Help me choose 1 of 3

The piggy bank is full and it's time to go Mosaic shopping again!

I'd like to get some comments and recommnedations about the following sets (in no particular order):

The Complete Blue Note Elvin Jones Sessions (#195)

how representative are the 3 sample tracks.... yeah, I know only 3 sample tracks and 8 discs....

does a lot of the material devolve into drum fests?

I really like the first sample, "For All The Other Times"

How does the live material sound?

The Complete Roost Sonny Stitt Studio Sessions (#208)

whew 9 discs! will I get bored? There are a lot of tracks right around the 3 minute mark. Does Sonny ever get a chance to stretch out and solo?

The Blue Note Stanley Turrentine Quintet/Sextet Sessions (MD5-212)

Was Stanley much of a composer? I don't see his name on many of the tunes. I see a lot of standards. Does he bring something of his own to the familiar tunes?

Thanks! I look forward to your comments and suggestions.

Edited by mgraham333

I have all three of these, and I say go for the Turrentine. I would say that in addition to being just plain great music, there's also a bit more variety (to my ears) in the Turrentine than in the other two sets. I think there's the least amount of variety in the Stitt set. Having said that, all three are great and you'll be happy with any of them. :rhappy:

Edited by vibes

Of those three, I only own the Elvin box - but I'd go with the Turrentine too. It's on my "buy within the next year" list, and I'm pretty sure that it has more variety (as someone else also said up above), than the Elvin set. I do like the Elvin set, but I don't listen to it as much as some of my other BN Mosaics.

Can't speak to the Stitt - as I've never heard any of the material. A friend of mine swears by it, but he's only heard it a couple times, on loan from another friend of his.

OK, add two more to the list of potentials:

The Complete Columbia J.J. Johnson Small Group Sessions (#169)

I have The Eminent Vols. 1 & 2 do I really need that much more JJ?

The Complete Small Group Johnny Hodges Verve Sessions 1956-61 (#200)

Lots of superlatives in the reviews on the Mosaic site... Can such high praise be taken at face value?

<RANT>

I really wish there were samples for all of the mosaic sets....they wouldn't even have to be full songs, 30 sec. clips would be nice.

And of course the very nature of the mosaic sets means most of the music is not readily available elsewhere at least not anywhere that would have samples.

</RANT>

You've just made the choice a LOT harder. IMO, it's between Hodges and JJ now. I'm sorry, in your position I'd probably have to flip a coin. The good news is you don't lose either way.

Edit to add: I don't know if you "need" that much more JJ, but I wouldn't want to be without it. I don't know how popular of an opinion this is, but I like the JJ box at least as much as Eminent 1 and 2 and probably more. If you're shorter on Hodges than you are on JJ, maybe that tips the scales slightly in Hodges' direction.

Edited by J Larsen

The Complete Columbia J.J. Johnson Small Group Sessions (#169)

I have The Eminent Vols. 1 & 2 do I really need that much more JJ?

The Complete Small Group Johnny Hodges Verve Sessions 1956-61 (#200)

Lots of superlatives in the reviews on the Mosaic site... Can such high praise be taken at face value?

Yes, and yes. I'd say get the J.J. first, as it's likely going to go OOP first. Neither set will disappoint.

With those five selections, to me it comes down to two: Sonny Stitt or J.J.

I'd never listened to Sonny that much before I picked up this box. I enjoyed every second of it and was never bored. The quality and the breadth is incredible. I became a devoted fan. You have to listen to this box to appreciate how incredible a musician he was. My favorite Mosaic, hands down. As a result of this Mosaic, I picked up almost any Sonny in cd I could find. Thank you, Mosaic.

JJ? I discovered Bobby Jaspar as a result and you'll love flute after this. This is an amazing Mosaic. Trombone is an instrument that I find fascinating, all thanks to this Mosaic.

It's a tough choice but I'd say go for the J.J. It's likely to go oop before Sonny. I don't have the Jones so I can't comment. Of the other two, Turrentine is the next best choice. Good stuff but not in the class of the other 2. I've listened to some of the Hodges lately and while I like it, I'd still choose between the Stitt and the J.J.

I've listened to some of the Hodges lately and while I like it, I'd still choose between the Stitt and the J.J.

Just for the sake of argument, I'd go for the Hodges. It's by far my most-listened to Mosaic. A terrific box that many others have praised in other threads (some recently).

john

All this talk about the Hodges and Johnson sets has gotten me interested in buying these sets. I've never heard the music on either of them. I've never even heard Hodges, and "The Eminent, Vol. 1" is the only Johnson I've ever heard. Can anyone say anything additional about these sets? Make comparisons to other artists/sets/albums? Any help would be appreciated...

All this talk about the Hodges and Johnson sets has gotten me interested in buying these sets. I've never heard the music on either of them. I've never even heard Hodges, and "The Eminent, Vol. 1" is the only Johnson I've ever heard. Can anyone say anything additional about these sets? Make comparisons to other artists/sets/albums? Any help would be appreciated...

Chances are, if you've heard any Duke Ellington, then you've heard Hodges (you may know this already). Hodges had a long tenure with Ellington's band, and this set includes some Ellingtonia, and much that's not. All of it is small-group jazz at its best.

If you want a taste of something similar (without spending so much $$$), pick up an Impulse CD called *Everybody Knows Johnny Hodges.* It should cost you about 12 bucks and, if you like it, you'll *really* dig the Mosaic.

john

No love for the Elvin Jones Mosaic? :( I think this set pays fine rewards with repeated listening. Plus, it's the only way (besides owning the vinyl) to get the wonderful The Ultimate Elvin Jones, a trio session with real huevos! Joe Farrell was a perfect fit with Elvin's band, and isn't too heavily influenced by Coltrane (or Coltrane's shadow). The Lighthouse material, as well, has some exceptional tenor interplay between Dave Liebman and Steve Grossman. Some of the "battles" (while actually quite friendly) are fierce with chromaticism and altered chord substitutions. My old saxophone teacher used to joke that this was the only album (Live at the Lighthouse) you needed to own in order to learn the tenor. (He was huge fan of Liebman and Grossman.)

This set is worth owning, at least down the road. Some of the later 70's stuff is iffy, but that's at the end (and skippable!) If Mosaic ever has a 10% off sale again, that would be a good time to pounce on this one.

I don't have a lot of Hodges but there's a new Proper box set out which I plan on picking up. So you may want to take a flier on that one.

Also, Side by Side under Duke Ellington's name although it's really a Johnny Hodges cd is stupendous. It's actually 2 sessions. Duke anchors the piano chair on one 1 session and Billy Strayhorn the other. I think it's fabulous.

Chances are, if you've heard any Duke Ellington, then you've heard Hodges (you may know this already).

Actually (scary as this might be :blink: ), I've never heard any Ellington big band material. In fact, the only Ellington I've ever heard is on the album he did with John Coltrane. That's why I asked about this material - I don't have a clue about it. Thank you for the recommendations.