Time Life - Giants of Jazz

charlesp

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been cleaning out a section of my basement - in part because I've been spinning a ton of recently acquired vinyl on my recently acquired turntable. The area I am cleaning will allow me access to my vinyl collection - which has been blockaded by an accumulation of crap for the past decade or so. I feel like it's taken longer than it took to reach the Chilean miners, but finally, today I reached my goal - and rediscovered a lot of lost treasures. Right now, I'm listening to the Coleman Hawkins Giants of Jazz set.

I counted the Giants of Jazz sets that I have and they number 28 - which I believe to be the entire collection based on this:

"These were 3-LP box sets with an embossed silver-covered 54-page book, and an 8x8 print suitable for framing (the same picture as on the LP box cover). There were 28 volumes in the series. The label was also silver, with black print, with the "Giants of Jazz" logo at the top." Quoted from this site - BSN Pubs Giants of Jazz discography

I remember purchasing this collection from someone on the Blue Note Bulletin Board a long time ago - can't remember from whom though. At any rate, if you're still out there - your collection has been well preserved and is once again being played.

Edited by Ed Swinnich

• 10 years later...

Hi, I've been in a 8 track mood recently. I got most of the series in 2 lots from the auction site. It seems that there are about 4-5 in the series that were released on vinyl but not 8 track, for example Bessie Smith, Lester Young, Frank Teschemacher. Can someone verify this please? Then I can stop looking to try and 'complete' the series! CheersĀ 

Edited by chobochobo