Destination Out

MichL

Welcome Michael.

I have not heard the RVG, but am interested in what people have to say, particularly when comparing it to the sound on the Moncur Mosaic Select set, which is also in 24 bit and was just issued last year. This is one of my favorite sessions.

The Connoisseur is clearly superior to the later Mosaic Select, which seems to have been NoNoise'd.

I have just received the RVG and briefly compared it to the Connoisseur. My first impression was that the RVG sounded better, more dynamic and detailed, but with the usual RVG spike on cymbals. I haven't listened to it completely yet.

The Connoisseur is clearly superior to the later Mosaic Select, which seems to have been NoNoise'd.

I have just received the RVG and briefly compared it to the Connoisseur. My first impression was that the RVG sounded better, more dynamic and detailed, but with the usual RVG spike on cymbals. I haven't listened to it completely yet.

What IS the deal with the RVG need to turn it up on the cymbals? The brightness is really off-putting. I have a Japanese King LP, I'll stick with that.

Edited by ajf67

This post has got me curious re: the cymbals. I'll have a listen to the NY USA and King pressings this weekend. Great music by the way ! (but there again weren't all of Jackie's 60s Blue Notes great?)

The original LP of DO sounds ok, maybe a tad hot. My statement was more of a generalization on how some BN's sound to me, and in my opinion seem like a hard thing to get right in the remastering. Little room for error on the high end and uper mid-range. The fatigue ajf67 experiences is common to me, too. The cause is unnatural peaks/distortion/forwardness of the upper frequencies on some BN's. This can be a case where sound gets in the way of me enjoying the music.