh is going to be at the Detroit Jazz Fest. I was about to get a little snippy about that (the Chicago Jazz Fest is looking a wee bit thin this year). Then I noticed that he is at the Chicago Jazz Showcase the last week of Sept! I'll go at least once, maybe twice. Sweet.

Unfortunately, the only upcoming Apex performances are in New York, but that may change.

Edited by ejp626

I attended his gig here in my hometown a week ago. It was his first gig ever in Finland and although I'm somehow familiar with his music, he left me somehow cold occasionally. Some of the songs were fantastic but some songs didn't do me anything. I guess I need more time to appreciate his music.

• 4 years later...

I just finished listening to Bird Calls, and found it an odd experience. He seems to intend it as an homage to Charlie Parker (on the album's Amazon product page, you can read his liner notes about the project's intent). I hear a lot of music here, but very little Bird. Bird's music could be intense, but was also upbeat and swinging. Mahanthappa's music here sounds to me like a combination of the anxiety-based, urgent music of McCoy Tyner (from his Milestone days) and the fill-every-moment-with-a-note-and-drum-accent fusion music of Return To Forever and Billy Cobham. Some compositions have an ECM eastern-European feel. All well and good, but no Bird. I think the impulse on Mahanthappa's part was sincere (not just a marketing aspect), but really don't know what he was thinking. His playing is good, btw; his sound on the alto reminds me of Cannonball.

41nhDMryjsL._SS280.jpg

It's an odd one, I don't think it captures the spirit of Parker. Speaking of contemporary Parker tributes, am I crazy, but in "Functional Arrhythmias" by Steve Coleman are those closing unison passages by Coleman and Jonathan Finlayson direct Parker quotes?

I heard the album performed live in January, and I've listened to the CD quite a few times; personally I have really enjoyed most of it. Nice trumpet player too.

Edited by Hoppy T. Frog

It's an odd one, I don't think it captures the spirit of Parker. Speaking of contemporary Parker tributes, am I crazy, but in "Functional Arrhythmias" by Steve Coleman are those closing unison passages by Coleman and Jonathan Finlayson direct Parker quotes?

I heard the album performed live in January, and I've listened to the CD quite a few times; personally I have really enjoyed most of it. Nice trumpet player too.

I think you are confusing the intent a little. I do not think it is supposed to sound like Charlie Parker at all. The compositions may be based on Parker compositions and solos, but otherwise Mahanthappa intended it to sound like nothing, but Mahanthappa.

• 5 years later...